DariaCore

by Derek

Legal BS: Daria and all associated characters are property of MTV/Viacom.   EarthCore and all associated characters and creatures are property of Scott Sigler.  Both are used here without any permission whatsoever.  What are you going to do, sue me? (Just kidding!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jane: This school caving trip sucks.

Daria: Yeah. It's even worse than that hiking trip in the middle of a blizzard.

Jane: You'd think the teachers would've learned the first time. And why the hell did they have to take us to some cave in Utah? There's gotta be caves a LOT closer to Lawndale.

Daria: Ms. Li probably got paid to send us here.

Jane: Yeah.

They fell silent and concentrated on where to put their feet as they followed their classmates deeper into the Earth. Suddenly everybody stopped as they heard a noise from farther in the cave.

Daria: What was that?

Jane: It sounded like leaves rustling in the wind.

Daria: Don't be ridiculous, Jane. There's no leaves or wind this far underground.

The noise grew louder. Then the source came within range of their headlamps. A mass of tentacled, glowing orange creatures was coming up the tunnel towards them. Each tentacle held a curved, wicked-looking platinum knife.

Everyone panicked and tried to run back the way they had come, but the rocktopi were too fast. They fell upon the students and started hacking them to pieces. Screams filled the cave. Daria and Jane managed to break away from the group and run up the tunnel, with Jane quickly outdistancing Daria. The screams quickly died behind them.

Jane suddenly heard Daria scream behind her, a scream which was quickly cut short. Refusing to look behind her at what was left of her best friend, Jane put on an extra burst of speed, hoping to escape the rocktopi.

The rustling sound grew louder, and she realized the monsters were gaining on her. One of them slashed her leg and she fell, screaming in agony. The rocktopi leaped on top of her, raising it's knife above her head. Jane gave one last scream before it brought the knife down on her face.