The Self-Made Woman

MrAnonymous@valleyalley.com

 

We see Jane and Tom enter the Pizza King. After they enter we see a shot of the whole restaurant from their perspective. They are surprised to see Daria sitting at their regular booth with a very attractive woman enjoying dinner.

Jane

Well Well. Would you look at that. What' s Daria doing here? She said she didn't want to go out tonight.

Tom

She must have changed her mind. Who's that with her?

Jane

Can't say for certain but I have a good idea. Let's go make sure.

The pair approach the booth.

Jane

So this is what you mean by I'm staying in tonight.

Daria looks up at Jane with a slight amount of shock at seeing her.

Daria

Um, yea. There was a slight change of plans.

Jane

Obviously. So tell me who's your guest?

Daria

Uh. Jane, Tom, This is my Aunt Amy. Amy these are my friends Jane and Tom.

Amy looks at the pair with a smile.

Amy

So you're Jane. Nice to finally meet you. Daria has spoken about you often.

Jane

Wow. You mean Daria does talk to the outside world from time to time? I'm impressed.

Daria is slightly embarrassed by the conversation and interrupts.

Daria

She is family you know.

Amy sees Daria's embarrassment and decides to change the conversation a little.

Amy

So Jane, Tom you haven't had dinner yet? Sit down there's plenty here. It would be nice to get to know more about you.

Jane

No really. That's okay we just got here and it looks like you two are almost done. We'll sit at another booth and let you two finish your dinner.

Amy

Please. It would be no problem. I'll just order some more drinks. No point in seeing this go to waste. That's okay with you Daria?

Amy gets up and sits next to Daria. Jane and Tom proceed to sit across from them.

We see a shot of the same tray that first had about half of a fairly large pizza on it. It's now down to one very sad looking slice. We pull back to see the four still sitting at the booth. All four appear to be having a good time in their own unique way.

Jane

So that's what Helen was like as a kid. Sounds like she hasn't changed very much in the intervening years.

Amy

Well that's not exactly true. She quit wearing embroidered flowers on her blue jeans.

Just then a phone rings. Amy answers.

Hello? Oh hi. Yes I'm with Daria. We went to get something to eat. Yes. Yes. Okay. I'll be there in a few minutes.

She hangs up the phone.

Speak of the devil that was your mother. She wants to see me right now.

Daria

Well I guess we have no real way of avoiding her. She knows where we are. Jane, Tom we have to go.

Amy

Actually Daria she said she wants to see me. It would likely be best if you were to stay here for a little while. We need to take care of some things so you should likely avoid the house for a few minutes.

Daria

Uh, I can go up to my room. It's no problem.

Amy

No. I hate to do this but it would be better if you weren't around while Helen and I take care of this.

Daria seems to know what this is about.

Jane

Sure stay here for a while. It's no problem.

Jane smiles.

Daria

Okay. I'll be home later. You aren't going to leave before I get back?

Amy

No. I'll be there when you get back. Things aren't bad it's just some business your mother is taking care of for me. Have to make a few things legal.

Daria

Okay. I'll see you in a little while.

Amy gets out of the booth. She looks at Jane and Tom.

Amy

It was nice meeting you two. Perhaps we'll see each other before I leave Sunday. I'd like to see some of your art Jane.

Tom

It was a pleasure meeting you as well. Daria has mentioned you from time to time. It's always good to put a face with a name.

Jane

Yea it was nice. Come over anytime and uh, thanks for the Pizza.

Amy

My pleasure. Bye.

Jane/Tom

Goodbye.

Amy leaves. For a few seconds the trio just looks at each other. None of them know what to say. Finally Jane speaks up.

Jane

So that's the legendary Aunt Amy. Wow. She's great. I understand what you see in her.

Tom

She seems really nice. And also a little familiar.

Daria

Huh?

Tom

Realizing this might be the wrong thing to say.

Um, nothing.

Daria looks at the pair.

Daria

Look. I don't want to blow you guys off but I really do need to get back home and study. The only reason we went out is the only thing ready to eat in the house was some leftover pasta Dad made last night.

Tom

We can give you a ride home. The movie doesn't start for another forty minutes.

Daria

That's okay. It's a pleasant night. I'd much prefer to walk. Plus that will give Mom and Amy more time to finish up.

Tom

If that's what you want but it's really no problem.

Daria

Thanks but I'll pass. I have to go.

Jane looks at Daria and then Tom.

Jane

Uh Tom, it is a school night. Since we took so long with dinner perhaps we can pass on the movie tonight. We would have to catch the second showing and I don't want to get home that late.

Tom

Are you sure? It wouldn't be that late.

Jane turns to Tom with a look of seriousness. He realizes she wants to walk with Daria.

Jane

I just don't want to sleep late, again. It makes too much of a rush to get ready for class.

Tom

Okay.

He tries to play along to make it less obvious what Jane has in mind. Of course Daria sees that Jane is planning something.

Well let me give you a ride back.

Jane

No that's okay. I'll walk home too. Daria had a point. It's too nice a night not to spend a few minutes outside in the dark..

Tom

Alright. I guess we had better go then.

They get up and head outside the restaurant. Once outside the three stop for a second to part ways.

Daria

Bye Tom. I'll see you at school Jane.

Tom

Bye Daria. Jane, I'll call you after I get home.

Jane

That would be nice. Later.

They give each other a quick kiss. Tom leaves. Daria looks uncomfortable.

Daria

Well. I gotta go. See you in the morning.

Jane

Uh Daria. I'd like to walk with you if you don't mind. We haven't had much time to talk. It would be nice to catch up a little.

Daria seems a little suspicious but misses the time they spend together so she nods in agreement.

Daria

Sure.

They proceed to Daria's house.

Jane

So your aunt seems pretty cool.

Daria

Yea. She's the only aunt who knows my name without using flash cards.

Jane

You two really seem to have a connection. In fact with those glasses you sort of favor her.

Daria tries to look annoyed but she is happy that Jane sees the connection. In spite of this she gets a worried look on her face.

Daria

Uh thanks. Just do me a favor and don't mention that in front of Mom and Dad.

Jane looks a little puzzled.

Jane

Um, Okaaay. Is there some reason I need to know about?

Daria seems a little more serious than usual with her friend.

Daria

Let's just drop it okay. There has to be something else you want to talk about.

Jane

A little shocked at the reaction Jane pauses for a second.

Sure.

We see a few blocks pass. It is still a little way to Daria's house and the pair seems to be in no real rush.

Jane

So Miss DeFoe wants me to submit another piece but I don't know. I haven't had too much time lately.

Daria

Have you tried that alien sculpture? It's done and DeFoe might be turned off enough to never ask you to do anything again.

Jane

Nah. I could drool on construction paper and she'd think it was brilliant. She can't be swayed easily.

Jane works up her nerve

So your aunt looks pretty successful.

Daria

Somewhat annoyed the conversation has moved back to her aunt. Jane sees she is hiding something.

Yea. She's done very well for herself. That's one of the reasons I like her. She accomplished everything she has done alone.

Jane

What do you mean? I thought Helen's family was fairly well off.

Daria

They are but Amy never saw any of it.

Jane

Huh?

Daria seems to realize she is starting to get to deep into the subject but feels she has to answer the question to try to slow Jane down.

Daria

When she was younger her dad cut her out of the family. From the time she was out of school she had to fend for herself. Everything she got out of life was due to her own efforts.

Jane seems puzzled.

Jane

That sounds rough. My parents aren't around very much but they never cut us out of their lives. What did she do? Hurt your other aunt?

Daria seems to be getting uncomfortable but feels she might have gone too far. She stops for a second to think before saying the next thing.

Daria

No. Look I' ve said too much. Let's just drop it okay.

Now Jane pauses for a second to think of her reply. She decides to go for it. If Daria refuses again then she will quit asking.

Jane

I hate to say this but you HAVE said too much. I'm really curious now. Don' t worry. What you say will remain between us. I promise.

Daria seems nervous as she decides what to do.

Daria

Okay. But if you tell anyone the only way they'll be able to identify you is by the paint stains on your teeth.

Jane

Cross my heart, or Maidenform, or whatever.

Daria

Very well. Let's stop here. I don't want my parents to know I'm telling you this.

They sit on the curb. Jane really is curious now.

Jane

So what's the story? Why was she cut off?

Daria is till a little nervous but takes a deep breath and starts.

Daria

After high school. She proceeded to tell her parents about who she felt she really was and wasn't going to live her life as a lie anymore. Grandpa Barksdale was so angry he kicked her out of the house and refused to acknowledge her as his child from that day on.

Jane

Whoa. That sounds rough. So that's the problem? She's gay?

Daria

No she isn't gay.

The comment puzzles Jane.

Jane

If she isn' t gay what would upset her father so much that he would do something so severe?

Daria finally realizes the truth has to be told.

Daria

He felt his only son had betrayed him.

It takes a few seconds but as Daria looks at her Jane finally realizes what that means.

Jane

Surprised.

You mean?

Daria

Yes. Amy was born Adam.

Jane is still in shock but finally gets a few words out.

Jane

You're kidding. That can' t be.

Daria

It's the truth.

Jane

But she's so pretty. I just can't see her being a guy. It's mind blowing.

Daria

Well she's been Amy for a long time. Plus she has never been one to do something halfway. It's that Barksdale tenacity.

Jane

Still slightly stunned by the information.

Amazing. So you have to tell me the whole story.

Daria

I don't know everything but I can tell you what I do know.

Jane

Go ahead I'm all ears.

Daria

Well when she told her dad he went completely ballistic. They argued very loudly and he threw her out of the house. From that day she was out of the family as far as her parents were concerned. According to what I've heard those first few years while she was becoming Amy were very rough with no help from anyone.

Jane

So Helen and your other aunt...

Daria

Aunt Rita.

Jane

Right. Aunt Rita had nothing to do with her as well. That must have been rough. But I can't believe they had nothing to do with her at all.

Daria

As far as I can gather they were pretty intimidated by their father. It seems even mentioning either name , Adam or Amy, was enough to send him over the edge and he took his frustrations out on his children.

Jane

So he basically scared them until they were too frightened to do anything.

Daria

More or less. I know Mom managed to sneak a visit and help her occasionally but it was so seldom that she was still alone most of the time. Aunt Rita was so scared she never did anything until after grandpa died.

Jane

That sucks. But she finally became successful.

Daria

In every way. She has the career she wants and has the life she felt she needed. I think it hurts her some she never made peace with her dad but she accepts his difficulty with what she did.

Jane

So how did she get back in the family?

Daria

After Grandpa died Mom and Aunt Rita started having a little more contact with her. Of course after so much time it was not an easy thing to get back together. Things are still a little strained at times

Jane

I could imagine. So when did things really start getting better?.

Daria

It was about a year before my cousin Erin's wedding. We were on vacation when Mom and Dad bumped into her. It seems she had taken a trip the same time we did.

Jane

And...

Daria

Well Mom was ready to pack up and get us out of there but she eventually changed her mind.

Jane

How'd that happen?

Daria

Believe it or not. It was Dad.

Jane

Jake! What did he do?

Daria

Well he made Mom realize that no matter what Amy was family and she needed to know that she had somewhere to go.

Jane

Your dad said that? What made him so accepting?

Daria

I guess his hellish youth away from his family allowed him to have an isolated moment of clarity and wisdom. No matter what the reason Mom took it to heart and she and Amy got together and talked for most of the time we were there.

Jane

That was the first time you met her?

Daria

Well just once. The night before we left Dad had Mom invite her for dinner so we could all meet her.

Jane

So how did you two get along?

Daria

I liked her but we didn't really talk. Everyone was pretty on edge so most conversation was very brief and general.

Jane

So what did Quinn think?

Daria

She's oddly accepting. I think she's a little freaked at what Amy did but believes she has a real sense of style. Although according to her "She's still pretty weird".

Jane

Amazing.

Daria

Yea. Quinn surprises even me from time to time.

Jane

So when did you meet her again?

Daria

At Erin's wedding.

Jane

Oh right. Didn't she show up at the last minute?

Daria

Yea. She wasn't going to show up but something changed her mind.

Jane

I wonder what would do that?

Daria

Dad.

Jane

Jake. How? Why?

Daria

He doesn't know I know but I overheard him call her and encourage her to attend. He said it would be a strong step to reconciling with both her sisters.She said she wouldn't come if it would upset her mother but when she learned she wasn't coming she changed her mind.

Jane

I can't believe Jake has been so influential here. I wonder why he has been so accepting of her change?

Daria

I guess because he is pretty much like me. He's never known her as anything but Amy so he sees her as Mom's sister not as a betrayer of their trust.

Jane

It's still amazing. So you have been in contact with her ever since?

Daria

We all have. I don't know how she and Aunt Rita have been but things between Mom and her are becoming closer.

Jane

It seems you two have connected too.

Daria

We keep in pretty regular contact. She's become a sympathetic ear. I guess if you've been through as much as she has you are willing to give anyone a listen.

Jane

Well she definitely seems pretty cool.

Daria

Smiling

Yea.

Jane

So what's she doing here now?

Daria

Getting ready to get married.

Jane

You mean she's got a guy!? That's pretty cool. But what' s your mother have to do with that? Is she planning the wedding?

Daria

No!

Jane

Thank heavens for that but what is she doing here then?

Daria

Well. Her fiance has wanted to get married for years but she said she would only do it when she was "complete"so she finally completed the change to Amy.

Jane

You mean she's been a guy for all this time?

Daria

Kind of annoyed at the response.

She's always been Amy it was just she never did everything to finish it until a few months ago. Now Mom is helping with all the legal documents so everything will be official.

Jane

Sorry. This is kind of new to me. So when is she getting married?

Daria

Next month.

Jane

Are you going?

Daria

I have to. She wants me to be a bridesmaid.

Jane

You a bridesmaid again? That's even more amazing. What made you decide to go through that again?

Daria

She asked.

Jane

Wow. You two must have really connected. When are you gonna get your dress fit? I want to bring a camera.

Daria

Sorry to let you down but she's fitting the dress this weekend at the house. She made it and she's going to make sure it fits me this time. It's one of the skills she had to learn in those early years.

Jane

Incredible. She is cool. Wish I could sew. It would make for some great soft pieces.

Daria

Well I need to get back to the house. Hopefully Mom and Amy are done now and I want to see her before it gets too late. I hope you don't mind but I want to see her alone tonight. Before she leaves we'll come over so she can see your work.

Jane

That's cool. I understand. I'll see you later.

Daria

Okay. See you in school in the morning. Just remember. Not a word to anyone. Not even Tom.

Jane

Not to worry. Even if I did tell, as beautiful as she is who would believe me?

Daria

Right. Well see you in the morning.

Jane

Bye.

Both stand up and go their separate ways.

The End

 

A note: The idea for this story came to me while I was home on a rare afternoon when I didn't have to go to work or class. I was watching a talk show when they featured some female impersonators who were REALLY convincing. One of the guests on the show was named Amy and the lights went on. I thought we have only seen Amy twice and in the first appearance in "I Don' t" neither of her siblings seemed to happy to see her. This got the wheels turning and I figured what if she became alienated from her family for something like this. What resulted was a very brief burst of writing on my part.

As always, Daria belongs to MTV. This was written for my own amusement.