Sisters

mranonymous@valleyalley.com

 

Helen seemed in no rush as she milled through the shop looking at all the things they had to offer. As she stopped at a table with small animal carvings done by local craftsmen she was interrupted by Jake.

 

“Hon. It’s getting close to the time we said we’d meet the girls for dinner. Don’t you think we should get going?”

 

Helen looked at her watch. It was getting pretty late. Turning to look at Jake she said, “We’ll go in a minute. I just want to look at those shirts over there. Why don’t you go outside and see if you can find a newspaper from the states. I’m sure both you and Daria would like that.”

 

“Great idea.” Jake replied and proceeded to head outside in search of a newsstand.

 

“Thank goodness, a few moments of peace.” Helen thought. She wanted to take this vacation before the chaos of the move to Lawndale in an attempt to relax everyone a bit but she was beginning to wonder if it was a good idea after all. Like all other vacations everyone started bickering the moment the wheels left the runway and they all pretty much separated the first day they got there.  Deciding that she would put it out of her mind for the moment she went over to look at the shirts.

 

As she saw the variety of designs she wondered which would look best on Jake. Her eyes caught a glimpse of a green shirt with a tropical design she figured he would like. Picking it up she unfolded it and stretched her arms out to get a better look. As she extended her arms she backed up. Due to being distracted she didn’t notice a woman had walked behind her. After bumping the woman Helen turned around to apologize. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t see you there.”

 

Turning around to look at Helen the lady replied, “That’s okay. No harm done.”

 

When they saw each other there was a moment of stunned silence.

 

The lady pulled her sunglasses down to get a better look. “Helen?” She asked.

 

Helen just stood there for a few more seconds before finally getting her thoughts together. “Adam?”

 

The woman just smiled. “It’s Amy now. Remember?”

 

“Oh right. Amy. Sorry.” As Helen said that all she could think was, “He’s beautiful.”

 

It had been over twelve years since they had even spoken. As both stood there looking at each other each wondered what they should do. Finally Amy broke the silence.

 

“It’s a small world isn’t it? Are you on vacation too?”

 

Helen nodded. “Yes. I’m here with Jake and the girls.”

 

“That’s nice.” Amy said. “So how much longer are you going to be here?”

 

Helen was rapidly growing uncomfortable. She felt she had to get out of there before things got out of hand. “Um. Not much longer. I hate to do this but Jake is waiting on me to go to dinner. Nice seeing you.”

 

Amy was stunned at how fast her sister had freaked out. Helen was always the sister who had a cool demeanor even during the most stressful of times. As she saw Helen trying to leave Amy decided to get in at least a little more conversation. “Well if you are going to be here a little longer perhaps we could get together. I’d like to see you again.”

 

Helen forced a smile. “I’ll see what I can do.” Looking at her watch she said. “Well it’s getting late and I really do need to find Jake. Bye.”

 

As Amy saw her sister rush out of the shop she gave a small wave. “Bye.”

 

Helen rushed through the plaza she moving her head side to side in search of Jake. Eventually she found him at a small stand looking at a newspaper. When he saw Helen he grinned. “Hey Hon. I couldn’t find an American paper but they publish the local edition in English. For a small island they have a lot going on.”

 

Grabbing his arm she drug him down the lane. “Never mind that. Let’s get back to the hotel now!”

 

Getting the wrong idea Jake looked at her. “Uh honey. It’s pretty close to dinner. Do you think we have enough time before our reservation?”

 

Helen had lost her patience several minutes ago. Not even looking at Jake she snapped, “Is that all you think about?”

 

Knowing he had somehow said the wrong thing he meekly replied, “No. But we’re on vacation.”

 

When they got back to the hotel Jake sat down on the bed. Looking up at Helen he asked. “Are you sure you don’t want to have some fun before we meet the girls?”

 

Helen just glared at him. Finally she answered. “I TOLD you I’m not in the mood.”

 

Jake wondered what had happened. When he left her in the shop she was in a good mood. Now she was about to bite his head off. Figuring he had nothing to lose he worked up his nerve. “Helen. Is anything wrong?”

 

As she shook her head Helen said, “No. Everything’s fine. I’m sorry I snapped at you like that.” Pausing for a second she continued. “Perhaps this vacation wasn’t a good idea. After all when we get back we have to start moving. Perhaps we should forget about the rest of the week and leave in the morning.”

 

This took Jake by surprise. He didn’t know what had happened but it had really shaken Helen up if she was ready to leave that soon. He had to know what happened after he left her alone.

 

“Everything is not fine. If it were you wouldn’t want to go home so soon. Now tell me what happened to you.”

 

Knowing Jake was on to her she figured he deserved the truth. Taking a deep breath she began. “I saw Adam…  I mean Amy.”

 

All Jake could say was, “You mean your…”

 

Before he could continue Helen interrupted. “Yes. I can’t believe this. Of all the people I never expected to see why did he have to show up here?”

 

Standing up, Jake went over to where she was standing. “Sit down for a second.” After helping her to a chair he sat in the other one. “So what happened?”

 

Helen turned toward Jake. “I was looking at a shirt…” As she continued Jake listened to all the details. When she had finished he got up and sat on the side of the bed.

 

“And it got you so upset you want to leave. That’s not the Helen I know.”

 

This confused Helen. “What do you mean?”

 

Leaning over he took her hands. “I mean. You have never been one to back away from anything. Over the years you have mentioned regrets at not having better contact with, um, it’s Amy, right?”

 

Helen nodded.

 

Jake continued. “Well now fate has given both of you an opportunity to do something about that and you want to run away.”

 

Helen bowed her head. “You’re right. I guess the shock of how we met threw me for a loop.”

 

Jake smiled. “That’s understandable.”

 

Looking at him Helen asked, “Well what do you think I should do?”

 

He looked her directly in the eyes and said, “Take advantage of the situation and get to know her better.”

 

Once again Helen bowed and shook her head. “But how? The only thing I know is he’s here on the island. I don’t know what hotel or if he’s still using Barksdale as his last name.”

 

Jake stood up and went over to the phone. “That’s no problem.” Picking up the receiver he pressed a button. “Hello concierge? I need your help finding a guest at another hotel.”

 

The next morning Helen sat patiently at a table sipping coffee. Soon Amy came in and saw Helen. As she approached Helen got up to greet her.

 

“Hi, um, Amy.”

 

Amy heard the nervousness in Helen’s voice. She could sympathize. She was nervous too. Standing there she said, “Hi Helen. It’s been a long time.”

 

“Yes it has.” Helen agreed. As the pair sat down Helen raised her arm to summon a waiter. Once Amy ordered each looked at each other for some time. After all these years it was difficult to know where to start. Eventually the tension got to be too much and Amy just said the first thing she could think of.

 

“So you’re looking good.”

 

Relieved. Helen smiled. “Thanks.” Pausing, she figured there was no point in wasting any more time with generalities. “Um, Amy. I’m sorry about how I reacted yesterday. It wasn’t right. I hope you can forgive me.”

 

“There’s nothing to forgive Helen.” Amy said. “It was a complete shock to both of us. I’m just happy you decided to get together.”

 

Lifting her cup Helen took a sip. “So am I.”

 

Just then the waiter brought Amy’s order. She took a creamer and poured some into her cup. As she stirred she spoke.

 

“It’s been a long time Helen. I’ve missed you.”

 

Helen nodded. “I’ve missed you too.”

 

Amy tasted her coffee. Putting the cup down she looked at Helen. “It’s been too long. The last time we spoke I called to congratulate you on having your second child.”

 

Helen just shook her head. “Quinn was a year old then. It has been too long.”

 

Amy nodded. “You’ve changed since then.”

 

Helen just looked at Amy. “So have you.”

 

The absurdity of the statement made both of them laugh. The ice had been sufficiently broken. For the next two hours both shared their lives since the last time they had seen each other. Pictures and stories were shown and told with equal interest from both parties. There was still a lot of tension but a small part of the barrier between them had been broken down. Eventually Helen got serious again.

 

“Uh Amy.”

 

“Yes Helen?”

 

“I’m sorry you never reconciled with Father.”

 

A brief wave of emotion moved over Amy’s face and just as quickly vanished. “Me too. I didn’t even know he had died for weeks. Mother never told me. It was only when I finally saw the obituary that I learned he was gone.”

 

Helen put her hand over her mouth. “Oh Amy. I’m so sorry. If I had only known I would have called you.”

 

Amy put up her hand to let Helen know to stop. “It’s okay. It isn’t your fault. Even if I had known I couldn’t have come to the funeral. Mother wouldn’t have been able to take it. I just wish I could have seen him one last time. I understand why he was angry but I wish I could have said goodbye.”

 

Helen reached over and held Amy’s arm. “Have you tried to see Mother since then.”

 

Amy bowed her head. “I went back there a few years ago but never could work up the courage to see her. I did go by and leave flowers on Father’s grave. Even though he couldn’t hear me I told him I understood and still loved him. It’s not much but it will have to do.”

 

Looking at her watch Helen spoke up. “Oh my. I hate to stop this but I promised the girls I would meet them for lunch. It’s been good seeing you again Amy.”

 

Amy smiled. “I liked it too.”

 

Both of them stood up to leave. As they gathered their things Amy spoke again. “Uh Helen.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“How long are you really going to be here?”

 

Putting her bag on her shoulder Helen said, “Four more days. Why?”

 

“I was wondering if you would like to get together again. There’s so much we’ve missed. I’d like to know more about you and your family.”

 

Helen thought about it. Amy didn’t seem to be holding any grudges about the past. If she could let it go perhaps she should put things behind her as well. Nodding she said, “Sure. Would you like to meet here again tomorrow?”

 

Amy smiled. “That would be nice.”

 

Both stood there for a second longer wondering if they should do something more than merely say goodbye. Rather than prolong the discomfort Helen said. “I really need to meet the girls before Daria forces Quinn to drink a bottle of salad dressing.” Helen sighed. “Again.”

 

Amy chuckled. “I understand. I need to get going too or I’ll miss the appointment for my facial. See you tomorrow.”

 

Helen nodded. “Bye”

 

Sure enough both met the next day and every day after that. The pair really started to get to know each other again. Both of them were having such a good time neither wanted the vacation to end. On the last day as they sat there talking Helen asked Amy a question.

 

“Um Amy?”

 

Turning to look at her sister Amy asked, “Yes Helen?”

 

“We’re going to be leaving tomorrow and I was wondering something.”

 

“What?”

 

“Well we’ve learned a lot about each other over the past few days but you haven’t really had a chance to meet the rest of my family.”

 

Amy nodded. “Yes?”

 

“Well Jake and I were wondering if you would like to have dinner with us tonight. It would give you a chance to meet him and our girls.”

 

Amy was shocked. She hadn’t expected this. Smiling she said. “I would be happy to.”

 

Helen smiled back. “Great.”

 

“I just have two questions.”

 

“Yes?” Helen asked suspiciously.

 

“When is dinner and where is dinner?”

 

Helen just laughed.

 

That evening all four Morgendorffers were seated around the table. Jake and Daria were both engrossed in the local paper while Quinn was flirting with one of the busboys. As the other three were involved in their activities Helen kept looking at the entrance for Amy.

 

Eventually she arrived. The waiter escorted Amy to their table. When she got there Helen got everyone’s attention and stood up.

 

“Amy, this is Jake.”

 

Reaching out she shook Jakes hand. “Hi Jake. It’s nice to meet you.

Jake gave a nervous laugh. “Same here.” 

 

Turning to the girls, Helen continued. “Amy, this is Daria and Quinn. Girls, this is your Aunt Amy.”

 

The End.

 

As usual these characters belong to MTV. This was written for my amusement.