“Daria Disenfranchised”


Written & Directed By:

NapalmKracken

 

SCENE: LEAVING HIGHLAND

 

Black.

 

Highland, TX

 

The scene is twanged in with White Trash. (intro)

 

We open on the suburbs at the end of summer. The streets are composed of single story homes, wooden fences and lawns that range from green to brown and mud. The pickup truck to car ratio is 2:1.

 

 A moving truck is parked behind an onyx blue 2005 Lexus LS430 sedan (with dealership tags still) in front of the Morgendorffer home, which now sports a FOR SALE sign. In the foreground Daria Morgendorffer* is standing behind the Lexus, Stewart Stevenson and Mrs. Stevenson (CAMEO: TRACY GRANDSTAFF) stand before her. In the background Mr. Stevenson, Jake and Helen Morgendorffer (dressed appropriately for the season) are moving boxes into the car. Quinn Morgendorffer is directing her parents but is inaudible. Occasionally Jake is heard groaning, moaning and swearing.

 

*Outfit one: black leather jacket, black pleated skirt and white T-shirt

 

Mrs. Stevenson hands Daria a bowl of cookies.

 

MRS. STEVENSON It’s sad to see you go Daria but I hope you enjoy… where was it you where going again?


DARIA Far, far away.

 

MRS. STEVENSON (chuckles) Oh Daria you’re so funny!

 

STEWART Yeah, we’ll miss you!

 

DARIA Um, thanks.


Stewart takes a piece of paper out of his pocket and holds it out to Daria. Mrs. Stevenson goes to help Helen move stuff into the car.

 

STEWART Keep in touch?

 

BUTT-HEAD (off screen) Uh-huh. Touch.

 

BEAVIS (off screen) Like they’re gonna do it.

 

We now see the two young dullards behind Daria, Beavis and Butt-Head.

 

BUTT-HEAD Huh-huh. Stewart’s girl friend is leaving him.


BEAVIS He-he-m-he-he. Like, where ya goin’?

 

DARIA Tell them Stewart.

 

STEWART (smiles) Far, far away.

 

DARIA (hands him a cookie) Good Stewart.

 

BUTT-HEAD Like, why?


DARIA Because the moving truck came.

 

BEAVIS But like…um…ow! Thinking hurts.

 

BUTT-HEAD Don’t put Diarrhea out of a job.

 

BEAVIS Yeah, then she’d like have to leave.

 

DARIA And seek much more meaningful employment elsewhere.

 

BUTT-HEAD Uh-huh-huh…Uh…What?

 

BEAVIS He-he-m-he-he, yeah. That was complicated.


DARIA Highland sucks.

 

BEAVIS Oh yeah.

 

STEWART Yeah! Cleveland rocks!

 

BUTT-HEAD Um…okay. So like, have you seen our TV?

BEAVIS It’s missing.

 

DARIA My condolences.

 

JAKE Time to go kiddo!

 

DARIA I bid you, now and forever more, adieu.

 

BUTT-HEAD She said ‘doo’.

 

They both laugh uncontrollably.

 

STEWART Bye Daria.

 

He holds his hands out for a hug.


DARIA Bye Stewart.

 

She shoves a cookie into his mouth and goes to the Lexus. Momentarily she turns back to the boys and tosses them her pendant. Butt-Head catches it.

 

BUTT-HEAD Cool.


BEAVIS Let’s break it!

 

The Lexus speeds off with the moving truck behind them. The boys watch and chant “Diarrhea, cha, cha, cha”! We watch the two vehicles zip by a dilapidated green sign:

 

NOW LEAVING HIGHLAND
HAPPY TRAILS Y’ALL!

 

Fade out.

 

OPENING CREDITS

 

Song: Are You Going To Be My Girl?

 

We see Daria’s green Mead notebook. Her hands enter the picture and open it. She takes a pencil and writes the credits:

 

BCM-7 PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS:

 

Flip of the page. She writes again:

 

DARIA DISENFRANCHISED

 

She under lines it then flips the page and writes down the credits, this is occasionally punctuated with little crude doodles of various characters and Jane’s sketches getting shoved into the book.

 

Jake and Helen as an Egyptian queen and her bowing servant

Quinn working at a gas station

Jane riding a large missile like in Dr. Strangelove

Ms. Li in jackboots and giving a Nazi salute

The Fashion Club as sharks

Mystik Spiral as KISS

Daria and Trent on a Gone with the Wind poster

Trent as John Travolta (circa 1979)

Daria dead asleep at her desk, her head resting on the note book

 

SCENE: WELCOME TO LAWNDALE  

 

Are You Going To Be My Girl? Fades out as the radio starts in gradually. Welcome to the Jungle plays behind Bing’s monologue.

 

BING (on the radio) Hey! Hey! Lawndale are you ready to par-tay cra-zay?!

 

The Lexus passes through green forests and the outer limits of Lawndale, a typical mid-Eastern seaboard town of 50,000. Inside the car Quinn and Daria share the back seat which is overloaded with Quinn’s cute pink clothes and material possessions. Daria is reading Kerouac’s On The Road. Jake is driving.

 

BING (on the radio) The first person to guess the Spatula Man’s weight gets a ZEE 93 bumper sticker courtesy of Bing and the Spatula Man! We’re comin’ at ya live from the old Lawndale Flea Market…

 

Helen turns the radio down a little as Short Skirt, Long Jacket comes on.

 

HELEN (turns to her daughters) We’re here girls!

 

DARIA But do we want to be?


HELEN Don’t start Daria. (glances at the sleeping Quinn) I’ve been meaning to have a talk with you since before we left.

 

DARIA Should I have scheduled an appointment?

HELEN (automatically) Yes! (shakes it off) No! Daria. We’re in a new town and you have a blank slate. 

DARIA It’s the same slate I had in the old town.

 

HELEN You don’t have to be… who you where in Highland.

 

JAKE (to no one) A Wal-Mart, neat!

 

DARIA I’ve come to that conclusion also. I’m going to make people pay for my useless information from now on instead of doling it out for free.

 

HELEN What I mean is you can fit in here!


DARIA (looks up from her book) I know I didn’t fit in when we where in Highland, I probably won’t fit in here either.  I don’t think I fit in anywhere. Maybe that’s where I fit in.

 

HELEN With an attitude like that of course you’ll have the same problems here as you did in Highland!


DARIA Whether its Lawndale or Highland the only thing that changes are the accent and the gas price.

 

Helen sighs deeply and shakes her head.

 

JAKE It looks like the new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

 

DARIA Hey, disco pants and haircuts.

 

JAKE Where?!

 

HELEN Just stop cutting people off so quickly, okay?

 

DARIA Slow down, gotcha.

 

HELEN When someone talks to you, for example when your mother tries to have a meaningful conversation with her daughter, play your strengths- show them your intelligence and your sparkling wit instead of just shutting them down.

 

DARIA (deadpan) Give people a chance.


HELEN Don’t say it like that.

 

DARIA Give people a chance.

 

HELEN Are you even trying?

 

DARIA I thought you wanted me to play my strengths?

 

HELEN Why do I even bother?

 

JAKE Helen, look, a Taco Bell! Highland didn’t have one of those either! We’re really-

 

HELEN (to Jake while Daria begins to talk) Quiet Jake!


DARIA Because you’re a loving mother, doting wife and giving provider. You care deeply about your daughters and their well being.

 

HELEN Where you being sincere or sarcastic?


DARIA (goes back to reading) For a lawyer you won’t let me have a lot of grey areas.

 

Quinn wakes up.


QUINN Are we there yet?

 

HELEN Yes. Quinn I expect you to help your sister adjust to Lawndale.

 

QUINN I thought sarcasm was Daria’s thing mom.


DARIA Wow, that’s the most intelligent thing to come out of your mouth all trip. Well except for that burger you power chucked at the Casey Jones museum.

 

QUINN (looking around) Where’s the mall? Is there a mall here? If not can we move again?

 

JAKE Haven’t seen one yet sweetie.

 

DARIA Me neither, but I have seen a lot of sewing supply stores.

 

QUINN (distressed) Sewing?!

 

HELEN (angry) Daria be quiet! Quinn calm down! Jake hurry up, the speed limit is 35 and you’re barely pushing 33. For once hurry the hell up!

 

JAKE But you’re always telling me-

 

HELEN (angry) Oh why do I bother let me handle this! Pull over now!

 

She grabs the wheel from Jake, he turns too hard. They swerve towards a strip mall parking lot but overshoot it and slam into a tree. Inside air bags have deployed and everyone is visibly shaken.

 

JAKE I didn’t do it!

 

HELEN Girls?

DARIA I’m still a tax break.

 

QUINN (horrified) Uhh! Ahh!

Daria and Helen look. We see Quinn has gotten nail polish all over her shirt.


Then the ground gives out in front of the Lexus and they roll over into a drainage ditch.

 

QUINN What’s that smell?!

 

DARIA Teen spirit.

 

HELEN Stop joking Daria!

DARIA I’m playing my strengths.

 

Then the tree Jake hit falls onto the Lexus.

 

QUINN (voice-over) Can we go home now?

 

Helen sighs.

 

SCENE: 1111 GLEN OAK LANE

 

1111 Glen Oak Lane is a red brick, two story house in an upper middle class neighborhood, foreign luxury cars dot the driveways, a few tykes on big wheels are in the street, and professional lawn care providers are doing the dirty work on most of the houses.

 

On the front lawn of 1111 is a grey suited lawyer carrying flowers, Eric Shrecter. He watches a blue 1995 Ford Taurus (with dealership markings) pulls up to the house. Jake* gets out of the passenger side and offers his hand to Eric.

 

* Jake is wearing a white short sleeved shirt button up shirt and black slacks.

 

JAKE Hi! Jake-

 

ERIC I’m sorry but no.

 

JAKE Huh?

 

Daria and Quinn get out of the car.

 

ERIC I’m not converting so you can get back into your clown car and leave. Why didn’t you guys stick with bikes?

 

Helen gets out of the car.

 

ERIC (looking at Helen) Oh, you’re Helen Morgendorffer. (looks at Jake) You didn’t mention…

 

Awkwardly he hands the flowers to Daria and pats her on the head.

 

ERIC Helen! Eric Shrecter, cousin Dewayne has told me so much about you!

 

He and Helen meet, shake hands.


ERIC Good grip!


HELEN Oh, why thank you Eric.

 

ERIC I can tell you’ll be an asset to the team already.

 

HELEN You’re too kind.


ERIC I know, but hey, I’m your boss, it’s my prerogative.

 

Jake is standing dumbfounded and a little unsure, as he has been since Eric greeted Helen.

 

JAKE Hi?


DARIA Don’t bother Dad. You didn’t know the secret handshake and now he’ll never talk to you again.

 

JAKE There’s a handshake?

 

ERIC (turns to the family) Hey, good to meet all of you. Jack, Dara, Quinn, welcome to Lawndale!

 

For the scene end the family forms up in front of the house beside the FOR SALE- SOLD sign. There’s the click of a camera.  Moments later this now framed image is hung up near the stairs besides Daria and Quinn’s baby pictures.

 

(continues seamlessly into next scene)


SCENE: MOVING IN (MORGENDORFFER HOME INTERIOR)

 

We are inside the Morgendorffer home. Jake is beaming at the picture he just put up. Daria stands beside him.

 

JAKE Its official, the Morgendorffers are here to stay!

 

DARIA Unless we’re re-zoned.

 

JAKE Come on Daria, Mom and Quinn love it here already. What’s got you down?

 

DARIA Dad, Quinn’s been hiding in the Cashman’s since Tuesday and I think Mom has a sleeping bag under her desk at work.

 

JAKE (puts his arm around Daria) More room for us kiddo!

 

DARIA (slips out from under Jake) Speaking of which I think I’ll be heading back to mine.

 

JAKE (sighs) All right then, guess I’ll just stand here alone and dejected.

 

DARIA Don’t stand too long Dad. (taps her knee) It’s bad for your knees.


Daria leaves her father’s side and walks up the stairs.


JAKE Dammit! Stupid reverse psycho-babble crappy crap!

 

Daria is at the top of the stairs. (Jake is heard in the background)


DARIA (under her breathe) I am a rock. I am an island.

 

She disappears from view.

 

SCENE: THE SANCTUARY SANCTORUM (DARIA’S INTERIOR)

 

Daria’s bedroom: The bed is in place as is a broken TV, padded walls and barred windows. All of her stuff is still in boxes except for her skeleton on a stand. A Mac computer sits on the floor besides an unassembled desk. Daria lays down on her bed. She reaches over the side and pulls a CD player from underneath it and hits play.

 

Messin’ With The Kid plays on her CD player at an appropriate noise level. She produces a harmonica from within her leather jacket, looks at it then sets it down and goes to staring at the ceiling.


DARIA Slacker’s log volume 2 entry 3:

 

Helen enters the room. She has a clipboard in her hands.

 

DARIA -Remember to close and deadbolt door every time. On a related note- ask father to buy me a deadbolt.

 

HELEN I’ll need you to sign this Daria.

 

DARIA Giving me to medical science already?

 

HELEN It’s a family agreement. It lays down the ground rules for living under this roof.

 

She hands it to Daria who signs at the bottom of the clipboard.

 

DARIA Is that including the garage?

 

She hands back the clipboard. At the same time Jake enters the room behind Helen.

 

HELEN Yes. Now we’re going to go to Chez Pierre.

 

DARIA Have fun.

 

HELEN You’re coming with us. That’s not an option.


JAKE Yeah!

 

He trips on the skeleton stand, he and the skeleton fall. He smashes the hydrocephalic skull replica through the monitor of Daria’s computer.

 

DARIA Dammit, now you owe me dinner. (gets off the bed) Let’s get this over with.

 

She walks out of the room. Jake has since picked himself up. Helen shakes her head then leaves the room. Jake then lies down on Daria’s bed and stares at the ceiling.

 

JAKE Wow, that’s a lot of cracks!

 

HELEN (off screen) Get your ass down here Jake!

 

Jake leaves. We pull in tightly on the LED clock besides the bed. It’s 6:59.

 

SCENE: GREEN ONIONS (DARIA’S INTERIOR)

 

Green Onions plays throughout this scene.

 

The clock changes to 7:00 and the alarm goes off. We pull out so a Daria shaped lump is visible in the bed. The room is partially cleaned, stuff is now scattered everywhere. She grumbles and gets up; from there it’s kind of a montage:

 

-Getting up

- Grabbing a maroon skirt and white T-shirt from the closet

-Showering, brushing her teeth, aiming a blow dryer at her head and letting it go full blast

-lacing up boots and getting up (Clerks homage)

-Dressed and procrastinating with Feng Shui (swapping around the heart and cheese wedge in the room)

-She grabs her black leather jacket off the back of her chair and book bag then heads out

 

She walks quietly downstairs. Jake is sleeping on the couch. She sneaks passed him and into the kitchen. Quinn has left a note on the fridge-

 

Caught a ride with Stacy!

-Quinn

 

Daria opens the pantry and grabs a pop tart. The wrapper makes noise in her hands; she steals a look at her sleeping father and puts the pop tart back. She proceeds to down a quarter of a bear of honey. She puts it back then sneaks around to the front door. Right as she grabs the door knob Jake gets up and looks at her.


JAKE (smiling) Hey Daria! Ready for school?!

 

Daria makes a small groan. The song ends.

 

SCENE: LAWNDALE HIGH SCHOOL (LHS EXTERIOR)

 

Insane in the Membrane plays.

 

LHS is a uniformly red brick vast multi story high school complex. Jake drops off Daria in front of the school near a large congregation of students.

 

JAKE Have fun kiddo!

 

She looks around and is unimpressed with what she sees.

 

DARIA Define ‘fun’.

 

She starts walking through the crowd and makes assessments.


DARIA Beavis, Butt-Head, Beavis, Beavis, Earl, Tanqueray, Lolita… two Cassandra’s and a Stewart. No PATSIES, a plus… Quinn. In quadruple helpings, damn.

 

We pan over slightly to where Quinn, Stacy, Sandi and Tiffany are talking.

 

STACY This is Quinn, we met at Chez Pierre last night.

 

SANDI I’ve never met a Quinn before.


STACY Quinn’s from France!

 

TIFFANY Really?

 

QUINN Well I did live near Paris.

 

DARIA -Texas.

 

QUINN And that’s my cousin, we picked her up at Dallas/ Fort Worth on our way here!

 

SANDI Hmph. (turns up her nose at Daria)

 

DARIA You all have a fine day.*

 

*When Daria says ‘you all’ the ‘all’ is quickly forced. It’s what happens when years are spent around people who say y’all and saying it yourself.

 

Daria leaves them and we stay focused on Quinn’s group.

 

STACY (giggles) Did you guys hear the way she pronounced ‘you all’?

 

SANDI Hillbillies.

 

QUINN Uh, yeah. So Stacy was telling me all about this club you guys have.

 

SANDI The Fashion Club.

 

QUINN How do I apply?

 

SANDI Well you’ve already passed the first test. If someone has to ask what the Fashion Club does then obviously they’re not qualified to join. Now-

 

Sandi makes a spinning motion with her hand. Quinn turns around 360 degrees.

 

SANDI Application approved. I’m president, Stacy is our secretary and Tiffany is the coordinating officer.

 

QUINN What do I get to be?

 

SANDI I like your style so I move to make Quinn Morgendorffer vice president of the Fashion Club.

 

TIFFANY I second.

 

SANDI Then that’s final. Quinn, with the powers vested in me I appoint you Vice President of the Fashion Club.


STACY Oh goody!

 

Stacy takes the ‘Fashion Club charter’, a pink Mead (product placement) notebook from her bunny book bag. She writes in it then hands it to Quinn.

 

QUINN There’s two ‘F’s’ in Morgendorffer.

 

STACY Sorry.

 

SCENE: TOUR GUIDE JODIE (LHS INTERIOR)

 

By The Way (intro) plays.

 

The ochre halls of LHS. The walls are dotted with rows of half lockers, two high. School spirit posters abound, many of them denoting it’s the start of a new school year or that fall is in bloom. In the center of the hall Daria is in a group of new students. In front of them is Jodie Landon.

 

JODIE My name is Jodie Landon and I want to welcome every new student to Lawndale High School. Not as a charter member of the tennis club, editor of the school paper, member of the honor society, student council president and French club vice president but as your fellow student.

 

DARIA (murmurs) I am not a crook.

 

JODIE Any questions for me?

 

DARIA Can you validate parking?

 

Jodie goes directly in front of Daria.

 

JODIE Please don’t tell me you’re going to be a nuisance Ms. Morgendorffer.

 

Daria gives her an innocent, blank stare.

 

Man (Opposable Thumb) plays into the next scene.

 

SCENE: 7474505B (Ms. LI’S OFFICE)

 

Ms. Li’s office. Tightly organized the room is an ode to its proprietor. We focus in quickly on various items around the room: A World’s Greatest Disciplinarian award, a jade Buddha, a polygraph machine, a Most Wanted bulletin board adorned with mug shots of students (including Lane, J.), a framed picture of her in her ballerina days.

 

A hand drums on the desk. ‘JANE’ is written across the right hand knuckles.

 

LI (voice over) Stop that Ms. Lane.

 

We then focus on Ms. Li in her seat of power.

 

She is looking at a manila folder then she sets it down. On it is written: LANE, JANE STUDENT ID 7474505B

 

LI I’ve been dreading this day.

 

We pan over to Jane Lane. She slouches back in the chair across the desk from Ms. Li. She is as we remember her: black fireman’s boots, black panty hose, black shorts, worn red work shirt and a black ‘Splendora’ band T-shirt.  

 

JANE If you like I can tip over the Ultra Cola machine. You can suspend me again, you’ll laugh, I’ll laugh. Good times for all.

 

LI Ms. Lane, this is your chance to prove your worth not just to yourself but to Laaaaaawndale High!

 

JANE I’m Dada in the flesh. What do I have to prove?

 

LI That you won’t be spending your senior year at Juvie?

 

JANE (straightens up) I can assure you that I won’t miss a minute of school in juvenile hall.

 

LI That’s good to hear Ms. Lane. Very good. Now for your punishment for the dance fiasco-

 

JANE Hey, your sub-sub contractor gave me $500 and no questions asked. I painted my heart out-

 

LI And all over the gym walls! I did not authorize graffiti!

 

JANE It was art!

 

LI It got you suspended, on the clean up crew, three weeks of crossing guard duty in which you where caught being a destructive influence on minors!

 

JANE So I used an unauthorized hand signal on Tommy Sherman. He was driving way too fast around those kids!

 

LI Ms. Lane, you still have one last week of punishment on the books.

 

JANE I concede. (holds up her hands) Just not the hands okay?

 

LI Jodie Landon is giving tours of the school and working with the new students. I want you to assist her.

 

Jane groans a little and gets up.

 

LI 1200 students learn here but you monopolize my time more than 1183 of them.

 

JANE See you next Wednesday.

 

SCENE: BELLY OF THE BEAST (LHS INTERIOR)

 

LHS halls. Jodie is guiding the tour group.

 

JODIE Since it’s everyone’s first day-

 

Jane comes in from a side hall and takes her place beside Jodie.

 

JANE Welcome to Laaaaawndale High where nothing matters and neither do you!

 

JODIE What do you think you’re doing?

 

JANE Ms. Li told me to take over the tour from here; you can go back to practicing your winning smile and your valedictorian acceptance speech. (to the tour group) I’m Jane Lane your-

 

JODIE You’re a nuisance.

 

JANE I’m offended.

 

JODIE You’re offensive. (to the tour group) Ms. Lane here is but one of the many colorful students you’ll meet at LHS. Yep, LHS is all about color.

 

DARIA Will this color be issued or will I have to buy it at the student store?

 

JODIE Real funny. (to the group) Tour dismissed. Again, welcome to Lawndale High!

 

Jodie introduces Jane to Daria.

 

JODIE Ms. Lane, Ms. Morgendorffer.

 

JANE Morgendorffer; one ‘F’ or two?

 

JODIE According to her records, none, straight A’s.

 

DARIA How the hell did you see my record?

 

JANE It’s a police state and she’s a member of the Waffen SS.

 

DARIA Where does she hide the gun?

 

JODIE I like to know who my competition is in the battle for valedictorian.

 

DARIA I’m a conscientious objector so count me out.

 

JANE This is Lawndale, the only way out is straight C’s.

DARIA What about a body bag?

 

JODIE It seems I’m no longer needed here.

 

Jodie leaves the scene.

 

DARIA (to Jane) Is it always that easy?

 

JANE Yeah, but it’s not usually that fun.

 

DARIA So this is what fun is.

 

JANE Welcome to Lawndale High.


SCENE: BREAK (LHS GYM)

 

You’re Standing on My Neck (Commercial break cut) plays.

 

Two teams of girls are playing volleyball. All of them wear blue LHS shirts and gold shorts. Daria stands firmly and without interest near the back. The ball gently sails past her. Everyone gives her the evil eye; she laconically moves a hand to intercept.

 

SCENE: CLASS ASSOCIATIONS (MR. O’NEILL’S CLASSROOM)

 

Forgot About Dre (intro) plays.

 

Mr. O’Neill’s class; a basic classroom with a whiteboard and walls covered in motivational posters. Mr. O’Neill is front and center in the room. Daria sits between Upchuck and Brittany.

 

ONEILL Good morning class!  Before we start this morning I want to ask if anyone is interested in helping with my after school program, the It’s Okay to Cry Corral!

Silence.

 

ONEILL Anyone? No.

 

He sniffles and carries on.

 

ONEILL Let’s start the day off right by introducing a valued addition to our English class. Let’s all give a big Lawndale High welcome to Daria Mogenfoffer!

 

Someone snickers at the name.

 

DARIA Its Morgendorffer.

 

More snickering.

 

ONEILL I heard you transferred here from Highland, Texas, well boy howdy I tell ya what!

 

More snickering. It continues in the background as O’Neill keeps talking.

 

ONEILL I bet Lawndale is nothing like Highland so I think we should all help Daria adjust to student life here at Lawndale High! If you need anything or if you’d just like to talk between classes my door is always open. 

 

DARIA Thank you, you’ve done plenty for me already Mr. O’Neill.

 

ONEILL Thanks, I try. Is there anything you’d like to say?

 

DARIA Nothing I can express in front of witnesses.

 

ONEILL Well don’t keep anything bottle up okay?

 

Daria doesn’t reply.

 

ONEILL Class I was thinking we could take our study of medieval literature to an exciting new place!

 

DARIA (quietly) Jolly old England.

 

ONEILL Yesterday I asked you all to read The Canterbury Tales alone and to yourselves but then I realized these tales can be kind of tricky to read. So I was thinking, why not pair up everyone with the student beside them and let them read it to each other? Play roles, embrace characters, between two people figure out how to pronounce some of these words and with the combined intellect of the two come to truly understand what these stories are about!

 

DARIA Two wrongs equal a right. Dialectic. Hegel would be proud.

 

Bridge: Kick Out The Jams (intro)

 

We pan through the class, students trying to recite lines back and forth to each other but mostly just giving strange looks and laughing. We focus in on Daria and Brittany.

 

DARIA (deadest pan) I will make a dainty garland for my head and sing. La-la-la-la-la.

 

BRITTANY That lust proceeds from wine and drunk-en-ness. Consider what drunken lot-

 

DARIA What are you reading?

 

Brittany holds here book open to Daria. Daria flips to the correct page.

 

BRITTANY Oh, I thought you where on the wrong chapter. (sheepish grin) I didn’t want to embarrass you.

 

DARIA I’m touched.

 

Upchuck, the student behind Daria, leans over her way. An ancient copy of Ian Fleming’s Thrilling Cities in hand. Andrea the Goth Chick, his partner, keeps reading on her own.

 

UPCHUCK Did I hear my ninth favorite word? Eighth if you count ‘bare’ and ‘ass’ as one.

 

DARIA (on reflex) Settle down Beavis- who ever you are.

 

UPCHUCK Charles Ruttheimer the Third, at your service.

 

BRITTANY Upchuck!

 

DARIA He certainly lives up to that name.

 

UPCHUCK The important thing is that you speak of me and remember.

 

DARIA To pack mace.

 

UPCHUCK Exciting! Rowr!

 

Suddenly Mr. DeMartino bursts into the room.

 

ONEILL Anthony-

 

DEMARTINO All RIGHT Mr. Ruttheimer! Get YOUR damn Volvo out of my space PRONTO!

 

UPCHUCK I didn’t see any sign.

 

DEMARTINO I KNOW you didn’t. That’s why I’m HUNTING down Mr. Thompson next. NOW MOVE!

 

UPCHUCK Till fate entwines our lives once more ladies.

 

Upchuck gets up and leaves. Brittany shivers and goes ‘ew’.

 

DARIA I don’t know what just happened but I should probably be thankful.


BRITTANY That guy was Mr. DeMartino, my history teacher.


Daria pulls her class schedule from her leather jacket’s pocket. She looks at it then groans. Upchuck follows DeMartino out.

 

ONEILL Just a minute class!

 

Mr. O’Neill follows DeMartino out.

 

ONEILL Anthony wait!

 

DARIA The man has his priorities straight, I’ll give him that.

 

Brittany’s purse is on the floor beside her. The phone inside vibrates so she answers it.

 

BRITTANY Yes? What do you mean your band is canceling Monique? I’m not some high schooler! I’m the head cheerleader! There’s a difference! Hello? Hello?


She ‘hmphs’ and puts the phone back.

 

BRITTANY Oh now what am I going to do?

 

DARIA Cry me a river?

 

BRITTANY Thanks for trying to cheer me up Daria but my party tonight is ruined! The live music cancelled. Without a Jacuzzi or music it’s just another party! Oh my God! Did I say that?! I mean without a Jacuzzi yet!

 

She sniffles and runs off. Daria looks over her shoulder at the rest of the class.

 

DARIA Three down, thirty-one to go.

 

Teenage Girl brings us into the next scene.

 

SCENE: TRENT AND HIS TRENTMOBILE (LHS EXTERIOR)

 

The school bell rings. Students pour through the open school doors. Among them are Daria and Jane, they are walking towards the parking lot.

 

JANE Want a ride home?

 

DARIA I don’t take rides from strangers.

 

JANE What’s so strange about me?

 

DARIA You’re the strangest person I’ve ever met.

 

JANE You only say that because you don’t know my brother.

 

DARIA Another half-starved artist?

 

JANE And then some!

 

DARIA I’ll definitely pass. Besides, I need to make up for all that exercise I didn’t get in gym.

 

JANE I was kind of surprised they started sneaking in those cheerleader practices so early this year.

 

DARIA It’s not cheerleader practice, it’s focus on agility.

 

JANE You showed Ms. Morris your cat-like agility. Of course the cat in mind was Garfield.

 

DARIA I just met you and I’m already beginning to dislike you.

 

JANE If you don’t out and out hate a Lane by now then it’s not happening.

 

DARIA Wanna bet?

 

TRENT (off screen) Hey Janie.

 

We pan over from the girls to Trent Lane. He is standing besides his decrepit blue 1973 Plymouth Satellite. Radio Friendly until Shifter blares from the car stereo.

 

JANE Hey Trent. (to Daria) Daria this is my brother Trent. (to Trent) Trent this is my new ex- best friend, Daria Morgendorffer. That’s Morgendorffer with dual F’s.

 

Daria is thrown off center by Trent. It takes her a few moments to formulate a thought.

 

DARIA Um…hi.

 

TRENT Hey.

 

JANE Well there just went the intellectual high point of that conversation.

 

Jane opens the passenger door of the car and pulls the seat forward.

 

JANE Ready to go Thunderstruck?

 

Trent gets in and starts up the car. Daria gets halfway into the car and stops.

 

DARIA (low) I hate you.

 

JANE Hate me on the way.

 

Once Jane is in and belted Trent pulls out. They shoot through the lot and pass Jake in the Taurus.


JAKE Where the Hell is she dammit?

 

SCENE: LA CASA LANE (JANE’S INTERIOR)

 

Spit plays on Jane’s stereo until the scene ends.

 

Jane’s room. It’s an eclectic mix of art supplies, art projects in various states of completion and/or neglect and Jane’s personal wardrobe. Most everything is just tossed randomly on the floor along with food and food style products. A massive bed with a stereo on its headboard dominates the room and before it sits a TV and desktop computer (still in a box). Behind the bed is a half finished coat of arms.

 

Daria sits on the bed while Jane paints on a large easel.

 

JANE So did Mr. O’Neill make the class try to figure out who was who just by feeling hands?

 

DARIA I believe that’s on next Friday’s agenda. Today we had to partner up with whoever in the room annoys you the most.


JANE His words or yours?

 

DARIA I don’t think I can bring myself to recite his exact words. I got stuck with Brittany Taylor.

 

JANE Wow, I bet you could just reach out and touch popularity. You must have felt special.

 

DARIA After five minutes with Brittany I asked Mr. O’Neill if this was the “special” class and if not then why. When I went back to work I could swear I saw him writing down my feelings in a notebook.

 

JANE He does that. Now some more about Brittany please, I so do love to hear about how the other half lives.

 

DARIA Well… I’d say the deepest thing about her is the depth of her ignorance. That pit between her ears is a close second.

 

JANE Nah, you’d have to bore it out more. My theory is that she lacks the capacity for depth.

 

DARIA Tell me about it. I had to phonetically spell out words for her then right as she’s about to get something right without getting to the third hint she stops to take a phone call.

 

JANE A second D is ready for installation?

 

DARIA I have a feeling O’Neill is incapable of giving anything below that. (Pause and then surprise) Oh!

 

Jane smirks for an instant.

 

DARIA Apparently she had a band booked for a party tonight and they just cancelled because a cheerleader’s party is beneath them. I had to explain to her what rejection is.

 

Jane stops routing around and sits up.

 

JANE She needs a band?

 

DARIA You interested?

 

JANE I’m not.

 

Jane jumps up and hurried out of the room.

 

SCENE: REQUIEM FOR A PARTY (LANE RESIDENCE)

 

The kitchen. A bland yellow room decorated in early art student.

 

Jane is sitting at the table with a phone to her ear and the yellow pages before her. Daria makes it into the room just as Jane begins to speak.

 

JANE Hello? Brittany Taylor? (pause) Yes, you. My name is Jane Lane and I’m speaking to you on behalf of the band Mystik Spiral. (pause) That’s with a Y. Now let’s get to brass tacks. (pause) I’m not from the hardware store. No, don’t hang up!

 

Jane growls and redials.

 

JANE You need a band for your party tonight and the Spiral has an opening. (pause) Well it’s short notice so we’ll have to charge you. (pause) Why we play both kinds of music: rock and alt! (pause) Sure they’ll do that too. (pause) Good? Then it’s agreed. See you tonight.

 

Jane hangs up the phone and gets up.

 

DARIA Not interested?

 

JANE If I said I could care even less about her party I’d be lying. Mom and Dad are out of town for the next 3 to 6 months and forgot to leave enough bill money so Trent and I improvise when we can. Come on Daria, let’s rally the troops!

 

DARIA Didn’t I already explain my position on that?

 

JANE You’ll get twenty bucks, let’s roll.

 

Daria sighs and follows Jane.

 

SCENE: KABBALAH-LA (TAYLOR DINING ROOM)

 

We quickly cut to Kevin and Brittany in the dining room. Brittany is dumping the contents of a chips bag into a bow on a long, grand wooden table.

 

KEVIN What was that babe?

 

BRITTANY I needed a band and a band just called to do my party! (smiles) Kabbalah does work!

 

KEVIN In mysterious ways.

 

He gives her a moment to take in his deep thought.

 

KEVIN I got one!

 

BRITTANY Oh Kevvy!

 

SCENE: FINDING THE BAND

 

Dig up Her Bones plays on Trent’s stereo

 

Trent’s room. It’s similar to Jane’s but with bigger mounds of clothes with musical instruments strewn into the mix. A duck besides the bed quacks. Trent is sleeping face down in his boxers with a guitar under him. He groggily wakes and picks up the phone.

 

TRENT Hello?

JANE (on the phone) This is the management and this is your courtesy call. Get the Hell up!

 

Trent looks around for his clock.

 

TRENT What time is it?

 

JANE (on the phone) Wake up time. You have a gig in two hours! We need to collect the band.

 

TRENT Okay. Yeah and um yeah.

 

He hangs up and goes back to sleep. Suddenly Jane bursts into the room banging on a pot with a wooden spoon. At the first ‘reveille’ Trent jerks spastically out of bed and over the side.

 

JANE Reveille! Reveille! Reveille! All hands heave out and trice up! The smoking lamp is lited*! The uniform of the day is yesterday’s shirt and unsoiled pants now get the hell out of bed! Reveille! Reveille! Now reveille!

 

TRENT (indignant) You know you could have just called up.

 

Jane smiles and shrugs. 

 

* That is not a typo. Proper pronunciation depends on the speaker’s interpretation of the word.

 

SCENE: ON THE MOVE (LAWNDALE)

 

The squealing of tires. We watch the Trentmobile burn rubber. It loses a hubcap on the way out of the driveway.

TRENT (voice over) That was my good hubcap!

 

The car backfires as it vanishes from the screen. We cut to the car- Jane is driving, Trent is still half asleep & shirtless and Daria is in the back seat. Daria has a ‘why me?’ look.

 

TRENT When did you get a license Janie?

 

JANE I didn’t.

 

TRENT Maybe I should drive.

 

JANE Maybe you should put your shirt on and practice Come As You Are.

 

TRENT I’ve been practicing that for three hours.

 

JANE Daria, would you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practice?

 

TRENT As long as you don’t drop it.

 

DARIA (loud) Watch out for that-

 

We hear a cat shriek.

 

TRENT I think that was Zachary.

 

JANE Explains why the lamp chord hasn’t been gnawed through yet. You know, on second thought see if you can remember that version of Cat Scratch Fever you and Jesse worked up.

 

TRENT (puts his shirt on) Nah. Jesse won’t play A diminished. Gives him cramps.

 

JANE Then improvise dammit!

 

TRENT Hmmm… maybe I should tune my guitar.

 

JANE Yeah I hear most guitarist do that every couple of months. Some even practice with metronomes.

 

TRENT But that clacking drives me nuts!

JANE Everyone else suffers for their art Trent; join the club!

 

TRENT What club?

 

DARIA Maybe you should just let me off here and keep your twenty bucks.

 

TRENT She’s getting money?

 

JANE Fly girls don’t work cheap. She twisted my arm.

 

DARIA My boots are bigger than hers.

 

TRENT (nods understanding) Got it.

 

JANE She overcompensates for severe psychological problems that leave her unable to interact with the world around her; she’d make a great artist.

 

DARIA Now I really hate you.

 

JANE Hate me after you get paid. (pause) Here we go!

 

She turns hard and Daria & Trent get thrown to the right. There’s a sudden jerk as Jane slams on the brake.

 

TRENT I think I’ll drive on the way back.

 

JANE Do you have a license?

 

TRENT Yeah it’s in my pants.

 

JANE And where are they?

 

TRENT (looks down) Knew I forgot something.

 

JANE (gets out of the car) Maybe you can borrow Jesse’s.

 

TRENT He may want his shirt back first.

 

JANE Keep your shirt on.

 

TRENT But it’s his shirt.

 

Trent (in boxers and a green shirt) gets out of the car. Daria is alone.

 

DARIA This is what I get for fitting in somewhere other than nowhere.

 

Outside we see Jane & Trent with Daria straggling behind on the unkempt lawn of a single story. It and the surrounding neighborhood look very low rent and of 1960’s construction. Beside Trent’s Satellite sits an oil leaking primer and pink 1957 Ford Galaxie Skyliner that trails fluids into the street. Jane hammers away on the door. Daria on the other hand is standing next to the Buick looking down.

 

JANE Dammit! Where the hell is he?

 

TRENT Maybe he’s found a new band.

 

JANE Trent…


TRENT I think the band broke up last week. We didn’t really come to a decision on it.

 

Jane groans and slams her fist on the door a final time. We pan over to Daria who is still looking down. There’s a pair of boots poking out under the front of the car.

 

DARIA I found the body.

 

Jane and Trent walk over. Looking up from a Tarantino angle (inside the hood as opposed to the trunk) it opens and we’re looking up at Daria, Trent and Jane (who re-enters the picture after a few moments) Jesse is in the empty engine compartment doing some work with headphones on full blast. From the static it sounds like Looking down the Barrel of a Gun.

 

JESSE Yeah?

 

JANE Your mom kick you out again?


TRENT Easy, his mom is a tough woman.

 

DARIA (looking away) That’s her chopper then.

 

JANE It’s a 1950’s Harley pan head. Ex- Lawndale PD. Keep it straight.

 

JESSE (removes his headphones) She won’t let me back in until I do my laundry.

 

TRENT Damn. I needed to borrow some pants.

 

JANE We have a gig.

 

JESSE I’m not in the band any more.

 

JANE Come on! There’s money involved. You can afford to have someone else to do your laundry!

 

JESSE It’s not about money. It’s about art.

 

TRENT Rock on.

 

JANE (to Trent) You’re not helping. (to Jesse) Please Jesse! I’ll get Trent to do your laundry.

 

JESSE Is that my shirt?


DARIA Then how about this- you come with us to a party. Bring your guitar. Trent will be there. And the other guy.

 

JANE Guys.

 

DARIA You can play your guitar in front of a bunch of chicks. Trent and the other guys will play too. If you’re all on the same song then so be it.

 

JESSE Cool.

 

JANE You in?

Jesse scoots out from under the car and heads for the front door.

 

JESSE (yells) Mom! Get me my leather pants!

 

Jane, Daria and Trent stand stone still. Daria sniffs, then Trent and Jane.

 

TRENT He’s riding in back.

 

Daria groans.

 

We cut back to them all in the Trent mobile. Jane is driving more normally with Trent beside her. Daria and Jesse share the backseat. Jesse has replaced his coveralls with a leather vest and pants.

 

TRENT What the hell did you bathe in?


JESSE I didn’t bathe.

 

JANE Do tell.

 

JESSE You’re smelling the cran-straw candles off my clothes.

 

TRENT It stinks.

 

JESSE Chicks dig it.

 

JANE (over her shoulder) Daria?

 

DARIA (covering her nose) Why do you insist on addressing me?

 

JANE Just trying to include you.

 

DARIA Exclusion is acceptable.

 

TRENT Thanks for the pants Jess.

 

JESSE It’s cool. I only wore them a time or two.

 

Dysentery Gary plays on the radio.

 

We are treated to a shot of the Trent mobile passing the row of trees that separates the residential district from the commercial. Mostly low rent businesses in cheap one or two story buildings sandwiched together.

 

Cut back to the interior of the Trent mobile. Daria and Jesse are in the backseat, Trent is riding shotgun and Jane is driving. Jesse is drinking beer from a can through a pinhole. (So it doesn’t look open)

 

JANE And if you look to the left you’ll see Lawndale’s Army-Navy. A real Lawndale institution since 1976. (pause) Further down this road is alt.lawndale.com our school sponsored cyber café. I believe their motto is “Money laundering has never felt so good!”

 

DARIA There goes my trick ear.

 

JANE Oh, it’s my little theory. Ms. Li blows most of the school’s funding on paranoia paraphernalia; this is from a casual observer’s stand point mind you, and with this she legitimately diverts funds and launders them.

 

DARIA Those bomb sniffing dogs have to eat somehow.

 

JANE Bet your old school’s metal detectors couldn’t give you the exact change in your pocket.

 

DARIA Last school didn’t have metal detectors.

 

JANE How’d they keep the armed nuts out?

 

DARIA The other students shot him.

 

The car stops and everyone piles out. They’re parked besides “The Tank” a modified ’86 Chevy Van 10 in a weeded out empty lot. On one side is Liqour L’amour and to the other is an iffy three story apartment complex.

 

The Tank: its government surplus so the exterior has been spray painted matte black over the original white. It has a metal equipment rack of top. A red anarchy A is sprayed onto the sliding door. On the passenger and driver side doors blue letters (with a little white showing) are visible:

 

FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY

US NAVY CAL LAB

97 031993

 

Jane tries to open the driver’s side door but it’s locked. She looks into the windows and tries knocking.

 

DARIA He lives in this thing?

 

JANE When he can’t afford rent. And it’s not a thing, it’s the Tank.

 

JESSE It’s indestructible.

 

TRENT But it eats gas.

 

JANE He’s not in here. (points at the apartment building) It appears that is the elegant abode of Max Tyler. He’s a bit temperamental so follow my lead. Don’t talk. Look mean and no smiling.

 

DARIA Do you have to waste your breathe at every opportunity?


JANE (shrugs) I really hate dead air.

 

SCENE: THE ELEGANT ABODE OF MAX TYLER (MAX’S INTERIOR)

 

Max’s home. The studio apartment is completely trashed. Over the layer of garbage is a ton of ‘zen’ paraphernalia. Max sits on a sagging futon eating ramein noodles in a bowl of beer with chopsticks.  He’s transfixed with the TV- Sick, Sad World is on.

 

On TV-  Splitscreen. One side is Glenn Eichler (CAMEO: MIKE JUDGE) and the other is Mike Judge (CAMEO: GLENN EICHLER), their names appear beneath them and both are dressed as boxers.

 

SSW ANNOUNCER (voice over) Watch as two former associates duke it out- On the drawing board!

 

The two screens pull out and become one. Eichler and Judge are at separate easels. Both begin to draw furiously. Susie Lewis Lynn (CAMEO: SUSIE LEWIS LYNN) plays referee between them.

 

SSW ANNOUNCER Boxing Judge/ Boxing Eichler on the next Sick, Sad World!

 

A rapid flurry of knocks at the door.

 

MAX What?

 

JANE (through the door) It’s Jane!

 

MAX Jane who?

 

A moment of silence, murmurs are heard through the door. Max sets down his dinner and stands up.

 

DARIA (through the door) Lawndale PD.

 

MAX Oh sh-!

 

He rushes around the room hiding various objects. All of which look like something you can smoke out of.

 

MAX Just a minute!

 

DARIA (through the door) We know what you’re doing in there. Your mother would be very ashamed.

 

MAX You don’t know about my momma!

 

He rushes into the kitchenette and starts wildly pulling aerosol bottles from under the sink. Then he permeates the room in Lysol. There’s a bout of hacking and coughing before he gets to the door. He opens the door with a smile. Jane flicks the mini bong hanging around his neck.

 

JANE Missed a spot.

 

MAX What do you guys want?

 

JANE A drummer.

 

MAX Do we still have a band?

 

JANE Yes.

 

JESSE No.


TRENT Maybe.

 

DARIA Technically.

 

JANE We’re having an informal jam session tonight.

 

MAX I don’t know guys. I’m busy. I have a lot to work-

 

JANE Free finger foods.

 

MAX Let’s rock!

 

SCENE: PARTAY CRA-ZAY (TAYLOR RESIDENCE)

 

Hollaback Girl plays.

 

Dusk; the Taylor’s residence is a well appointed multi story mansion in a gated community. A bevy of cars sit on the front lawn and under aged drinkers occupy the grounds. The Trent mobile is parked beside the Tank which is parked on a rose bush. Our group stands outside the vehicles but they walk as they talk. They briefly pass a rusted out blue 1972 Ford Pinto.

 

TRENT I swear we forgot something.

 

JANE I know. That’s why I had Jesse bring an extra guitar.

 

TRENT Oh thanks.

 

JANE Just remember guys these are high school girls, so no touchy.

 

MAX But I’m a faith healer, this is my clientele.

 

DARIA Rasputin said the same thing.

 

JANE Pleasure before business tonight Max.

 

MAX But I…right Jane. Pleasure before business.  Ah-ha. Let’s rock.

 

TRENT Janie I know we forgot something.

 

JANE (annoyed) Oh well.

 

SCENE: PARTY ON (TAYLOR INTERIOR)

 

As our intrepid (?) heroes enter Hollaback Girl dies out and Butterfly comes on.

 

The interior is done in a combination of late southern plantation and mock Tudor style with a den inspired by the novels of Isaak Denison. It’s the back drop for mingling and/or dancing students; some of which are ‘getting retarded’.

 

TRENT I know we forgot something Janie.

 

JANE Trent please, you’re like a broken record.

 

Pause. The two stare. We pan over a little. Nick is standing near three cheerleaders with a sly smile and a dark drink in his hand.

 

JANE The bass player. Guess we need one of those.

 

JESSE Not really.

 

DARIA The real Doors didn’t have a bass player.

 

JANE What do you mean ‘The Real Doors’?

 

DARIA You mean this isn’t a Doors cover band?

 

Quiet.

 

JESSE Not cool.


Daria half steps back uncomfortably.

 

TRENT Leave her alone Jesse. It’s our own fault for not sticking with Boa Constryctyr.

 

JANE Or Indian Byrn. That’s with a ‘y’ mind you.

 

JESSE I liked that name. Why didn’t we go back to that?

 

TRENT Because you’d already written “Mystik Spiral” on your guitar case in metallic marker.

 

JESSE Oh yeah. Sorry Daria.

 

Jane walks over to Nick and puts an arm on his shoulder.

 

JANE Nick! Lover boy, how’s college treating you?

 

NICK Jane?!

 

JANE He gets his BA in BS this year.

 

ANGIE Wh- you’re in college?

 

BUFFY Uh! Old freak!

 

Buffy splashes her drink in Nick’s face and they walk off.

 

NICK Dammit!

 

JANE Ready for the gig?

 

NICK What gig?

 

JANE Well since you’re not here for the gig… (faux surprise) Why Nicky, are you crashing a high school party?

 

NICK Gah! Jane it’s not… Okay kind of maybe.

 

TRENT Not cool Nick.


JESSE Yeah.

 

DARIA Um… ditto.

 

SCENE: KEVIN’S AMAZING WINE TRICK (TAYLOR INTERIOR)

 

We cut to the dining room table. Kevin is standing at the end with a wine bottle in his hands and many party goers cheering him on.

 

KEVIN Like this is how to remove a cork from a wine bottle with a string. Check it out! Like I got this from Brit’s basement. Her parents won’t miss it because it’s old. I mean if it was good they’d have drank it already.

 

BRITTANY Band aids Kevvy!

 

Brittany puts down a box of band aids on the table besides a half yard of string.

 

KEVIN Aw babe!

 

He fiddles with the top and yelps as it cuts him. He sucks on his bleeding fingers then Brittany puts band aids on them.

 

KEVIN Now step three.

 

He pours half the wine into various cups on the table. We pull away and observe Daria watching this from the main living room. Jane has her back turned to Daria. She’s watching the band bring in their rigs. Mad Season picks up on the stereo.

 

DARIA Take a look at this Jane.

 

Jane turns around to watch Kevin as well.

 

JANE Ah, quality entertainment.

 

Upchuck saunters by and salutes the girls.

 

UPCHUCK Luscious ladies.

 

We refocus on Kevin as he fumbles with the string.

 

KEVIN Um…now I will be assisted by my lovely assistant.

 

Brittany takes the string and loops the end.


KEVIN Thanks babe!

 

He takes the string and dips it into the bottle.

 

DARIA Must be some tiny fish in that bottle.

 

JANE I wonder what proof they are.

 

Kevin shakes the bottle and struggles with the bottle.

 

KEVIN Come on!

 

JANE (yells) Pull up if you feel a tug!

 

He jerks it hard towards Brittany and sprays her with red wine. Everyone watching is silent and in horror. Brittany’s eyes and mouth are wide.

 

KEVIN Babe?

 

She lets out a scream and runs from the room in a huff.

 

KEVIN What?

 

When he speaks he throws his arms wide and gets wine on a painting. Some people snicker, others go back to what they where doing.

 

KEVIN I’m… redecorating.

 

We focus back on Daria and Jane as the band is about done setting up.

 

JANE (to the band) Please don’t tell me you’re going to use that amp.

 

TRENT We need all the amps we can get. Don’t worry.

 

JANE (to Daria) Jesse personally did some alterations to that amp so it goes to 11. Never  turn it up to 11.

 

DARIA Somehow I’ll fight the urges.

 

JANE I guess we can discuss payment whenever the ditz of the house comes back. Until then…

 

She holds out her arm for Daria to take. Daria just gives her a look.

 

JANE I’m in the mood for something with… I don’t know. Something with a lot of ingredients.

 

DARIA Like sour cream and salsa pork rinds?

 

JANE Let’s just find a bowl of chips and some dip that hasn’t been double dipped in.

 

DARIA Yet.

 

JANE (smiles) I am a bad influence on you.

 

Evan approaches the girls. Evan is a tall, athletic raven haired Caucasian type.

 

The Devil Song comes on the stereo.

 

JANE I think he’s spotted us. Be very still.

 

EVAN Slacker one, slacker two.

 

Jane gives Evan a friendly smile. Daria is not amused so she walks off.

 

JANE You had your chance!

 

EVAN What was that all about?

 

JANE You’ll never know.

 

EVAN And why not?

 

JANE Because you walked into the punch line. It kills the joke.

 

SCENE: FASHIONISTAS (TAYLOR EXTERIOR)

 

Lovefool is on the radio.

 

A loaded black 2005 Lincoln Navigator rolls to a stop in front of the Taylor residence. In the back we see the four members of the Fashion Club in their finest taking orders from Sandi. Linda Griffin is driving.

 

LINDA Call me when you’re done Sandi.

 

SANDI Yeah mom whatever.

 

The Fashion Club hastily exits the SUV and it drives off.

 

TIFFANY Your mom is so smart Sandi.

 

STACY Stick shifts are so complicated!

 

SANDI Just remember tonight no one make any hooks ups.


QUINN Why not?

 

SANDI First major party of the year. Display only. That way next time they’ll be begging to spend even more on you.

 

QUINN No wonder you’re the President of the Fashion Club. That is so smart!

 

SANDI Thank you. Too bad Stacy is too busy admiring my mother to notice.

 

STACY Not true! Wait, what are we talking about again?

 

TIFFANY Taffy pulls.

 

SCENE: …BUT WE MIGHT CHANGE OUR NAME (TAYLOR INTERIOR)

 

Microphone screech. The band is set up in the den. Trent is adjusting the microphone.

 

TRENT Hello. We’re Mystik Spiral. But we might change our name.

 

JESSE Hit it.

 

The band plays Ow! My Face!

 

TRENT (singing)

I’m glad you’re happy watching my pain

Burning crop circles in my soul’s waves of grain

We had no love scene but you’ve cut to the chase

Choppin’ off my nose to spite my face

 

BAND (singing)

Ow! My nose!

Ow! My face!

 

In the middle of the chorus we watch Daria and Jamie watching the band.

 

JAMIE What is that?

 

DARIA The secret track off the latest Boys R Guys album.

 

JAMIE Neat!

 

Ow! My nose!

Ow! My face!

Ow! My nose!

Ow! My face!

Ow!

 

The band plays out. Trent’s POV looking out: He sees that most of his audiences doesn’t know what to make of the last song.

 

TRENT (voice over) That was kind of weak. I should smile or something.

 

We see Trent cough then smile. Daria blushes and slips backwards into the crowd. We pan over to see the Fashion Club enter through the front door.

 

SANDI I know we’re not hooking up tonight but FYI Corey is mine.

 

STACY What about Skyler?

 

SANDI If you want Skyler you have no business being at this party.

 

STACY I didn’t mean that Skyler Sandi! I meant you know… the other one.

 

SANDI Skyler Feldman is the only Skyler at Lawndale Stacy.

 

QUINN Wasn’t Skyler the one who blew you off today?

 

Sandi gives Quinn an evil glare.

 

SANDI I told him to dump my plate at lunch. That’s different.

 

Brooke steps into the Fashion Club formation.

 

BROOKE Sandi!

SANDI Brooke I love your nose.

 

BROOKE Thanks, Dr. Shar did it for me.

 

TIFFANY Wow!

 

STACY She’s the best!

 

The girls babble among themselves and remove themselves from the scene except for Quinn. That’s because as Daria backs up from the crowd in the den she bumps into Quinn.

 

QUINN What are you doing here?!

 

DARIA They’ve lowered standards and I’m popular now too.

 

QUINN Uh!


DARIA Let’s go hang out with your new friends. We’ll all have a gay old time.

 

QUINN (holds out some money) You don’t know me. I don’t know you.

 

DARIA We wouldn’t be lying. No money just yet. I’ll let that build up interest.

 

JOEY (off screen) Quinn!

 

JEFFY Quinn!

 

JAMIE We saved you a front row spot!

 

The three J’s enter the picture from the crowd at a staggered rate.

 

JOEY Hey, you where suppose to save the spot!

 

JEFFY That was your job!

 

JOEY No, it was my idea so it was your job!

 

JAMIE I was look out!

 

JOEY & JEFFY Your job!

 

QUINN (brushes Daria aside) Hey guys.

 

JOEY So it’s you and me tonight.

 

He takes Quinn’s arm. She snuggles up to him.

 

QUINN Oh Joey. Not tonight.

 

JEFFY Because she’s with me!

 

He takes her other arm.

 

QUINN Not really.

 

JAMIE Yes! (to Joey) Loser! (Jeffy) Loser!

 

QUINN (shakes her head) Sorry.

 

JOEY But…

 

JEFFY Yeah…

 

JAMIE But who?

 

QUINN Well, I’ll let all of you do your best tonight and I’ll let you know tomorrow.

 

They speak over each other in complete agreement.

 

DARIA Do you guys also sing in complete harmony? Or do you just suck up that way?

 

QUINN (thrusts more money at Daria) Um, person. Go get me a soda. From another house.

 

DARIA (takes the money) Have fun Gidget.

 

Daria leaves.

JOEY Who was that?


QUINN Oh nobody.

 

JAMIE I heard she was your cousin.

 

QUINN No! She’s my. Oh cousin, of course! Distant.

 

SCENE: WHO LET THE BRAT OUT? (TAYLOR INTERIOR)

 

Upstairs. Jane and Evan swagger up together. At the top there are several doors leading to the different rooms.

 

JANE Have I seen you around school before?

 

EVAN Probably not. A crowd of sycophants render me invisible to the naked eye. Or maybe you just weren’t paying enough attention.

 

JANE I do my best to waste as few brain cells as possible at school.

 

EVAN Saving them up so you can blow ‘em all on some extracurricular activity or event?

 

JANE Like some lame cheerleader’s party? Nah.

 

EVAN Ditto. I’m only here because I live next door and wanted free munchies.

 

JANE At any rate you’re here. I’m here. Let’s make the best of it.

 

EVAN That roofie I slipped in your drink is working like a charm.


JANE I didn’t even have to take a sip.

 

They stop at a door near the end of the hall. Jane gently attempts to open it but it’s stuck.

 

EVAN Allow me.

 

He pushes a bit harder and the door swings up.


JANE Someone put gum in the lock.

 

EVAN Savages in this-

 

BRIAN (unseen) I’m free!

 

Brittany’s younger brother Brian bolts from the room with a maniacal laugh. Jane has a slightly bewildered expression.

 

JANE No more caffeine for me.

 

EVAN (exaggerated polite gesture) After you.

 

JANE Why thank you dear sir.

 

She enters and is followed by Evan. He shuts the door after them.

 

SCENE: LIGHT MY FIRE (TAYLOR INTERIOR)

 

Downstairs. Mystik Spiral is between songs but the crowd remains. Daria is in front near Jesse’s amp.

 

TRENT This is the last song of the first set. I want to dedicate it to…

 

We quickly cut to Daria biting her lip.

 

MAX I thought we where getting paid for an informal jam session! No dedications man!

 

DARIA (murmurs) Settle down Daria.

 

JESSE I wanna do 53rd and 3rd.

 

TRENT (covers the mike with his hand) We don’t do covers outside of practice. Um, oh yeah.

 

The band gets into position to play.

 

NICK Hit it!

 

The band plays 53rd & 3rd.

 

TRENT (singing)

Well you think you can?

Then come on man,

I was a green beret in Afghanistan!

 

NICK & TRENT (singing)

No more of your fairy stories

‘Cause I got my own worries!

 

BAND (singing)

53rd & 3rd !

 

TRENT (singing)
Standin’ on the street!

 

BAND (singing)

53rd & 3rd !

 

TRENT (singing)

Tryin’ turn a trick!

 

BAND (singing)

53rd & 3rd !

 

TRENT (singing)

Don’t it make ya feel sick!?

 

As they move into overlapping guitar and drum solos from Jesse & Max Brian Taylor runs in chased by Brittany.

 

BRITTANY Get back here!

 

Brian giggles with glee and runs up to the nearest amp, Jesse’s. He cranks it to 11 and runs. It spews sparks and a black cloud. Daria shields her face but sparks catch onto her leather jacket and smolder. One picks up and begins to burn on her arm.

 

BRITTANY ABC! ABC!

 

JODIE That’s for rescue breathing!

 

BRITTANY What’s rescue breathing?


Daria whips the jacket off and stomps it out. At the same time Max trying to beat out a flame on the end of his drumstick. Finally Mack McKenzie runs in with a fire extinguisher and puts out the amp. Silence. Trent clears his throat.

 

NOTE: While Daria is jacketless she is visibly a little jittery and slightly off the mark.

 

TRENT That was the first set.

 

JESSE Next is the second set!

 

TRENT Um…yeah. We’ll be back.

 

Daria picks up her jacket very gingerly. Mack, Jodie and Brittany go to Daria.

 

MACK Are you okay?

 

DARIA Nothing singed but my dignity. And my jacket.

 

BRITTANY I didn’t know you where on the guest list!

 

Jodie giver Brittany an off look.

 

DARIA Oh me. I’m with the band. I’m security.

 

BRITTANY But we already have security here!

 

We do a quick pan over to a fat, balding security guard doing Jello shots at the dining room table. A few bottles of alcohol are on the table.

 

DARIA Well… I’m here to remove undesirable types from the party. We know our own.

 

BRITTANY Like on that TV show?

 

DARIA Yes. Like on that TV show.

 

BRITTANY (whispers) Can you see the past too?

 

DARIA What show are we talking about again?

 

BRITTANY But… I’m confused.

 

JODIE Hey Brit is your brother wearing a dress?

 

BRITTANY Where?!

 

Brittany runs off.

 

DARIA Thanks.


JODIE Personally I can’t stand her and I’m her defacto confidant.

 

DARIA You didn’t mention that on the tour.


JODIE I know. I hope the tour didn’t give you the wrong image of me.


DARIA You mean I can choose my favorite?

 

JODIE I was trying to be nice Daria.

 

MACK Jodie’s the most down to Earth girl at the school.

 

DARIA I bet she is.

 

JODIE I don’t care for that tone. When you’re done being judgmental and condescending maybe then we can have an intellectual conversation.


Mack and Jodie leave. Daria swings around and cups her hands around her mouth to yell. She’s aimed at Quinn who is a good 30 feet away with her clique.


DARIA (yells) Hey sis, I have vocal tone!

 

SANDI What is that girl doing?

 

QUINN What girl?

 

SANDI That one over there.

 

QUINN Who knows? Since when have brains ever made sense?

 

SANDI Sly. So Quinn, if I’m not mistaken I saw you with Joey, Jeffy and Jamiel-

 

QUINN That’s Jeremy.

 

SANDY Whatever Jimmy. That’s three hook ups in a night. I thought we agreed to no hook ups.

 

QUINN Those weren’t hook ups Sandi! That’s a dry run. All three of them are with me tonight and tomorrow I’ll tell them which one I dated so really it’s not a date until tomorrow.

 

STACY Wow that is so smart Quinn!

 

TIFFANY I want to try that!

 

SANDI Well if Quinn’s so smart why don’t we just vote her into the presidency?

 

STACY Because we elected you president for life?

 

SANDI (smiles) That’s right. Which means no dating tonight.


QUINN Wait, if you’re a president and you were elected doesn’t that mean we get to vote on things?

 

SANDI That was deep. Very brain like I’d say.

 

QUINN I didn’t say anything brain like!

 

SANDI Maybe that girl over there yelling like a geek is a little less brainy than you. Maybe she would be interested in the Vice Presidency of the Fashion Club.

 

QUINN No she wouldn’t! I mean, look at her. No volumizer which under rule 4-3 is grounds for immediate and permanent disqualification. Signed and notarized by Sandi Griffin, President.

 

STACY I remember that one!

 

TIFFANY Me too!

 

SANDI Fine! If you all want to try things Quinn’s way then tonight we can.

 

STACY Great!

 

The Fashion Club scatters. Sandi is left standing alone.

 

SCENE: PAWN IT! (LAWNDALE)

 

Frank Sinatra is on the Tank’s radio.

 

Late night. The Tank is driving down a near empty street- the one we visited prior with alt.lawndale.com on it. About a block down and on the other side of the street is Randy’s Rock N’ Pawn.

 

NICK Let’s try that one!

 

Interior of Randy’s Rock N’ Pawn: A typical cramped pawn shop with mounds of old videos, rifles and musical equipment. A bell rings when Max and Nick enter. Rock N’ Roll Randy is behind the counter.

 

RANDY You’re musicians aren’t you?

 

MAX Yeah.

 

RANDY You smell like it.

 

NICK That’s just our guitarist’s cran-straw candles you’re smelling.

 

MAX (points at an amp) How much?

 

RANDY 200.

 

MAX (to Nick) Empty your pockets.

 

NICK They are empty.

 

MAX It’s no big. We’re criminales man! We’ll improvise!

 

NICK Hells yeah!

 

RANDY You guys need some cash?

 

MAX Badly.

 

RANDY How?

 

MAX I’ll trade you a bass guitar complete with player for that amp.

 

RANDY That’s it?

 

MAX I’d trade you The Tank.

 

We quickly pan over to the front window where we see the Tank.

 

RANDY On a generous day I’d give you a microphone for that. Luckily for you I’m feeling damn generous tonight. I have a proposition for you.

 

NICK Whoa! Max, he’s wearing a wire.

 

MAX Shut up Nick. (leans in closer to Randy) We’re listening.


RANDY Well…just down the way is a coffee shop and I like cappuccino.

 

NICK But it’s closed, we can’t get you a cup.

 

RANDY (clears his throat) I don’t want a cup.

 

NICK A mug?

 

Exterior: Nick and Max stroll out with renewed purpose.

 

NICK (yells) CRIMINALES!

 

MAX Shh! Keep it down! We don’t know if there’s a cop around!

 

We focus on the glass window of alt.lawndale.com. Nick yells as he sends a brick through the window.

 

NICK (yells) CRIMINALES!

 

MAX Dumb ass.

 

Max, using a yellow rubber glove, opens the door and walks in. Nick hops through the broken window and helps Max swipe the giant cappuccino machine from the counter.

 

NICK Damn things heavier than your mom!

 

MAX Shut up! You don’t know my mom!

 

We cut to the Tank flying down the road at top speed with the music blaring.

 

MAX (voice over) Ride the speed limit you dumb ass!

 

NICK But we’re criminales!

 

MAX You’re my bitch if you don’t shut up!

 

SCENE: FLOAT ON (TAYLOR INTERIOR)

 

Float On plays on the stereo.

 

Daria (with her undamaged jacket on) is sitting Indian style in a corner near the stage reading Kafka’s The Metamorphosis. A shadow falls over her.


TRENT Hey Daria.

 

DARIA Trent.

 

He holds out his hands.

 

TRENT Want to dance?

 

DARIA No, I’m um….

 

She takes his hand anyway and they dance.

 

TRENT You know I was going to dedicate that song to you earlier.


DARIA Really?

 

TRENT Yeah. I think… I love you.


DARIA But we just met.

 

TRENT I’m an artist. I can see how things are deep down. You don’t need time for that.


DARIA Really?

 

TRENT When Max and Nick get back want to join me on stage?

 

DARIA Gee, I’ve always wanted to do my rousing rendition of Sink the Bismark on stage.

 

TRENT (pushes her away) Forget it.


DARIA What’d I do?

 

TRENT I thought I saw the real you. It was just a façade.

 

DARIA This is the real me.

 

TRENT Then who wants to hang with that?

DARIA I thought you did.

 

TRENT (laughs) Silly self deluded girl.

 

He laugh/coughs and Daria snaps awake. She’s still sitting in the corner with a book in her hands. Monkey Wrench is on the stereo. She checks herself for a jacket.


DARIA (sighs) Could I have at least kept the jacket?

 

Trent’s shadow falls over Daria.


TRENT Hey Daria.

 

Daria doesn’t look up.

 

DARIA Hey.

 

Trent sits down beside her.

 

TRENT You okay?

DARIA …I’ve been wearing that jacket since 6th grade. Now it’s gone.

 

TRENT Sorry about the amp doing that.


DARIA It’s not your fault.

 

Moments after Monkey Wrench ends Float On begins.

 

TRENT Didn’t say it was. But it was still the band’s amp that killed your jacket. Tell you what; I got a jacket back in the Tank you can use. It may smell a little funny but that’s because it’s in my emergency clothes supply for when we’re on the road. Don’t ask. You can have it. If you don’t want it you can wear it until you find a new jacket.

 

DARIA (looks up) Thanks Trent.

 

Trent stands up and holds out his hand.

 

TRENT I like this song. (smirks) Want to dance?

 

SCENE: SO WE MEET AGAIN (TAYLOR INTERIOR)

 

Float On dies out.

 

In the hallway. Daria, burned jacket in hand, is making a strategic exit from the den as Jane makes her way downstairs. She looks slightly disheveled.

 

JANE What have you been up to?

 

DARIA Looking for the ladies powder room.

 

JANE That guy you winked at mistook my head for a lollipop.

 

DARIA Gee, I feel bad.

 

JANE What happened to your jacket?

 

DARIA Some little nihilist.


JANE Too bad. It really tied the outfit together.

 

DARIA Trent offered me his jacket out of the Tank.

 

JANE The one with the odor? (laughs) Did he tell you-

 

DARIA No and I want to keep it that way.

 

In the background Mystik Spiral takes to the stage again and are setting up the new amp.

 

JANE That’s not Jesse’s.

 

DARIA Of course not. This amp is non-smoking.

 

JANE I leave for a few private minutes and the whole world falls apart.

 

DARIA Going to take a vow of celibacy now?


JANE Hell no!  Chaos and disorder are my dual goals in life.

 

DARIA I thought it was sleep and art.

 

JANE All four then. I’m a straight C student and math was never my strong suite.

 

We shift focus back to the band.

 

TRENT We’re back.

 

NICK (yells) CRIMINAL-

 

Max smacks Nick at the base of his neck with a drumstick.

 

The band plays Every Dog Has His Day.

 

TRENT (singing)

You put me on a short leash

 

BAND (singing)

And threw away my hydrant!

 

TRENT (singing)

You ate up all my kibble

 

BAND (singing)

Now my coat’s no longer vibrant!

 

SCENE: THE JACKET (TAYLOR EXTERIOR)

 

We transition to Daria & Jane outside at the Tank. We can still hear the band playing inside. Jane pops open the side door of the Tank.

 

The interior is straight up cargo van- there’s a cage with a door separating the cab from the cargo area. In the back is a whole lotta junk, an emergency light and a footlocker.

 

JANE Come on Daria.

 

DARIA That’s okay, I’ll watch from here.

 

JANE It’s safe. It’s the Tank. It’s indestructible.

 

DARIA I’ll come in when my shots are all up to date.

 

JANE So be it.

 

Jane climbs in. There’s a cat yowl and a dirty looking Siamese springs out past Jane then Daria.

 

JANE Taylor!

 

Inside Jane tries to turn on the emergency light but it won’t stay on.

 

JANE Didn’t know a cat could live off of stale jerky…uh…

 

Jane crawls out dragging a footlocker behind her. Daria takes a key out of her coat pocket.

 

JANE Before this momentous occasion are there any words you’d like to say?

 

DARIA Shut up.

 

She unlocks and opens the chest.

 

JANE Wow, it’s incredible.

 

DARIA That’s amazing. What are you talking about?

 

JANE I had no idea Trent could fold and organize clothes.

 

DARIA Jesse’s mom probably can.

 

JANE Nothing smells washed so I’m inclined to agree.

 

Jane looks at the open footlocker while Daria begins digging in.

 

JANE Why did I think this would be more interesting?

 

DARIA Not exactly exploring the wreck of the Titanic is it?

 

Daria digs through organized stacks of clothing and hands what she takes out to Jane.

 

DARIA Found it.

 

Daria pulls out a slightly too large green jacket with an overstated collar.

 

JANE That’s where Trent put my jacket. It’s from my special Travis Bickle collection.

 

Daria holds it out to Jane.

 

JANE Keep it, I haven’t worn that thing since 6th grade anyway.

 

DARIA Thanks.

 

JANE Now I don’t have to pay you that twenty bucks.

 

Daria gives Jane the glare.

 

JANE Kidding. You need to relax more.

 

Daria pulls on the coat and zips it up 2/3 of the way.

 

DARIA I’ll relax when I’m in Tahiti and this doesn’t look like Tahiti to me.

 

JANE Don’t speak so soon. I see the money train on the front porch. You’ll be in Tahiti sooner than you think. Failing that I’ll buy you a daiquiri if it’ll stop the whining.

 

We pan over as Daria and Jane go to Brittany who is standing on the porch.

 

JANE Brittany que pasa?

 

BRITTANY Um… No habla Ingles?

 

Jane spouts out some rapid fire Spanish. (or Cornholio-ese. Whichever is funnier)

 

BRITTANY Maybe I should call up the gardener.

 

JANE Not necessary. I was just going to ask you about the band’s payment for this gig.

 

Brittany tilts her head slightly, giving a combination ‘dog trying to think/deer in the headlights’ look. Unconsciously she begins twirling hair around her little finger.

 

JANE I’m here to collect the band’s money. We talked about this on the phone.

 

BRITTANY But I already paid the band. I gave the money to their manager.

 

JANE I’m the band’s manager.

 

DARIA Calm down Jane. You need to relax more.

 

JANE Someone ran off with your twenty bucks so stop the joking please. (to Brittany) Who is this so called manager you gave the band’s money too?

 

BRITTANY Um… let’s see. He wasn’t popular…

 

JANE Thanks for narrowing it down.


BRITTANY (shrugs) You all look alike sometimes!

 

DARIA It’s what I get for following the crowd.

 

BRITTANY Red hair…freckles… I know! Upchuck!

 

JANE Why did you think Upchuck was with us?

 

BRITTANY He’s unpopular, you’re unpopular.

 

Daria and Jane cross their arms.

 

BRITTANY He’s unpopular, you’re unpopular.

 

No rebuttal from Daria or Jane; just accusing stares.


BRITTANY I thought he was the manager and you two where just groupies!

 

DARIA Before you try to think go find adult supervision.

 

BRITTANY Then what should I do?

 

DARIA Just… keep twirling your hair around your little finger and practice that vacant stare.

 

Brittany looks at Daria quizzically.

 

BRITTANY Sorry about the money.


DARIA Let’s go tell the band.

JANE No. They need this time together.

 

Daria and Jane walk away from Brittany but we stay focused on her as we listen to the two girls talk. Evan comes up and we see him propositioning Brittany.

 

JANE That jacket really works for you.

 

DARIA It’s a bit big.

 

JANE You’ll grow into it. Or we can take you to Dr. Shar for human growth hormones and augmentation.


DARIA My glasses are as augmented as I get.

 

JANE We could go down there anyway just to see how far we can lead her on, strike up a deal then walk out.

 

DARIA Sounds like a real public service.

 

JANE Guess we can’t do that then.

 

Now Kevin enters the picture. He and Evan trade unheard words.

 

JANE Uh-oh.

 

They turn and watch as Mack gets in between the two. Evan hits him and it gets ugly.

 

SCENE: TRIPLE THREAT (TAYLOR INTERIOR)

 

We focus on the band.

 

TRENT This next song we’ve never played with an audience before.

 

JESSE I don’t think we’ve ever practiced it before.

 

TRENT Cool. Freestyle.

 

 A man in a boonie hat (DIRECTOR CAMEO: ME) walks up to Trent and hands him a note before fading back into the crowd.

 

TRENT (coughs) Will the owner of a 6’ Lawndale Lion: Kevin Thompson and a 6’1” Lion: Mack McKenzie please pull these two out of an altercation with a 5’10” Track-lete: Evan Farmer on the front lawn? (pause) Altercation means fistfight you troglodytes.

 

We cut to Quinn and the three J’s near the back edge of the room.

 

JEFFY Kevin’s our boy!

 

JOEY Let’s go!

 

The three J’s  rush from Quinn. Quinn’s jaw drops. A moment later Jamie runs back to her.

 

JAMIE Can I borrow your camera phone?

 

We move to the band as they begin a new song with a quick paced rock beat.

 

TRENT (singing)

Layin’ rubber at the Pizza King!

 

JESSE (singing)

In your ratty Satellite!


TRENT (singing)

Eat no onion rings!

 

NICK (singing)

Must be Friday night!

 

TRENT (singing)

Saturday night doesn’t got a damn thing!

 

BAND (singing)

Sunday mornin’ bad dreams!

 

TRENT (singing)

My head full of Night Train

 

JESSE (singing)

Got NyQuil on the brain!

 

TRENT (singing)

Product placement has killed everything!

 

BAND

Small town values don’t mean a damn thing!

 

TRENT (singing)

Success has killed everything!

 

BAND

Failure is my main dream!

 

TRENT (singing)

Let the F word sing!

 

SCENE: ALTERCATION (TAYLOR EXTERIOR)

 

Now with about ten people in the fist fight it plays out to the Spiral’s song. More members of the track team and football team join in the fight. Many gather on the lawn to watch. Daria and Jane are snacking on a bag of popcorn next to the Trent mobile.


JANE We should do this more regularly.

 

DARIA Next time I’ll let you borrow my dad’s video camera and watch it later.

 

JANE You’re not enjoying this?

DARIA On the whole I’d rather be sleeping.


JANE Well said amiga.

 

Jane tosses the empty bag into the backseat of the Trent mobile. Daria watches a man in a bathrobe on a cell phone watch them from the next house over.

 

DARIA It looks like the neighbor is calling the cops.


JANE Between the fight on the lawn and the booze in the house we should probably get a move on. It wouldn’t be good if you finished out a school night in jail.

 

DARIA On the other hand you wouldn’t mind spending time in a place where everyone knows you name.

 

In the surrounding area we notice mass panic as people attempt not to get sucked into the fight and/or get in their cars and drive out.

 

JANE We’ve only known each other 18 hours and you already know me better than most. Am I that simple?

 

DARIA I’d dare say 2 dimensional.

 

Jane slides over the hood and Daria lets herself in the car.

 

JANE Like a live action cartoon character Daria.

 

Jane starts the car. She pulls onto the driveway. Quinn runs out in front of them and gets caught in the headlights.

 

DARIA Dreams do come true.


Jane guns the engine. It freaks out Quinn. She runs to Daria’s window and shoves her head in.

 

QUINN Daria, you guys got to get me out of here! The neighbor called the cops!

 

DARIA But you look so good in stripes.

 

QUINN I’ll pay you!

 

JANE Money?

 

DARIA No, we should teach her that money can’t buy everything

 

Quinn whips out her credit card. Daria opens the door and scoots forward.

 

JANE For everything else…We need to warn the band!

 

They hear sirens wailing. We do a quick cut to a pair of Crown Victoria Police Interceptors in LPD colors coming down the road leading into Crew Neck.

 

QUINN No time!

 

Quinn gets pulled in through the window as Jane takes off. She’s stopped by the security gate at the entrance. A moment of slow idling is inter-cut with the closing police cars. The gate slowly opens.  The cops get closer. Finally the gate opens and they pull out onto the street. Several police cars with sirens blaring zoom past them.

 

SCENE: NOTE (TAYLOR INTERIOR)

 

The band is still on stage with a few guys hanging around. The same guy from before walks up and hands him a note then disappears.

 

TRENT To the owners of a black and white 1997 Crown Victoria your lights are flashing. Also, to the owner of a black and white 2001 Crown Victoria your lights also are flashing…

 

He looks up from the note and sees several smiling cops in the room. One of which is Curtis Stelano. (Important for later scene.)

 

JESSE Uh-oh.

 

Nick tries to take off running but trips over an amp’s power cable and lands fast first.

 

MAX (deep breath) I regret nothing. Nothing other than knowing Nick.

 

NICK Bite me dillweed!

 

SCENE: RIGHT PLACE, WRONG TIME (GLEN OAK LANE/ MORGENDORFFER EXTERIOR)

 

Glen Oak Lane at late night. The Trent mobile pulls up to the curb several houses down from the Morgendorffer residence.

 

JANE Nice place.


DARIA Not ours.

 

Daria gets out and waits for Quinn.

 

JANE Afraid to let your folks meet your new friend?

 

DARIA Yes.

 

JANE Am I that embarrassing?

 

DARIA Yes.

 

Daria shuts the door and Jane takes off. She and Quinn walk towards the house.

 

QUINN Well I guess that’s a step up from those boys in Highland.

 

DARIA And what would you know about Highland Quinelle?

 

QUINN Don’t try any of that French on me.

 

DARIA Actually that was Finnish but I knew you wouldn’t know the difference.

 

QUINN If you had you for a sister you’d deny you too.

 

DARIA Only for legal reasons. Now about my payment.

 

Daria holds out her hand. Quinn stops and folds her arms.

 

QUINN I’m not actually giving you my card Daria. Sitting in that –ew- back seat was bad enough. That nasty scent and buttery… ew!

 

DARIA Give me the card or I’ll tell your clique you’re not French

 

QUINN Like they’d believe that.


DARIA You’re right. That was kind of weak. (pause) I have a better idea. Why don’t I give the boys your new address?

 

QUINN You wouldn’t!

 

DARIA I’ll let Beavis know you’re thinking of him. It’s past ten so I bet he’s thinking of you.

 

QUINN You-you-!!!! Can’t!

 

DARIA (smiles) Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

 

QUINN Oooohhhhh!

 

Quinn takes out the card and throws it on the ground. Daria picks it up and keeps walking as Quinn stays in the same spot, arms crossed.


Right Place, Wrong Time gently plays up.

 

When standing at the front door Daria glances over her shoulder to where Quinn was but her sister is now nowhere in sight.  Daria opens the door and softly closes it behind her. Jake is on the sofa watching McLintock!  He twists around to see Daria.

 

JAKE Hey kiddo! You’re home late. Where have you been?

DARIA The napalm dump.

 

JAKE They have one here too?

 

Daria gets halfway up the stairs before Helen yells at her.

 

HELEN (yelling angrily) Daria Anne Morgendorffer!

 

DARIA Damn.

 

Her head and shoulders slump.

 

SCENE: INTERROGATION (MORGENDORFFER INTERIOR)

 

The kitchen. Daria sits at the table while her parents stand on either side.

 

HELEN Why have you broken curfew young lady?

 

JAKE She said something about a napalm dump before.

 

HELEN Jake!

 

JAKE What?

 

DARIA I didn’t even know we had a curfew.

 

HELEN It was put, in no uncertain terms, on the family agreement you signed.

 

JAKE Yeah! What agreement?

 

HELEN I signed for you.

 

DARIA I was at… a party.

 

HELEN (disbelief, folds her arms) Uh-huh.

 

DARIA I didn’t go on my own, I was with a band.

 

HELEN (sighs) I expected you to be a bit smug but in the end honest.


DARIA I was at a party! It was at some cheerleader’s house in Crewe Neck.

 

We quickly cut to the news. It’s on the TV in the living room in a direct line of sight from where Daria sits. We see footage of the fight at the party. A female news anchor is covering the story.

 

ANCHOR Back to you Abbey.

 

We go back to the debacle in the kitchen.

 

DARIA You want proof? Quinn was there too.

 

JAKE Don’t try and drag your sister into this.

 

HELEN Jake, how many witnesses have you dealt with before?

 

JAKE Um, including that time in Boulder?

 

HELEN That was an accessory. (lower) Never mention that again Jake.

 

DARIA Quinn is still out there. She hasn’t come in yet.

 

JAKE No, she called back an hour ago saying she was on her way back.

 

DARIA Did you see her come in?

 

HELEN Fine, we’ll humor you.

 

JAKE But only because you’re our daughter.

 

Helen glares at Jake.

 

We cut the upstairs of the home. The trio comes to Quinn door. Helen knocks. No answer.

 

HELEN (quietly) Quinn.

 

Daria folds her arms and smirks.

 

Helen opens the door. The room is dark. Daria flips on the light switch.


The room is pink in all ways. The walls are covered in teen idol posters and cute things. The floor is full of stuffed animals and cutesy knick knacks. In the center is an over-sized four post bed with Quinn in it. She looks a little groggy then gets out of bed and stretches. She’s wearing a pink night gown.

 

QUINN Good morning mother and father. (smiles) Daria.

 

Daria’s face belies some anger but she keeps it to herself.

 

HELEN This is low Daria, I can’t express how disappointed I am with you. First you break curfew then you lie to me. Broken curfew is punishable by a maximum penalty not to exceed 14 days grounding. But since you just lied under oath-

 

DARIA I didn’t take an oath.

 

HELEN It was on the agreement. Now since you’ve lied to us I’m taking on an additional week of punishment. It’s late so we’ll determine that tomorrow.

 

SCENE: CHARLES IN CHARGE (LHS INTERIOR)

 

A quick establishing shot of LHS.

 

Bee Stung Lips (intro only) plays us in.

 

We see Daria and Jane in the hall near Daria’s locker (150). It’s before class so numerous students are loitering about. Daria has on the green jacket, a burnt orange T-shirt and a black pleated skirt. Jane’s changed her T-shirt to a different black one with a white V-neck.

 

JANE Trent’s in jail with the band. I need to bail him out but don’t have the cash.


DARIA I’m in a similar predicament. I’m grounded for coming home past curfew.

 

JANE They punished you for being home late?

 

DARIA It’s my own fault for not reading the fine print. The worst part is that I now have to join an after school activity.

 

JANE One of those? Okay, now you’re officially not cool enough to hang around me anymore.

 

DARIA Gee, now what am I going to do between classes?

 

JANE Hang around me anyway, now let’s go find Chucky. Get a happy ending from last night.

 

DARIA Should I click my heels for luck?

 

JANE Whatever floats your boat.

 

We cut to Upchuck leaning over Andrea the Goth’s locker.

 

UPCHUCK So Andrea, do you, as I, see past this meaningless existence, experience only the pain within?

 

ANDREA Do you know what rhinoplasty is?

 

UPCHUCK Would you care to enlighten my darkness?

 

ANDREA Keep bothering me and you’ll need to know.


Andrea slams her locker and leaves the scene.

 

UPCHUCK Rowr!

 

Suddenly Jane grabs him from behind and spins the bastard around.

 

UPCHUCK Ladies! No need to get frisky. Unless you want to.

 

JANE Where the Hell is our money?

 

UPCHUCK What are you talking about? (looks around) Either of you wearing a wire?

 

JANE My amiga is wearing size 6 ½ D combat boots-

 

DARIA Addison flight line boots. Get it straight Jane.

 

JANE Do you know what that’ll do to the contents of a size 32 pair of Hanes?

 

UPCHUCK H-How much money?

 

JANE The band’s gig money from last night.

 

UPCHUCK (laughs) Oh that money. Brittany gave it to me; I haven’t a clue as to why.

 

DARIA Neither does she.

 

JANE The gig money Upchuck, otherwise you can say hello to my little friend’s steel toed friend.

 

UPCHUCK (smiles) You know what, on second thought, take your best shot.

 

He smiles and thrusts his crotch out at the girls. Jane looks at Daria who shrugs.

 

UPCHUCK I thought so. Besides-

 

He knocks on his crotch; we hear his knuckles hit the plastic cup.

 

DARIA I’m not sure if I should be impressed or reviled.

 

UPCHUCK Now ladies, I have a proposition (growls) that may be mutually beneficial to both parties.

 

DARIA Otherwise it wouldn’t be mutually beneficial.

 

UPCHUCK I propose a trade. The money for some… (growl) Compromising Polaroids of either of you sweet flowers. Enticing but not fully arousing. But that makes it all the more arousing, does it not?

 

Daria kicks him hard between the legs. He feels it a little and bites his lip.

 

DARIA Pictures. Deal.

 

She turns and walks off at a quickened pace. Jane sprints to catch up.

 

JANE You’re agreeing to him?!

 

DARIA He wants pictures. I can do pictures.

 

JANE Let’s get you to the school nurse, you are obviously not well.

 

DARIA Do you know who I am?

 

JANE Daria Morgendorffer, new student at Lawndale High.

 

DARIA New student. I hate that term, ‘new’. It’s ephemeral. What’s new becomes old. What’s new here is old business in Texas.

 

JANE I’m listening.

 

DARIA In Highland I was a photographer for the school paper. If he wants to see a compromising image I’ll give it to him. It won’t be the first time.

 

JANE (smirks) Looks like the claws are popping out now.

 

DARIA Its principle Jane. I won’t be wronged. I won’t be insulted. I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and God help them if they do it to me.

 

LI (on loudspeaker) Good morning Laaawndale High! Its five to eight which means all students should begin making their way to the auditorium for a special announcement. This announcement will concern all who learn here at Laaawndale High.

 

JANE She’s going to take DNA samples, I just know it.

 

DARIA Better grab a hair net and some gloves.

 

JANE If only the cafeteria people would take that advice.

 

SCENE: BAD CASE (LAW OFFICES)

 

The Law Offices of Vitale, Davis, Horowitz, Schrecter, Schrecter and Schrecter.

The establishing shot: The offices are in an older, more upscale part of the Lawndale city proper.

 

Interior, the office of Helen Morgendorffer: A large empty office built to accommodate Helen and Marianne her assistant.

 

Marianne sits at her desk typing, she has a world’s greatest mom coffee mug, and a picture of her and her son besides the keyboard.

 

Helen is trying to feng shui her degrees on the wall. She looks at the window behind her desk and to the walls.

 

HELEN Marianne.

 

MARIANNE Yes sir- ma’am.

 

Helen sits behind her desk. It contains the computer, phone, a rolodex, in box, out box and a family picture about to fall of the edge.

 

HELEN Woman to woman, how does this look? I mean does it make me look authoritive, dare even powerful? I noticed there weren’t many… other female lawyers or paralegals so I don’t want there to be any misperceptions as to where I stand in the pecking order.

 

Knock on Helen’s door. Helen straightens up at the desk.

 

HELEN Come in.

 

Eric Schrecter, in business attire, strolls in. He has an attaché case under an arm.

 

ERIC Watch out, fox is in the henhouse.

 

Eric and Helen share a weak laugh. Marianne does a nervous one.

 

HELEN Oh Eric, what brings you by this morning?

 

ERIC Armani wingtips, but all joking aside I have a case for you if you’re up to it.

 

HELEN Always.

 

ERIC Good.

 

He sets the case on her desk.

 

ERIC The combination is 6-6-6.

 

HELEN A bad luck case?

 

ERIC You up to it?

 

HELEN I told you the first time Eric.

 

She opens the case. Inside are office stationary, pens, a T-shirt, ball cap and a CD marked “Legal Downloads”.

 

ERIC (laughs) It’s your welcome aboard package!

 

HELEN Why thank you Eric; but I was hoping to get involved with the Crewe Neck party case. I heard that both High School track team members and football players are going to court and both sides have come to us for legal counseling.

 

ERIC Can’t get any more win-win than that now can it?

 

He starts back to the door, says his next line then exits.

 

ERIC Relax Helen, something will shoot down the pipeline for you pretty soon. I’m sure of it.

 

Helen weakly laughs and rolls her eyes. She holds up the stationary and reads it. She appears annoyed and kind of pissed as she tosses it behind her. A close up on the stationary reveals that they’ve misspelled Morgendorffer with just one f.

 

SCENE: STUDENTS ASSEMBLE! (LHS AUDITORIUM)

 

The LHS auditorium. A cavernous blue room with a half circle of seats built around a stage, very much like a movie theatre.

 

Daria and Jane take seats as students pour in.

 

JANE I wonder if she polished her jackboots for this.

 

The room grows dark except for the stage lights. Ms. Li takes to the podium on stage.

 

LI I have bad news for Laaawndale High. Our beloved cybercafe, alt.lawndale.com has been vandalized!


DARIA That’s one way to get your insurance’s worth.

 

LI The window has been desecrated and our real Italian cappuccino machine has been absconded with!

 

JANE Someone’s been saving up word of the days.

 

LI We will not stand for this!

 

DARIA Is this the point where she thrusts her hand out at a 45 degree angle?

 

LI There is a reward for whoever finds the culprits!

 

JANE Just one more reason to skip class.


DARIA Then how could you find the culprit?

 

JANE Damn; an incentive to stay in school till 4.

 

LI But in the meantime we’ll pick up the pieces, clean up the café and a fundraiser will begin immediately! I just want to thank Jane Lane for being the first to volunteer.

 

JANE What?!

 

DARIA She can’t do that.


JANE Volunteered, volun-told. Same difference. I’m in trouble with the school so I had it coming. I guess it’s either this or playing Tour Guide Janie. Dammit.

 

DARIA I’m sorry.

 

JANE You’re not sorry.

 

DARIA Okay, I’m mildly amused at your plight.

 

JANE Be that to. You’re helping me.

 

DARIA What’s my motivation again?

 

JANE If you don’t do this you’ll have to spend some quality time with Mr. O’Neill at the It’s Okay to Cry Corral.

 

DARIA Oh God.

 

JANE The pep squad has an opening. I bet Jodie can hook you up with-

 

DARIA All right I’m in.

 

LI On a related note, the school nurse will be coming around to take DNA samples.

 

SCENE: BAKED GOODS (LAWNDALE)

 

A suburban street similar to the one Daria lives on. We see the girls each holding a box of candy bars.

 

JANE I guess this gives us time to plot.

 

DARIA You’re not helping.

 

Daria rings the doorbell on a stately looking home. A long moment of silence. Daria shrugs and the girls start back to the sidewalk. Stomping inside. The door swings up and a disturbingly obese woman, Mrs. Johansen wheezes at the door.

 

JOHANSEN Get back here you little turds! Ding, dong ditch my ass! (wheezes) Hey, them candy bars?

 

JANE Yes!

 

DARIA No. (pause) A moment please.

 

They turn their backs on Johansen.

 

DARIA I have a bad feeling about this.

 

JANE When don’t you have a bad feeling about something?

 

DARIA When have I had a reason not to?

 

JANE Fine I’ll do it.

 

Jane turns back to Mrs. Johansen, but Johansen isn’t around. The door is still open so they investigate.

 

Mrs. Johansen’s living room is very large with everything proportioned for a woman of her size. It’s decorated in early old people.

 

Johansen sprawled out on her back.

 

JANE And me without my camera.


Daria looks at her.

 

JANE Ideas?

 

DARIA Well I don’t have a heart saver card if that’s what you’re suggesting.

 

JANE We should do something. I’m sure of it.

 

Daria steps in and grabs a phone from the end table.

 

DARIA (on the phone) Ma’am, there’s a passed out woman on the floor. Is she breathing? I can’t be sure until she stops jiggling.

 

JOHANSEN (wheezes) So you girls selling chocolate bars, cookies or what?

 

Cut to: Daria and Jane walking down the sidewalk.

 

JANE That was our cash cow and you blew it.

 

DARIA I’m not stopping you from going back.

 

JANE I know. I just felt like it was my turn to bitch.

 

DARIA Are we done yet?

 

JANE (checks her watch) It’s only 2:30.

 

DARIA It’s a good thing we don’t have classes to attend.


JANE You’re cranky when you miss that afternoon nap.

 

DARIA Keep pushing it.

 

They walk in silence for a few moments. Then Jane pulls a crumpled piece of paper from her pocket.

 

DARIA World domination to do list?

 

JANE Better. (holds it up) A little something I picked up from my little pow-wow with Ms. Li this morning. It’s a page from student personnel file 9731993A: Morgendorffer, Daria.

 

She hands it to Daria.

 

JANE From what Jodie said and from observations made yesterday they paint you as a half glass empty type.

 

DARIA What I want to know is who’s been drinking out of my glass. (pause) I’m possible trouble on the horizon?

 

JANE I am a bad influence on you.


DARIA Think she’ll miss this?

 

Jane hands Daria a lighter.

 

JANE One way to find out.

 

Daria lights it and they watch it burn.

 

JANE Wanna ditch this door to door gig and go back to my place and watch TV?

 

DARIA You are a bad influence on me. Let’s go.

 

SCENE: CONSPIRACY OF ONE (RANDY’S ROCK N’ PAWN)

 

Paranoid plays on the stereo.

 

Randy is sitting behind the counter of his pawn shop reading Muck N’ Rage magazine. A close up on the article reveals it’s about Mystik Spiral.

 

RANDY (short laugh) Losers.

 

Ms. Li walks in wearing a rock skank disguise and big sunglasses. Randy closes the blinds. Three punk teens are in a far corner of the shop looking at guitars.

 

RANDY (to the kids) All right now, every one out!

 

Ms. Li hides behind the rotating magazine rack and buries her face in a magazine so she isn’t seen when the kids have to pass her position.

 

RANDY Out or I call the cops on you shop lifting sons of bitches!

 

The grumbling kids file out. Randy goes to the door and locks it. He flips the sign to ‘CLOSED’.  Ms. Li comes out of hiding.

 

LI Have you changed the serial numbers?

 

RANDY Yeah.

 

LI Where is it?

 

He holds out his hand. She hands him a diploma of graduation from Lawndale High School.

 

RANDY At last. (to Li) Let’s go, it’s in the back.

 

Ms. Li runs off screen towards the back room.

 

RANDY Let’s be quick, you’re cutting into my business.

 

SCENE: SCHOOL DAZE (LHS INTERIOR)

 

LHS Halls. Daria is at her locker putting things in her book bag. Upchuck brushes past her with a smile plastered on his face. No words need to be exchanged. 

 

Daria locks her locker and stands around.

 

DARIA Where the hell is Jane?

 

SCENE: JUST THE GOOD OL’ BOYS (LAWNDALE JAIL)

 

Establishing shot: LPD headquarters is a single story police station/jail/impound sprawl situated between the suburbs and the city proper. In front of the station on display is a 1978 Dodge Saint Regis, plain white with a gold star on the side. Beside it is a black and white 1974 Dodge Monaco interceptor.

 

Inside: We see a congested office like space buzzing with activity. At a desk Ms. Li sits across from a rather lethargic police officer, Curtis Stelano. The brim of his hat is pulled down low so as to keep him and Li from making eye contact.

 

LI My- my school’s coffee shop has been vandalized.

 

STELANO I am aware.

 

LI Are you doing anything about it?

 

STELANO No ma’am.

 

LI And why not?

 

STELANO Because I work in admin.

 

LI (yells) That is no excuse!

 

STELANO Don’t take that tone with me.

 

LI I am a school administrator! I can-

 

The cop looks up and they lock eyes.

 

STELANO You sent me to detention.

 

LI What?! Why I never-

 

STELANO Tommy Sherman was on the warpath after our tie with Oak Wood. I pulled him off…off… (snaps his fingers) Trent Lane. You punished me for denting your star athlete.

 

He stands up with a malicious smile on his face. Ms. Li stammers and steps back. She whirls around and moves to another cop’s desk.

 

LI What are you doing about the coffee shop case?!

 

Our focus moves away from Ms. Li to Jane Lane who is being escorted by an older cop (CAMEO: JAMES BEST) back to the jail section of the station house.

 

PURVIS Hope you’re havin’ a good day Ms. Jane.

 

JANE The days I get to visit a relative in jail are always the best days officer Purvis.

 

PURIVS Ain’t it true! Gyuck! Gyuck!

 

Trent and the band are playing cards amongst themselves. They are all alone in the cell.

 

PURVIS No funny stuff. I’m watchinya.

 

Trent gets up and goes to the bars beside Jane.

 

JANE Scouts honor.  (to Trent) I was one for two weeks.

 

The cop leaves the scene.

 

TRENT Hey Janie.

 

JANE You okay Trent? Have they given you the baking soda treatment yet?

 

TRENT That’s what lunch was. (to the band) I think that really was baking soda.

 

NICK Told you!

 

JANE Sorry we couldn’t warn you last night.

 

TRENT I’m just glad you got away. Especially since my tags are expired.

 

JANE All the same I hate seeing you like this. This is my fault. I thought we could get money for the bills and now I need to spend it on bail.

 

TRENT It’s okay. (pause) You’re going to post the bail soon, right?

 

JANE That’s the thing- Upchuck swiped the gig money.

 

TRENT What’s an Upchuck?

 

JANE Exactly what he sounds like. Dammit. This has turned into some kind of bad Dukes of Hazzard episode.

 

MAX He-he. Dukes of Hazzard.

 

NICK Guess that makes me Cooter.

 

MAX (smacks Nick) You’re not cool enough to be Cooter dingus.

 

JESSE I’m Cooter.

 

JANE I’m really sorry Trent. (starts to tear up) I should have left you in bed.

 

TRENT Don’t do that. It wasn’t like we brought the alcohol to the party.

 

JANE No, I brought the adults.

 

TRENT You brought the band back together. Being in this cell has reminded us what the Spiral is all about.

 

JANE Bad food and squirt guns?

 

Trent laugh/coughs.

 

TRENT We got inspired in here. We wrote a bunch of lyrics.

 

JANE How do you plan to take ‘em with you?

 

We do a quick shot of the lyrics written on the walls.

 

TRENT Those where here when we got here. We wrote ours on Jesse’s back.

 

Jane leans against the bars. Trent squeezes her shoulder and she smiles.

 

JANE I wish I could make this up to you.

 

TRENT Just get our gig money back. Then we’ll be even.

 

JANE All right. Sans my usual ten percent.

 

TRENT You take ten percent?

 

JANE I’m feeling guilty today, so five. (looks around the cell) Shouldn’t that rent-a-cop be here too?

 

TRENT His mom posted bail.

 

PURVIS Hey get away from them bars!

 

Jane steps away from the bars.

 

JANE (to Jesse) Did he make a shiv out of a playing card?

 

JESSE I got bored!

 

MAX Now we don’t have a full deck! Great going!

TRENT It was five cards short when I bought it anyway. (to Jane) Is Curtis Stelano still out there?


JANE Who?

 

TRENT He used to play bass with me and Jesse before we got Nick.

 

JANE You had a cop in the band?

 

TRENT Hey, if we had known then what he is now we wouldn’t have let him jam.

 

JANE If you had known then what he is now and kept him we wouldn’t be here right now.

 

TRENT Hmm… Are you trying to say this is Nick’s fault?

 

JANE As long as it isn’t mine.

 

She wipes at her eye.

 

TRENT Hey, aren’t you supposed to be in school right now?

 

JANE Please don’t rat me out to Ms. Li, I swear I’ll shape up.

 

Trent laugh/coughs.

 

TRENT Thanks for coming to see us.

 

JANE What are managers for?


As Jane leaves Nick yells after them.

 

NICK Save us Daisy!

 

MAX Stay out of the trunk!

 

Officer Purvis in is waiting by the door out of the holding area. Jane holds out a twenty to him.

 

JANE For pizza. You can keep the change.

 

PURVIS Are you trying to bribe me with quarters?

 

JANE (produces a second twenty) For all of your hard work and dedication have a pie on me.

 

Officer Purvis takes the money and chuckles.

 

Making Me Sick plays us into the next scene.

 

SCENE: IMMIGRANTS (LAW OFFICES)

 

The Law Offices of Vitale, Davis, Horowitz, Schrecter, Schrecter and Schrecter.


We start on the wall clock, the face is about to tick down to five o’clock.

 

Helen has her briefcase organized and ready to go. Marianne treats the end of the day like it’s only ten a.m.

 

Five.

 

HELEN Oh well, maybe tomorrow they’ll have something for me. Let’s go Marianne.

 

Helen gets up to leave. As soon as she grabs the door knob there’s a knock. Helen opens the door and Eric is there.

 

ERIC Great news! I got you a case.

 

HELEN Really, that’s superb!

 

She lets him in. Artie trails behind him.

 

ARTIE Hi! I’m Artie!

 

Helen gingerly shakes his hand.

 

ERIC Mr. Arthur here, with a generous check from the television program Sick, Sad World wants to bring charges against Pizza King Enterprises of Lawndale, Terry Barry Barlow and Pizza Forest, Inc. for discrimination.

 

HELEN On what grounds?

 

ARTIE Those darn aliens!

 

ERIC I’ll leave you t your work.

 

Eric quickly leaves and shuts the door behind him.

 

HELEN Those places fired you and replaced you with foreign labor? Illegal or legal if you don’t mind my asking.

 

ARTIE Illegal of course! They where never invited here! But they come anyway and took all that was dear to me.

 

HELEN Speaking as a person and not your lawyer I don’t think it’s ever too wise to get attached to a job, at least in a way that it becomes your personality. Even if you are the one in the guitar playing bear.

 

ARTIE (cries) It was a banjo! And…the aliens! I was fired because of them! They took the skin right off my back! Now no one will keep me on, its discrimination against the abducted I tell you! Those aliens have left me unable to function in proper society and I want my comeuppance!

 

HELEN Ab- Wait. These aliens, do they travel by car, burro or moose?

 

ARTIE Well, it was a cone shaped craft…

 

Artie begins to ramble. Helen shakes her head.

 

HELEN Marianne, put on some coffee, will you?

 

We pan over to Marianne, who is on the phone. She gives a thumb up to Helen.

 

MARIANNE (into the phone) Charles, don’t stay out too late. Ten is still your curfew. (smiles) See you in the morning.


She hangs up and leaves the room to do the coffee.

 

ARTIE No coffee for me ma’am. It makes my skin sweat and I can’t sweat! (he quivers)

 

Booker-Loo plays us into the next scene.

 

SCENE: INCARCERATION (MORGENDORFFER INTERIOR)

 

Morgendorffer Living Room- dusk. Jake is seating on the couch reading a newspaper. Daria is on the love seat with a section of the paper, glancing over her shoulder at the window which looks into the street. Quinn is standing by the window waiting, decked out in her fine to do’s.

 

QUINN My date’s here! Oh Daria, would you say that’s the new Vouge Reige sport sedan?

 

DARIA More like a Crown Vic Sport.

 

QUINN Ugh!

 

DARIA Enjoy your date.

 

QUINN I don’t know if I should go now.

 

JAKE Wanna play Scrabble with me and Daria?

 

Daria smiles and goes back to pretending she’s reading the paper. Quinn runs out the front door.


DARIA And thus continues the reign of Quinn, Queen of the Littoral Daters.

 

Quinn and her date speed off in a silver 2005 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport, soon Trent’s car pulls up to the curb at the next house over. Daria stands up.


DARIA Hey Dad, how’s the Lexus?

 

JAKE The Lexus? Daria, that piece of crap in the driveway is not a Lexus. I’m not really sure what it is.

 

Daria pulls a small object from her coat pocket and holds it out to Jake. It’s the Lexus badge from the old car.

 

DARIA It could be a Lexus. Of course you’d have to let me out to make it one.

 

JAKE But you can’t- Oh I get it. Sure Daria, go out and tack that bad boy on. Take as long as you need, I’ll call you when it’s time to come in.

 

DARIA When Mom gets home?

 

Jake nods. Daria leaves through the front and Jake comes to the door behind her.

 

JAKE (loud) And think about what you did! This is part of your punishment and it’s hurting me far more than it hurts you!

 

He slams the door behind Daria. She makes a beeline to the idling Trentmobile.

 

JANE What was that all about?

 

DARIA Don’t ask. Got the glue gun?

 

Jane holds out the Stick-mata 5000.

 

JANE Stick-mata 5000. Finest adhesive delivery system on the market.

 

DARIA Let’s get this over with and be gone. I want to be done with this by ten.

 

JANE So does Upchuck I’m willing to bet.

 

We watch the Trentmobile speed off. Inside- Jane hands Daria a brick style radio.

 

DARIA Made good use of that charge card I see.

 

JANE If only Quinn’s limit matched Trent’s bail.

 

SCENE: THE RUTTHEIMER CONNECTION (LAWNDALE)

 

Daria and Jane in the Trentmobile at night. They’re driving through a residential neighborhood.

 

DARIA How’s the band doing?


JANE Well Jesse learned how to make his first shiv today and I have to say I was impressed. Max sends his regards and asks that we stay out of the trunk.

 

DARIA What was back there?

JANE Plushies.

 

DARIA Why would he have plushies in Trent’s car?

 

JANE Who would ever check for anything in here? Trent also says ‘hey’. Then he turned his head and coughed. I don’t mean it like that!


DARIA I believe you.

 

JANE You ever get tired of being smug?

 

DARIA Do you?

 

JANE Like I’d give a straight answer to that.

 

ADRIAN (on the brick) Nomad 1 this is Nomad 2.

 

DARIA Who the Hell is that?

 

JANE My nephew.

 

DARIA Um, Nomad 1.

 

COURTNEY (on the brick) Let me talk-

 

ADRIAN (on the brick) My turn-

 

COURTNEY (on the brick) Jane!

 

Jane takes the brick from Daria.

 

JANE Settle down or I tell your mom where you are.

 

ADRIAN (on the brick) Target has left the…house.

 

JANE (to Daria) It’s my own fault for letting them think we’re playing commando.

 

A ratty brown 1987 Volvo 780 cuts through the intersection in front of Daria and Jane.

 

JANE And it begins.

 

Jane cuts the headlights and trails Upchuck at a safe distance. Daria pulls a camera from the backseat and checks it for film.

 

JANE We should have brought a video camera to film this chase.

 

DARIA Incriminating evidence for later?

 

JANE So we can parlay it into a big budget actioner.

 

DARIA I wouldn’t exactly compare what we’re doing to the French Connection.

 

JANE Popeye Doyle you’re not.

 

DARIA How do you know I don’t like to wear women’s shoes? Don’t answer that.


 They follow him out of he neighborhood and onto a main street (4 lanes, two in each direction). Trent’s car begins to die.

 

JANE Oh sh- 1,2,3,4,5-

 

She slams her fist on the dash. The car starts up again but her high beams flash.

 

We cut to Upchuck in the Volvo; he’s wearing Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses (Tom Cruise in Risky Business). Bright high beams flash behind him. He looks into his rearview and sees the Plymouth. James Bond Theme plays up.

 

UPCHUCK His name is Ruttheimer, Charles Ruttheimer.

 

Upchuck stomps on the gas and the car speeds up.

 

DARIA Dammit.

 

JANE Don’t start bitching just yet.

 

Jane speeds up slightly, cutting back into the residential neighborhood. She takes a few hard turns and makes a lot of noise doing it. Then the car starts making noises.

 

JANE Not again! Hear me baby hold together!

 

DARIA Well this is a fine tour of Lawndale after dark!

 

She pounds on the dash twice and the car revives. She comes back out onto the main drag just as Upchuck rounds the corner before them.

 

Upchuck goes further out of town; the girls follow him through the suburbs and into the outskirts of town.

 

JANE I know where he’s going. Why I haven’t a clue.

 

DARIA Care to enlighten me.

 

JANE Lover’s Lane. It overlooks the old quarry.

 

DARIA What would he be doing… never mind.

 

Jane puts on the radio to low. Clown plays. They follow him further out beyond the city, through a forest road. Finally they come to Lover’s Lane; a paved break in the trees with several cars parked. Upchuck parks well beyond them, Daria and Jane turn on further down the road and pull off to the side.

 

DARIA I’ll go it alone.

 

JANE I’ll keep the car warm.

Jane reaches into the back and pulls out a pair of black fatigue pants and a Navy watch cap. Daria takes them and throws them on over what she already has on then takes the camera.

 

DARIA That’s it. I’m coming with you to the Army-Navy next time.

 

JANE Just remember if you’re caught you’ll be disavowed.

 

DARIA What else is new?

 

She shuts the door and disappears off into the woods.

A quick fade out and fade back into the car still sitting in the woods. Jane’s got the seat back and a foot resting on the steering wheel. Pennyroyal Tea is playing. Daria opens the passenger side door. She tosses the fatigues and watch cap in the back seat before getting in herself.

 

JANE How was the hunting?

 

DARIA Better than the planned ‘embarrassing underwear shot’ you proposed. Let’s go, he’s on the move.


Jane puts the car in gear and they turn back down the road they’d come in on.

 

The Passenger plays on the radio and into the next scene.

 

SCENE: NIGHTLIFE (LAWNDALE)

 

The Trentmobile is traveling through the more city part of Lawndale at a safe distance behind Upchuck.

 

DARIA My parents say I move like I’m 80 and the voices tell me I act 40 but all my documents  point to 16. I’m not sure which is right.

 

JANE We can discount the parents right off.

 

DARIA That’s a given.

 

JANE Of the other two can you forge a voice?

 

DARIA Good call.

 

Tokyo Vigilante #1 plays up.

 

Crewe Neck (Brittany’s gated community) at night. Upchuck drives up to the rent a cop coop, hands the man a wad of cash and drives through. We pull back a bit to see Daria watching this through binoculars in the Trent mobile. The camera is around her neck.

 

DARIA He’s spending our money.

 

JANE We’ll put it on the tab.

 

Jane opens the door and gets out.

 

JANE There’s only one way in.

 

Daria follows her out.

 

DARIA Jane…

 

JANE I’m gonna call on Evan. You’re going to trail Upchuck. I’ll give you three guesses where he’s at.

 

DARIA Jane you shouldn’t-

 

JANE Don’t try and talk me out of it Daria. This is what’s called taking one for the team. (hands Daria the car keys) Just in case.

 

They walk up to the rent a cop coop. We watch distantly without hearing the exchange. The girls are allowed to pass. Time passes and we see Daria walk out. She waits in the car. She fiddles with the radio until she finds a station playing Spoonful. She pulls out her harmonica and quietly plays along.

 

Upchuck slinks out with a paranoid step. Daria ducks. He gets into his car and leaves. Daria pops back up and pulls out a book.

 

Jane returns to the vehicle, a little rumpled looking. There’s a sock sticking out of her shorts pocket. Daria gets out of the car.

 

JANE It was horrible in there.

 

DARIA I can see. Is that sock yours?

 

JANE Rob Zombie movie bad.

 

DARIA Truly and utterly horrifying.

 

Jane takes shotgun, Daria stays standing.

 

DARIA I can’t drive.

 

JANE Don’t be intimidated by it Daria. It can sense your fear.

 

DARIA I don’t have a license.

 

Jane gets out.

 

JANE You’re the worst accomplice ever, you know that?

 

DARIA I find it hard to believe you’ve ever suckered anyone else into being your accomplice.


JANE Not for as little as twenty bucks.

 

Plush plays us into the next scene.

 

SCENE: 9 A.M. (LAW OFFICES)

 

The Law Offices of Vitale, Davis, Horowitz, Schrecter, Schrecter and Schrecter.

 

Helen is asleep with her head down on the desk. Marianne is also asleep at her desk but with a blanket over her and her head on a pillow. Artie is splayed out on the chair, head back and drool running to the floor.

 

Eric knocks. No one answers so he opens the door. Helen awakens and looks up. Eric is smiling and holding two coffee mugs. He sets one down in front of Helen.

 

ERIC It’s 9 o’clock. It’s time to go to work.

 

SCENE: DISCLOSURE (LHS INTERIOR)

 

A quick establishing exterior shot of LHS.

 

Love Delicatessen (intro) plays.

 

LHS halls. Upchuck is propositioning Burn Out Girl by her locker.

 

UPCHUCK So, know any good places to… you know, whatever.

 

BOG Bite me.

 

UPCHUCK Offer once more luscious lady, I might take you up!

 

She leaves. Daria and Jane come upon Upchuck. Daria is holding a manila folder.

 

UPCHUCK Ladies?

 

DARIA Do you have the money?

 

He holds out an envelope, showing them a glimpse of the cash.

 

JANE It better all be there.

 

UPCHUCK Would I lie to a lady?


DARIA Amongst other things.

 

UPCHUCK Now… the goods?

 

He steps over to his locker and opens it for some cover. Daria opens up the manila folder. She hands Upchuck a picture. He looks at it quizzically.

 

UPCHUCK Is this some kind of joke?

 

DARIA It’s my credentials as a photographer.

 

We see the picture Upchuck is looking at- It’s of Beavis & Butt-Head tied up in the trunk of a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. She hands him three more pictures. One shows Upchuck in his window being naughty; the other two are of him taking pictures of people at Lover’s Lane.

 

DARIA I had to use the wide angle to get you, Brittany and whoever she was with.

 

UPCHUCK Sam Stack, Oakwood’s quarterback. Cute. Now who’s the voyeur?

 

Daria hands him another picture with no comment. It’s one of him watching Brittany undress at home.

 

Upchuck growls then looks around nervously. Daria and Jane smirk.

 

DARIA You asked for some compromising Polaroids, here they are.

 

UPCHUCK (plays it cool) So what? I’m peeping. Everyone knows I peep.

 

DARIA But does Kevin Thompson, Quarterback of the Lawndale Lions and Brittany’s boyfriend know you’re peeping on his girlfriend? Of course I can just take this back and mail it out to him. Give you time to work up some lame excuse before he tears you apart.

 

JANE He’ll probably let the entire varsity football team join in.

UPCHUCK It’s…are these…

 

DARIA These are the only copies in our possession. Now our money Upchuck.

 

Upchuck hands Daria the envelope. Jane feels it in her hands.

 

JANE Feels light Charles.

 

Upchuck gives them the content of his wallet.

 

JANE Now for an additional fee we might be convinced to hand over the negatives.

 

UPCHUCK What do you want?

 

JANE Your car.

 

UPCHUCK The Love-mobile?!

 

DARIA It’ll be for the good of all mankind. Keys please.

 

Upchuck, trembling, removes the keys from his pocket and hands them to Daria.

 

JANE We’ll pick up the title after school. Good doing business with you.

 

UPCHUCK(smooth) Well… same to you Ms. Lane. Anything we can do together is a pleasure.

 

The girls walk off and speak again once out of Upchuck’s hearing.

 

DARIA Good thing we already mailed those pictures to Kevin.

 

JANE Yeah, hey- Dammit Daria!

 

DARIA What?

 

JANE You just tricked me into doing a public service!

 

DARIA But Upchuck might end up in a full body cast.

 

JANE (smiles) Thanks. For a moment there I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to live with myself.

 

The scene plays out with Love Delicatessen.

 

SCENE: INTO THE SUNSET (LAWNDALE)

 

Glen Oak Lane at 4 PM. We see Daria and Jane (with backpacks) going down the sidewalk.

 

JANE Hell of a day.

 

DARIA Won’t be sorry to see it end.

 

JANE The money I made selling Upchuck’s car back to him is going to pay for a month of mortgage. Hopefully mom or dad will be home by then.

 

DARIA Too bad mine won’t go away like that.

 

They stop in front of Daria’s house, the ‘Lexus’ is in the driveway.

 

DARIA Since they’re in want to come in and scare my parents?

 

JANE I’d love to but I need to bail out Trent. I’ll give him your regards.

 

Jane starts to walk.

 

DARIA Where do you think you’re going?

 

JANE To get Trent, like I said.

 

DARIA (holds out her hand) My twenty dollars please.

 

JANE (forks over a twenty) I’m not going to screw you. Since I’ve met you you’ve gotten back at everyone who’s crossed you

 

DARIA Almost everyone. A problem I’ll soon rectify.

 

JANE You know this could be the beginning of something.

 

DARIA Or the end of the world.

 

JANE Damn. Just when it was getting good too.

 

DARIA Later.

 

JANE Adios.

 

We watch Jane continue down the street until she’s gone. Daria shuts the door behind her. The scene fades out.

 

SCENE: THE GRAND FINALE (LAWNDALE)

 

Morgendorffer doorstep. We are looking at the door. Twin shadows fall over the door and the doorbell rings. Jake answers it.

 

BUTT-HEAD (voice only) Uh-huh-huh. Is your daughter home? Uh-huh-huh.

 

BEAVIS (voice only) Yeah! He-he-m-he-he. Like, wait’ll she gets a load of me. He-he.

 

JAKE (yelling up the stairs) Quinn, your dates are here!

 

BUTT-HEAD (voice only) Uh-huh-huh. Load.

 

BEAVIS (voice only) He-he. Can we watch your TV?

 

Black.

 

Sink the Bismark plays over the credits.

 

After the credits end we get to see an alternate ending.

 

ALTERNATE ENDING

 

A sterile hospital room. Daria is strapped into the bed with tubes running into her. Two doctors in white coats are looking her over.

 

DR. DAVIDSON What’s the deal here?

 

DR. PHILLIPS She was in a car crash awhile back. Hasn’t been right since. She started following around (looks at his clipboard) Trent Lane and kept talking to and about someone named Jane.

 

DR. DAVIDSON There is no Jane?

 

DR. PHILLIPS Exactly. She passed out on the sidewalk in front of her house one day. Been here ever since.

 

DR. DAVIDSON Have you considered moving her?

 

DR. PHILLIPS If only so I could fool around with some of the more beautiful comatose patients.

 

DR. DAVIDSON Superb!

 

They high five each other and we fade to black.

 

Original Prankster plays us out.

 

Highland. Beavis and Butt-Head are standing in front of Daria’s house. Daria and Stewart’s mom are visible. Beavis picks his nose.

 

BEAVIS Um…

BUTT-HEAD Uh…

 

DARIA (murmurs) I believe the line is ‘He. He. Mmm. He. He.’

 

BEAVIS Uh… (singing) Stewart’s mom has got it goin’ on! Daria can’t you see you’re just not the chick for me. I’m in love with Stewart’s mom.

 

Laughter. Fade to black for the last time.


THE END

 

This motion picture was filmed live on location in Anacortes, Mount Vernon and Oak Harbor, WA. Right here in America, the land of the Chrysler 440 cubic inch engine!

 

Story is ©2005 NapalmKracken. Daria, Beavis & Butt-Head and all related characters and properties are pimped by MTV who in turn is a dirty whore for Viacom.

 

TRAILER FOR DARIA II: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

 

Daria’s room. We watch Daria and Jane watch Celebrity Deathmatch.

 

JOHNNY (On TV) I’m Johnny Gomez!

 

NICK (on TV) And I’m Nick Diamond!

 

They fade into background noise as the girls talk among themselves.

 

DARIA Too bad MTV never made this into a movie.

 

JANE It seems like they never make movies from good shows. It’s always something like Joe’s Apartment.


DARIA Or the road flick with those two morons.

 

JANE Or the one about that girl with glasses.

 

DARIA Is she the one who developed an annoying Holden Caulfield complex in the last season?

 

JANE Holden Caulfield… Dostoyevsky; Crime & Punishment right?

 

Daria shakes her head.

 

DARIA II

 

COMING SOON. OR LATER. BETTER YET LET’S JUST LEAVE IT LOOSE.

 

PRODUCTION NOTES

Originally this entire script was written in chronological order with the exception of “Just the Good Ol’ Boys”, and the Law Office scenes. Those were written after I finished the story to fill in the ‘dead air’ between and around the two nights. (NOTE: I hate dead air.) Originally “School Dazed” had a bland three line exchange between Daria and Upchuck. It was removed and turned into the lead in for “Just the Good Ol’ Boys” now read here. The other three scenes where meant to explain Helen’s absence in a bit more detail and to introduce Artie.

Later there was a rearrangement of scenes so all car scenes near the end where one continuous night as opposed to two separate ones.

 

 

While written as a ‘live action’ script I did not have any real life actors in mind as I wrote this story. Just real life interpretations running through my mind as I wrote stuff.

 

I tried to keep the characters as ‘in character’ as possible but honestly with Jane I often had Bill Murray reciting her lines in my head (unintentionally) and to a lesser extent, John Belushi.

 

Jane did all her own stunt work.

 

Of the two girls Daria is still my favorite.

 

Are you really still reading this?

 

Thanks for your time.

 

-The Management