1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

Chapter 11- Aftermath

(Scene is at the Morgendorffer's--15 minutes later)

Darren's car pulled into the driveway, and Darren and Daria got out of the car. Daria looked over at her brother, who seemed very quiet--and who could blame him after what just happened? Both came up to the door. Before Daria was about to take out her keys, she stared at her brother for a moment, and spoke.

DARIA: (Sounding unsure:) Um, are you sure you're okay, Darren? You haven't said two words since we got back from the Zen.

DARREN: (Looks at Daria with no expression, shrugs:) Ah, I'm fine, sis--(pauses:) I'm just a little--shocked Jane would do that, that's all. I was just thinking about nothing.

DARIA: (Stares at him, thought v.o.: Uh-huh, right--well, I guess you want to keep your thoughts to yourself, bro--too bad I can't.:) What Jane did was a shock to both of us, bro. I still can't believe she actually did that.

DARREN: I'm--sure she did it to protect me from that Rocco guy, and it actually worked--he didn't fight me.

DARIA: (Frowns:) But you knew martial arts! Jane didn't have to do that--and in front of Tom!

DARREN: (Ponders for a moment, then looks at Daria curiously:) You said to me while you were angry in the car on the way back here that Tom wasn't due to arrive back until Monday, so Jane didn't know that he was there, having not seen him yet. (Pauses:) Did you tell Jane I knew martial arts all those times you were on the phone with her while she was on vacation?

Daria's face turned pale, and her mouth opened slightly in shock.

DARIA: (Puts her hand on the side of her face, small gasp:) Oh, hell--I guess I didn't because at the time, I thought it wasn't all that important that you laid out Quinn's "admirers". I did tell her that Quinn was "boy-less", but I forgot to mention how it came about. I was planning to do so while we were watching TV, eating pizza, and looking at Sick, Sad World earlier today, but the episode was so damn good--

DARREN: (Chuckles:) --You got carried away in the moment. (Grows quiet:) Hey, it's okay, sis--really, I'm--fine. (Hesitates:) Do--do you think everything will be okay with her and Tom? He looked at what had happened and took off, at least that's what you told me after you saw him come in--

DARIA: --And Jane went after him when I told her. I gotta tell you, bro--he looked like Jane ripped a piece of his heart away. (Darren looks a little troubled at this) Trent was supposed to take her to his place right after what happened. Tom got into his car and left before Jane could stop him, so Trent offered to take her.

DARREN: (Looks uneasily at Daria:) I just hope nothing bad comes from all of this. From what you told me, those two seemed to fit well together.

DARIA: (Ponders:) I don't know what's gonna happen, Darren--but I hope you don't feel guilty over this. If anything, this is Jane's--and to a certain extent--Tom's, and to an even lesser extent, my fault. (Darren cocks an eyebrow, while Daria looks down guiltily:) You're right, I didn't tell her about your knowing martial arts--

DARREN: (Gently cuts her off, absentmindedly puts his hands lightly on both of Daria's shoulders, reassuring her, an act that makes her flinch, then relax a little:) --Hold it right there. Okay, so maybe you feel a little guilty of forgetting something to tell your best friend--but don't blame yourself, sis--what happened, happened. How could you have known that something like this would occur? Leave it at that. (Turns to door:) Let's go inside.

DARIA: (Turns to the door also:) Um--okay. (Pauses:) What will we say if mom and dad, and even Quinn, ask us about tonight? (Looks up directly at Darren:) Should we say anything?

DARREN: (Takes a deep breath, looks down sideways at Daria:) Well, I don't plan on saying anything. You?

DARIA: (Shrugs her shoulders:) Nah, I guess not--no need to hear our family give their sterling opinions. (Unlocks door and both go in)

Jake was sleeping on the right couch in the living room with the TV on and Helen was sitting on the center one looking over some work for Monday when they saw Daria and Darren walk in. Helen got up and came up to the both of them with a smile on her face.

HELEN: Well, you two are back, I see. How did Trent and Mystik Spiral perform?

DARIA: (Deadpan:) As well as could be expected--meaning that no fruits, vegetables, or beer bottles were thrown at them, so I suppose it was okay.

HELEN: Darren, did you enjoy yourself?

DARREN: (Turns a little red-faced over Helen's innocuous remark:) Yes--er--I did. Though it was a little--loud, I--had a good time. (Looks at watch:) Wow, it's late--think I'll turn in. Goodnight, everyone.

HELEN: (Cocks a curious eyebrow:) Late? It's only ten--(pauses when she sees Darren "yawning":) well, if you really feel tired son, we'll see you tomorrow morning. Goodnight. (Watches Darren leave up the stairs)

Daria watched Darren go up the stairs like Helen did, then turned back to her mother.

DARIA: Where's Quinn? (Pauses, smirks:) Don't tell me she's back in the "love-em-and-leave-em" business? Big Bro's little "skirmish" with Joey, Jeffy, and Jamie has now lost its fearsome luster in the eyes of the Quinn-crazy boy's club?

HELEN: (Glares at Daria:) Very funny, Daria--she's in bed--I think being with the Fashion Club wore her out.

DARIA: (Deadpan:) You don't say. (Pauses:) You know, in my opinion, the Fashion Club wore out something in our home the first time I saw them here.

HELEN: (Arched eyebrow:) Oh? What?

DARIA: Their welcome.

HELEN: (Rolls her eyes:) Daria--

DARIA: (Snaps her fingers, gets a faux look of concern on her face, cuts Helen off:) --Damn! I knew I forgot something! Mom, could I borrow your SUV and drive over to Jane's? I just remembered that I left, uh--my favorite writing pen over at her house when I went there with Darren earlier today. I can't write anything in my "diary" without it. (Pauses at Helen for effect:) It's really important that I get it from her--it won't take long, okay?

HELEN: (Hesitant:) Well, Daria--I suppose if you really need your er--"favorite" writing pen--

DARIA: (Makes haste, grabs Helen's keys:) --Thanks, Mom. (Leaves before Helen can say another word, slams door)

Darren went into his room, shut his door, and immediately leaned on his back against it, still stunned over what Jane had done. He slowly bowed his head, closed his eyes, and began to think.

DARREN: (Thought v.o.: Why didn't I try to resist that kiss? Why? She did it so fast before I could do anything, but still--I don't need to dwell on this!) (He begins to undress himself for bed, notices his dresser mirror then slowly walks up to it, sees a tiny amount of Jane's lipstick on his lower lip, which was not noticeable to Daria and Helen, and puts his right index and middle finger on it, stares at the mirror)

Daria got into Helen's SUV, started it up, and pulled out into the street. She had a deep frown on her face as she began to drive to the Lane's.

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: Okay, Jane--seeing Tom's given you an out for the moment, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give you one. What in the hell were you thinking?)

About two minutes later, the red SUV pulled in front of the Lane's and Daria got out, leaving the SUV parked on the street. She went up to the front door, and knocked. Amanda Lane opened the door.

AMANDA: (Surprised, talks in her soothed-over voice:) Daria! This is a surprise!

DARIA: (Deadpan:) Tell me about it. (Pauses:) Is Jane here yet?

AMANDA: Oh no, not yet, dear. She and Trent are still out. (Pauses:) I do hope nothing's wrong. I thought Jane would come with you and your brother.

DARIA: Well, um--something came up, Mrs. Lane, and Jane er, opted to go with Trent in the "Tank" to take care of it. Would it be all right if I waited for her here until she comes in? I really need to talk to her.

AMANDA: Of course, Daria--come in. (Lets Daria in, and leads her into the living room couch where they sit down) Oh, I meant to tell you that I wanted to meet your brother and thank him for saving my daughter's life. Jane left me a note and told me what he had done. I found it when I came back from the pottery seminar while you all were at Trent and his group's little show.

DARIA: (Thought v.o.: How charming. Following your little "bonding session" with Jane, you found out by a note that you didn't lose your daughter to death because you were at some dumb seminar--way to go, Mrs. Lane:) Uh, yeah, I see. Well, me and my family are kind of um, proud of him too.

AMANDA: (In her soothing tone:) Oh, I'm sure you all are, Daria. That reminds me of a story about a large, but gentle butterfly--(Daria groans to herself, for she certainly doesn't want to hear this)

(Scene is in the Tank, about 10 minutes later)

Trent had taken Jane to Tom's right after what had happened in the Zen, by which he and Jesse had seen the kissing scene right when it had happened. Needless to say, both were stunned when they saw it. While Trent was taking Jane over to Tom's, he asked her why she had done such a thing, and all she would say is that she was protecting Darren from Rocco because she thought Rocco was going to beat the hell out of Darren--and it had actually worked, for Rocco did back off. Trent asked if he should wait for her when he dropped her off at Tom's, and she had said no--she wanted to talk to Tom alone. Trent had then went back to the Zen to pick up the other members of Mystik Spiral and took them home--Daria and Darren had already left. He was on his way back to Tom's when he saw Jane waiting out in front of Tom's for him. She had a unreadable look on her face, and her arms were crossed. Trent pulled up beside her, and happened to glance at Tom's window. A light, which had been on with a silhouette that was presumably Tom's against the door's window, suddenly turned off. Jane got into the Tank quietly. She simply stared forward, saying nothing. Trent looked at her for a moment, then drove on.

TRENT: (Glances sideways at Jane:) Janey--you okay?

JANE: (Still stares forward with that unreadable look on her face, talking in a neutral tone:) Yeah, I guess.

TRENT: So, uh--how long had you been waiting for me?

JANE: (Still looks forward, speaks in the same tone:) I'd just gotten out there before you came, about a minute. Tom said he'd watch out for me until you'd come.

TRENT: (Pauses, talks in a quiet tone:) Janey, if you want to talk about what happened with Tom--

JANE: (Gives a quick, annoyed glance at Trent:) No. (Looks forward again:) I just want to sit here and think, bro--okay?

TRENT: (After a second:) Uh, sure, Janey--whatever you want.

For the rest of the ride, not another word was said.

(Scene is back at the Lane's, about 10 minutes later)

Daria, after enduring Mrs. Lane's soothing and annoying "butterfly stories", had called her mother and said that she was waiting for Jane to arrive with Trent. Helen, who had assumed that Jane rode back with Darren and Daria, asked Daria why didn't she say anything earlier when Daria was at home with her. Daria then said that Trent had to help Jane with something important, (certainly not a lie) and that Jane and Trent would be a little late coming in. Daria added that she had thought they'd be there by now. After a pause, and Mrs. Lane assuring Helen that Daria was perfectly all right being there in the Lane household, did Helen say it was fine for Daria to wait for Jane. Mrs. Lane then told Daria that she was going to bed, and for Daria to let in Trent and Jane. Daria sighed in relief as she saw Mrs. Lane go upstairs, for Daria could at least have a little peace while waiting to talk to Jane--and thinking about what exactly she would say when she saw her best friend. Deep in thought, Daria bent down to rub Zachary and Taylor as they came up to her in the living room.

The Tank turned into the driveway of the Lane's about the same time, and both Lane siblings saw Helen's SUV out front.

TRENT: Whoa--isn't that Mrs. M's SUV? What's it doing here?

JANE: (Narrows her eyes:) I don't think Mrs. Morgendorffer was the one that drove it, Trent.

TRENT: (Raises an eyebrow:) You mean--

JANE: (While getting out:) --Yeah, Daria did. She's probably waiting for me. (Walks with Trent up to the front door, then stops:) Look, Trent, could you leave me and Daria alone to talk? Please?

TRENT: Sure, Janey--no problem.

Daria had heard the Tank come into the driveway and went to open the front door. She decided to try and not look angry at her best friend, because Daria suspected that Jane may have had a tough time talking to Tom--no need to pile on Jane's feelings. Daria, however, was also determined to find out why Jane had done such a thing to Darren. Daria took a deep breath and opened the door before Trent could knock on it. All three of them looked at each other a little awkwardly, then Trent spoke.

TRENT: Uh--hey, Daria.

DARIA: Hey, Trent.

JANE: (In a quiet tone, sounding sheepish:) Yo.

DARIA: (Tries to sound civil, keeps her expressionless face:) Jane. (Lets both in, follows them into the living room)

TRENT: (Faux stretch and yawn--something shocking for Trent to do, by the way:) Man, I'm beat. I'll see you guys tomorrow. (Begins to go upstairs, followed by Zachary and Taylor)

DARIA: (Smirks:) Afternoon or night? (Jane gives a hopeful look to her friend--maybe the talk won't be as bad as it was with Tom because Daria gave her usual sarcastic remark--one could only hope, right?)

TRENT: (Chuckles, then coughs:) Good one, Daria. G'night. (Goes up stairs)

DARIA: Goodnight, Trent.

JANE: Goodnight, bro--thanks for picking me up from Tom's. (Watches Trent go out of sight up the stairs)

DARIA: (Now gives her full attention to Jane, tries to not sound angry:) You forgot to thank him for taking you there in the first place right after Tom had seen what you did to Darren.

JANE: (Sighs, resigned to her fate, now goes into the living room to sit down on the couch, followed by Daria:) Yeah, yeah--I screwed up big time, okay? (Pauses:) Lemme have it. (Sits down on the couch with Daria, shuts her eyes, cringes to wait for the onslaught)

DARIA: (Sighs herself after seeing Jane cringe:) At ease, private. (Jane cautiously opens one eye to look at Daria) First things first. Some of what happened tonight was my fault because I should have told you that my bro was proficient in the martial arts--you didn't have to er--"protect" him against Rocco.

JANE: (Stunned, rolls her eyes:) Oh, great--fantastic--wonderful. (Pauses:) Now I even feel worse for making myself look like an idiot. (Looks at Daria uneasily:) Um--how's Darren?

DARIA: (Narrows her eyes:) Still in shock, I believe--you saw yourself when you finished your little lip-lock. He was completely stunned and red-faced. (Ponders:) When I think about it now, you were the same way.

JANE: (Blushes furiously, takes a defensive tone:) Uh--actually, I really didn't see his face--hey, I couldn't believe what I had done either, you know! I owed Darren for saving my life, and I thought that by kissing him, making it look--(hesitates:) um--"convincing", Rocco would think that I was Darren's girlfriend, that Rocco would leave him alone, and--

DARIA: (Cuts her off:) --It worked. Yeah, yeah, I know all about that--I was there too--remember?

JANE: (In an off-handed way, shrugs:) Besides, you let it slip out on the way to the Zen that Darren had a girlfriend. It's not like she'd be jealous or anything, because he's no longer with her, right? (Daria looks away, now uncomfortable) (Jane arches an eyebrow at Daria's reaction, becomes a little concerned:) Right?

DARIA: Jane, I'll tell you about the "girlfriend thing" later. (Pauses:) First, tell me about your talk with Tom. Are you guys back together?

Jane paused for a moment, expressionless, then spoke.

JANE: (In a neutral, but dramatic tone:) Daria, it's over between me and Tom. Finished. Kaput.

DARIA: (Looks at Jane, mouth slightly agape:) Oh, boy--what happened?

JANE: (Looks down, still sounding neutral:) Well, Trent had just dropped me off at Tom's, and Tom had just parked in front of where he lived, and had gotten out. Tom slammed the door when he walked in his pad, and I came up to the door--

(Flashback--at Tom's)

JANE: (Pounds on Tom's door, frantic:) Damn it, Tom--open up!

TRENT: (From the Tank, leans through the passenger side, shouts:) Janey, do you want me to come in there with you, and--

JANE: (Turns towards her brother, frowns, shouts:) No, Trent--you go back to the Zen and take the rest of the guys back home--I want to talk to Tom alone, all right? Don't wait here for me--(sees Trent hesitant:) geez, I'm okay, okay? Go already! See if Daria and--(pauses for a second:) Darren are still there when you get back--come back for me after you take the rest of the band home, all right? (Turns back to the door, while a still-unsure Trent slowly drives away, eyeing Jane) Tom, you might as well damn know I'm not leaving this door!

There was a pause, then the door slowly opened. Tom stood there, frowning.

TOM: (Sounding cold and quiet:) Come in, Jane. (Jane walks by him, gives him a slightly sheepish glance. She stands in the middle of Tom's living room as he shuts the door and gives a cool stare at her with his arms crossed) Okay, you're in here, now--I guess the next thing you can do is give me some sort of an explanation as to why I came into the Zen and found you trying to examine Daria's brother's tonsils with your tounge. (Jane takes a deep breath, then begins to talk)

JANE: (Present v.o.:) I told him about how Darren saved my life, what led up to the uh, "incident", and how I felt that I had to owe Darren by "protecting" him from Rocco when Darren was confronted. Like you said Daria, I didn't know Darren knew martial arts when I did what I did.

DARIA: (Present v.o.:) And what did Tom say after you told him all of this?

JANE: (Present v.o., sounding unsure:) Well--he got really quiet for a bit and said nothing. I guess he was taking in all what I said. I simply stood there, watching him, saying nothing, but for some reason, I didn't feel like I was in the wrong here. (Daria gives her an ever-so-slight incredulous look that Jane doesn't seem to notice:) Anyway, after about a minute, he spoke, and said--

TOM: I see. (Pauses:) And you felt like you were "protecting" him.

JANE: That's what I said. Rocco looked at us for a moment, shocked, probably feeling foolish, then turned to his girlfriend, who promptly walked off, feeling PO'd. Rocco went after her, trying to apologize.

TOM: Um-hmm. (Pauses, then adds:) And how did Darren react to what you did?

JANE: (Looks at Tom, sounding unsure:) I--really didn't look at him directly, Tom. I was kind of--stunned about what I did. I thought I saw Daria looking at me, but she was looking past me to you with a horrified look on her face--at least what passes as horrified for Daria, and I turned and saw you leaving. (Present: Daria rolls her eyes, and Jane shrugs)

TOM: (Gives a skeptical look, nodding slowly:) Yeah--and then you came after me with Trent after I left you.

JANE: (Cocks her eyebrow:) I'm here, aren't I? (Pauses, narrows her eyes:) You're saying you don't believe me, Tom?

TOM: (Frowns:) No--actually, I do. It's just that, for some reason, I felt that you liked kissing Darren--he did save your life--maybe you felt like you "owed" him far more than a simple "thank-you"--?

JANE: (Now becomes angry, frowns, stunned:) What in the hell are you implying, Tom?

TOM: (Cold tone:) I don't know, Jane--why don't you tell me? It's really not that difficult to do, you know--just move your mouth and say the words.

JANE: (Walks up to Tom with a fierce scowl:) Now just wait one damn minute! Are you saying that I liked that kiss?

TOM: (Cooly:) You grabbed his head and wrapped your arms around his neck, French-kissing him, Jane! What am I supposed to think? (Gets a pained look on his face:) How could you do that to me?

JANE: (Now enraged:) How could I--? How could you leave on your vacation with your friends, let me find out on your now-fixed answering machine that you're not going to be here when I get back from my vacation--and this after you had practically begged me to give you another chance! (Adds:) Why in the hell did you think I was jogging this morning so soon after my mom and I had gotten back? I couldn't sleep well because I was thinking about what I was going to say to you when you got back, so I figured a jog could help clear my head!

TOM: (Narrows his eyes:) It seems to me that your jog "clouded" your head more instead of clearing it.

JANE: (Raised eyebrows:) And just what in the hell is THAT supposed to mean?

TOM: Jane, you jogged across the unstable landfill--

JANE: (Cuts him off:) --Which I've done hundreds of times, do go on--

TOM: --and you nearly died. (Pauses:) Maybe if you had been thinking more clearly, you wouldn't have fallen into that sinkhole in the first place. I thought I told you to stay away from the landfill when you jogged by there. (Jane looks stunned over Tom's admonishment, especially the "thought" and "told" part) Then, your kissing Darren. Tell me if that is someone who is thinking clearly.

JANE: (Present v.o., sounding shaky:) Daria, I tell you, I was so angry I could've screamed, and I was this close (narrows her index finger and thumb close together:) to smacking Tom. (Daria looks stunned, while Jane regains her composure:) Anyway--

JANE: (Furious:) T-there you go, again, Tom--telling me what to do! Thinking for me--and not one freaking word about my being okay, like, "Thank God you didn't die, Jane!" (Pauses:) Okay, maybe you did have a point on my not thinking clearly--but, hell, Tom--I had you on my mind at the time, and where'd we go from here on our relationship. (Pauses:) Can you really blame me for being like that? (Tom now looks speechless, then tries to say something, but Jane holds up her hand to cut him off:) Hold it. You obviously didn't think that much of me, Tom--or you would have been relieved that I was okay.

TOM: (Now, stunned and angry:) Damn it, Jane, I do care for you! I've always cared for you from that first moment I saw you in the Zen! I needed to take that vacation with my friends to clear my mind--

JANE: (Now turns the tables:) --Which seemed to cloud your head even more by saying something insensitive as berating me over falling into the damn sinkhole! Tom, I could've died! (Jane looks as if she could cry, something rare for her)

TOM: (Becomes quiet:) Jane--look, I'm sorry. It's just that I was so angry--

JANE: (Cuts Tom off again, turns from him, holds herself, speaks in a low tone of voice:) --What were you going to say, Tom?

TOM: (Confused a bit:) What? Say what?

JANE: (Turns to him, sounding louder:) What were you going to say to me when you came back from vacationing with your friends?

TOM: (Looking unsure:) That--well--uh--we should try it again.

JANE: (Arched eyebrow:) --And--?

TOM: And--what?

JANE: (Rolls her eyes:) Geez, Tom--you went with your friends to "clear" your head to figure out what to say to me, and then you simply come back and say that "We should try it again"?

TOM: (Shrugs:) It was the best I could come up with, Jane! There really was nothing else I could say, okay?

JANE: (Shakes her head slowly, looking sad:) How about something like, "I have feelings for you, Jane", or, "We've gone through too much together, Jane, don't leave me"? (Pauses, grows quiet:) I--I know you care for me, Tom--(walks up to him, puts her hand gently on his face, looks up at him:) and I still care for you, too--just not in the way I used to. (Tom is about to say something, but Jane gently puts her middle and index finger on his mouth:) Shush. Tom--over the past few months, we've seemed to--slowly drift apart. The argument we had over my painting of you in front of Daria only seemed to confirm that drifting. (Turns slowly away, looks down:) We used to understand each other, but now, because of that drifting, we're so far apart, it's like we've reached a point of no return--like--like there's nothing there anymore, that it seems so--so--empty. (Looks back at Tom:) Don't tell me that you haven't felt the same thing that I have recently.

TOM: (Tries to speak, but struggles to get out his words, beginning to look pained:) I--I--i-it's--really over between us, isn't it?

JANE: (Looks down, with the same pained look:) Yeah--yeah, it is. Damn.

TOM: (Looking sad, talks low:) No way we can get past this--?

JANE: (Slowly shakes her head:) Over the great void that's come between us? Nuh-uh--I can't see any way to bridge it.

After a long moment, Tom reluctantly went over to Jane, and hugged her. Resistant at first, Jane slowly hugged him back, and her quiet tears began to flow freely, crying silently in Tom's shoulder. After a minute, both backed away and looked at each other. Tom spoke, trying to control his emotions.

TOM: I--I'll always be there for you, Jane--you can talk to me anytime.

JANE: (While wiping her eyes:) Y-yeah, I know, Tom--a-and I'll always be there for you.

TOM: (Pauses:) Jane?

JANE: Yeah?

TOM: (Hesitates, smiles:) I'm kind of--curious, I've got to ask--did you like--

(Back to the present)

Jane caught herself, frowning slightly. Daria looked at her inquisitively.

JANE: (Now changes her tone:) Anyway, Tom offered to give me a ride home, but I told him that Trent was coming back to pick me up. Tom then offered me to wait with in his place with him for Trent, but, well, I told Tom I needed to get out and get some fresh air--privately, I needed to get away from him before I lost it again--I think he knew that in a way, and seemed kind of relieved himself. He said he'd watch out for me from his window until Trent came back to pick me up, which he did, and here I am.

DARIA: (In her usual flat tone, still hiding her shock:) So that's it. It's really over between you two.

JANE: (Shrugs:) Pretty much so, but we're still gonna be friends--though I think for a while, we'll probably not be around each other--the memories of being together are a little too fresh on our minds.

DARIA: (Looks into space, in a rare reflective tone for her:) "It is better to have loved and lost, than not to have loved at all."--Tennyson. (Jane looks at Daria, curiously) From Mr.O'Neill's class, Jane, remember? After Tommy Sherman's death? (Jane then slowly nods, remembering) Er--may I ask you a personal question?

JANE: (Smirks:) You're about to ask me if I ever loved Tom, right?

DARIA: (Blushes slightly, looks away:) Well, um--

JANE: (Takes a deep breath:) I--had some strong feelings for him at one time, Daria--if you don't mind, I'd--kind of like to leave it at that, okay?

DARIA: Um--sure.

JANE: Ooookay. (Pauses:) So, does this mean that I'm off the hook?

DARIA: (Ponders, looks directly at Jane:) Provided that you answer one more question.

JANE: (Looks at Daria hesitantly:) Er--proceed.

DARIA: (Looks for words:) Did you--um, well, like that kiss that you gave to my brother? You didn't quite finish what Tom had said at the end of the conversation between you two.

Jane blushed furiously, her eyes were slightly wide open, and her mouth was trying to form cohesive words. Daria stared at her best friend expressionlessly, then knowingly nodded slowly.

DARIA: (Realizes:) Oh, my God--you did like it.

JANE: (Tries to cover herself frantically:) NO! I-I did it to help Darren! I just met your brother this morning! How could I--(pauses, regains her composure:) I didn't feel anything--(then sheepishly adds:) at all.

DARIA: (Cocks an eyebrow:) You sure about that, Lane?

JANE: (Narrows her eyes:) W-what do you mean, Daria?

DARIA: (Sighs:) Jane, I saw how you were behaving around Darren after he had saved you--all the signs. I tried to contribute it to your being friendly to him for saving your life, but then I saw that you were--well--being a tad too friendly talking to him and such. (Jane frowns slightly at Daria) Hey, you were pretty gregarious to him at just about every opprtunity, hooking your arm with his--don't deny it--and just, well--(pauses, sees Jane's look of confusion:) look, maybe you weren't aware that you were like that to him, you know--?

JANE: (Now looks stunned beyond words:) Daria, Darren and I are just--friends! (Pauses:) You--think--that I--like your brother?

DARIA: (Looks for words:) Well--uh--hey, what's not to like about him? He's nice, maybe a little too nice for his own good, he's honest, and he's well--ah--

JANE: (Smirks:) --Handsome?

DARIA: (Blushes, frowns a bit:) Hey, I don't have insects!

JANE: (Now with a perplexed frown:) Huh?

DARIA: (Shakes her head, with her eyes closed:) Never mind--an--inside joke I share with Quinn. (Thought v.o.: And I never thought I'd share anything with Quinn except the same last name--and even that's something she tries to use against me with the 'ol "cousin" thing.)

JANE: (Trying to sound nonchalant, shrugs:) Yeeeah. Hey, Darren's--cool, okay? Nothing more, nothing less. (Blushes again, thought v.o.: He's just a friend, just a friend, just a fr--damn!)

DARIA: (Stares at Jane quietly for an instant, looking for any sort of emotional sign of betrayal:) Okay, then. (Gets up with Jane:) Well, it's late. I guess I'd better go to that insane asylum that I call home. I'll be seeing you--

JANE: --Not so fast. (Pauses:) Um--you told me something about the "girlfriend thing" with Darren? You know, about the one he "had"? Methinks you guys are hiding something about that, am I right?

DARIA: (Looks surprised, then arches an eyebrow:) What's the big deal about the "girlfriend thing"? (Realizes:) Are you telling me--?

JANE: (Again tries to cover herself, waves Daria off:) No ! Daria, c'mon--I'm just--curious about it, that's all. After all, I don't want there to be any misunderstanding between Darren and his girlfriend over this--(then adds as an afterthought:) if he still has one--?

DARIA: (Looks uncomfortable:) Um, Jane--I don't know if I should say anything about that now. It's really personal with Darren.

JANE: (Rolls her eyes:) Geez, Daria--I just poured my heart out to you over what happened with Tom, and you can't even tell me about the "girlfriend thing" with Darren? (Snorts:) It's not like she died or anything, and he's trying to get over her death, right? (Daria turns slightly pale, and Jane looks stunned) Aw, hell, tell me that's not it--?

DARIA: (Gives out a long sigh:) You have an uncanny sense of stumbling over things, "Partner In Crime", you know that? (Pauses:) I'll tell you what happened, (narrows her eyes at Jane:) but you've got to promise that you won't say anything to Darren unless he says something to you about it first, got it?

JANE: Okay--sure, I promise. (Sits back down on the couch with Daria, who reluctantly begins to explain)

(Scene changes to Gerald Woo's office, the conference room, Los Angeles, the same time)

Gerald Woo sat at the head of the table with David on one side, and another one of Woo's employees, a thin, but tall African-American man with a crew-cut and a trimmed black mustache, sitting across from David. There were several files that were scattered on the table, as well as some empty cartons of Chinese food, and some empty soda cans. Woo let out a small burp, got up, and began to slowly pace around the table with his hands behind his back, all the while talking.

WOO: Okay, let's go over this again--following my talk with Leonard Potter this morning, I discovered that William Appleton had sent Potter out here to get Potter out of the way so William Appleton could make all of the Appleton conglomerate's business decisions free and clear of Potter's so-called "legal interference", even putting in Appleton's own man for the new legal head--

DAVID: (Cuts in, nods his head:) --And while doing so, you discovered from Potter that William Appleton had started to have something of an attitude change following a stockholder's meeting last year in the Florida Keys--

MAN: (Now cuts in on David:) --Because William Appleton knew something that only a few other people knew of on his brother Arthur Appleton Sr. and Lucille Appleton from that meeting, (looks over at Woo:) at least that's what Woo believes, and it may have something to do with the murder of Darren Appleton's parents--

WOO: (Takes it up from man:) --It's a stretch, Leroy, I admit. When Darren Appleton first called me to talk about finding his birth parents, he mentioned in passing the meeting in which his aunt found out from her sister-in-law about Darren being adopted. Darren also pointed out that his uncle said that Darren's father told William about the adoption at the same meeting as well--

DAVID: --Which was kind of strange because Arthur Sr. couldn't figure out why William was suddenly behaving in an odd way following that meeting. If Arthur Sr. had told William about the adoption while there, there would be no need for William to behave in the way that he did, with all of the "hints" William was giving out--

LEROY: (Eyebrow cocked, looks between the others:) --Conclusion--?

WOO: That maybe William Appleton wasn't told by his brother, rather William had overheard Millie and Lucille Appleton talking--

DAVID: --And heard that he had a nephew that was adopted. (Pauses:) If that's the case, then why didn't William try to simply blackmail Arthur Sr. and Lucille, telling them he knew Darren was adopted? You know, like a cash payoff, or something?

WOO: Compare the two David--the control of the conglomerate, and all that corporate power verses giving out "little" payments of "hush" money? There is no comparison. The only missing piece here is that William Appleton was not next in line to get the Chairmanship--Darren was.

LEROY: But William wasn't sure that he was next in power at the time because only Potter was the executor of the business will, and only he, Arthur Sr., and Lucille Appleton knew of who would next be in power. (Pauses:) But since William Appleton and Potter hated each other, a possible collusion between the two over who was next in power after the Appletons died was probably out of the question.

WOO: (Nods his head quickly:) Yes, Leroy--I certainly don't think Potter had anything to do with this. The key is this Sanchez fellow. Someone--possibly William Appleton, or someone working with Appleton, had to hire Sanchez to do this. We can't prove anything because the motive is still weak, having no possible connection as of yet. Darren Appleton chose William Appleton to head the conglomerate. Unless we find Sanchez--we can't do much, and taking this information to the police would only serve to alert whoever did hire Sanchez, and probably move them to silence him. (Looks around to both men with an urgent look on his face:) Find Sanchez, gentleman, but try to keep it as low-key as possible--no need to bring attention to what we're doing.

DAVID: (Hesitant:) Woo, what about Darren Appleton? You told him of what you found, and for him to keep all of this to himself until we found Sanchez. Do you think he might be in danger?

WOO: Not at the moment. Darren Appleton is relatively safe where he is--with his birth family in Lawndale. If anything changes, I'll contact him immediately, but remember, I want to hold off saying that his uncle is on my list of suspects until we can find Sanchez and see what he knows--no need to tip William Appleton off if Darren Appleton confronted him over this, and we turned out to be wrong--could you imagine the mess that would occur if that happened? Now, while his uncle does know where Darren is, I don't think he'll go after him because Darren's not interfering with William Appleton's running of the company--that and the fact that William Appleton doesn't know that Darren's hired us to investigate what happened to cause the crash outside of the NTSB's official investigation. If William Appleton knew that, I'd shudder to think what he'd do if he found out that his nephew was behind our hiring, particularly if that William Appleton was indeed the culprit. (Pauses, looks down at the table, shuffles the files and papers:) Now, if there's not anything else--

At that moment, the door buzzer sounded at the front door. Woo, Leroy, and David looked at each other inquisitively, and Woo went out to answer it. He came up to the glass door, seeing a man with a red goatee wearing small, dark, sunglasses, a white tee-shirt, a red cap, black slacks, and white tennis shoes balancing a small box of pizza on his shoulder. The man, also chewing gum, was looking through the glass door back at Woo, who opened the door for the man.

WOO: (Cocks an eyebrow:) Yes?

MAN: Pizza delivery for a--(pulls out a receipt with his free hand, looks down at it:) fellow named "Whu". (Looks at Woo, smirks:) You Whu?

WOO: (Glances down at the man's receipt, rolls his eyes:) You've just made a lame rhyme there, fellow--most amusing. My name is Woo, but the name on your receipt is misspelled. My name is spelled W-O-O, not W-H-U, and I did not order a pizza.

MAN: (Looks stunned, pauses:) Uh, you sure?

WOO: I am quite positive, sir.

MAN: (Looks around, unsure:) Oh, man--they must've wrote down the wrong name when the person called. Geez, this is my first day on the job, and I don't want to go back to my boss and tell him I couldn't deliver a hot and gooey pizza. What should I do? (David and Leroy walk in the lobby from the conference room at this time)

WOO: I am sorry, but there's nothing that I can do. Perhaps--

DAVID: (Walks up to Woo and the man:) --Hey, what kind of pizza is that?

MAN: Huh? Oh, pepperoni and cheese. (Looks a little distraught:) Man, I wish I could get rid of this pizza--guess I'll have to call my boss--(begins to turn away)

DAVID: (Motions the man in:) I'll take it. I'm still hungary, anyway. (The man walks in, smiles, while David digs into his pocket:) How much?

MAN: $9.00, sir. (David pulls out his wallet:) I really appreciate, this, sir. (The man takes the pizza to David, while Leroy goes up beside Woo, and both are rolling their eyes)

LEROY: Man, I still can't believe you're hungary after all that Chinese food!

WOO: (Smirks:) I guess the old saying holds true--and I'm not saying that because I'm Chinese. (Looks at Leroy:) Come on and help me clean up the conference room. (Both go back)

David gave his money (plus a generous tip) to the man, and took the pizza, which David put on Carla's desk. While David opened the box to savour the smell of the pizza, thus turning his back from the man, the man quickly, but quietly, pulled out something from his pocket, and slipped it under Carla's desk, beneath the front lip. David took out a slice and began to eat it while the man waved at him, smiling, and left. David went to the door, and locked it back.

The man gave a quick glance back at Woo's office, and seeing no one watching him, walked unto the next street, and got into a small, white sportscar. He took off his cap to reveal his red hair--yes, it was the same man who had been outside Potter's office and had seen Woo come out of it. He pulled out a cell phone, and dialed some numbers. The sound of ringing could be heard from the other end, and then it stopped.

MAN: It was successful, Mr. Lodell. The bug I planted is sensitive enough to pick up a fly buzzing in there from 500 feet away. (Pauses:) Yessir, it looks like they're closing up shop tonight, but I can listen in on them when they come in Monday morning. (Pauses:) Right, yessir--what's that? You want me to come by here Sunday morning? Yessir, I can do that--(starts up his car, and drives off while still talking on the phone)

(Scene is back at the Lanes, the same time)

Daria had just finished telling Jane about Stephanie Reardon. Jane simply slumped back in the couch, taking in all Daria had said, and then shook her head slowly in disbelief. This boy had hell-upon-hell put on him, all in the span of a little over two months.

DARIA: (Gets up from the couch with Jane, goes to the front door with her:) --And with that, I'll take my leave. (Pauses, hesitates:) Um--you sure you're going to be all right, Jane?

JANE: (Arches an eyebrow:) Hey, why shouldn't I be, Daria? After what you just told me, if anything, it's Darren who we should be worried about. I'll be--fine.

DARIA: (Shrugs:) Okay. See you tomorrow?

JANE: No sweat--I'll call you. (Opens door, Daria goes out:) Later.

Jane shut the door and leaned back against it, sighing. She slowly put her index and middle finger on her mouth, and stared forward into space, thinking.

JANE: (Thought v.o.: Well, at least I don't have to worry about Darren having a girlfriend, or in his case, a fiancee get the wrong idea about my kissing him--poor guy.) (Pauses, thought v.o.: Problem is, was it the wrong idea? Did I like that kiss? Damn it--why can't I answer those two questions?) (Turns off downstairs light, goes upstairs to her room)

Daria was deep in thought while driving back home. What had happened earlier tonight was obviously still on her mind--she couldn't help but wonder if what Jane had done somehow was the final catalyst that drove her and Tom apart once and for all. Was it really over between them both? Should she talk to Tom herself to make absolutely sure if it was over? Daria closed her eyes and shook her head quickly--damned if she was going to get involved in this anymore--Jane and Tom were on their own. Daria then began to think about her brother, who had said, even insisted, that he was okay with what Jane had done--he said that Jane thought she was only "protecting" him from Rocco. Daria sighed to herself. Could Darren really just shake off all of what had happened? She felt sure that Jane was hiding more about that kiss than Jane wanted her to know about--was Darren doing possibly the same thing?

The SUV drove up into the driveway of the Morgendorffer home, and Daria got out after turning off the headlights. A light was still on in the living room, and Daria groaned to herself. She had hoped that no one was up and that she could slip up quietly to her room, but it was now obvious that that little thought had gone out of the window--too bad she couldn't sneak into one of the filed-off bar ones to her room to escape detection. Oh well--just give whoever it is a little sarcasm, and they'd leave her be. Daria quickly made a mental note to herself to give an excuse for not having the "lucky pen" if her mother was the one who met her in the living room. Her dad? Please. She unlocked the door and went in.

When she entered the living room, she was surprised to see Darren, who had put down the book he was reading, and get up off the couch to meet her. He was wearing his pajamas and housecoat, and he looked--concerned?

DARIA: (Raised eyebrows:) Darren? What are you doing up? I thought you were gone to bed--?

DARREN: I--couldn't sleep, so I got up to read my book. I came downstairs to make some warm milk, and came across Helen, who was about to follow Jake to bed. I told her I couldn't rest, and she asked if I could wait up for you when you got back from (looks at Daria pointedly, then emphasizes the name:) Jane's, so, of course I said yes.

DARIA: (Sighs:) Okay, yeah--I went over to Jane's, and before you ask, she's fine. Unfortunately, her relationship with Tom is--well, over. (Darren looks shocked)

DARREN: (Talks in a quiet tone, closes his eyes:) Oh, God. (Looks down guiltily, has a pained look on his face, sounding sarcastic:) This is just great. Another thing on my mind to worry about. (Sighs heavily, looks away)

Before she had even realized it, Daria had walked up to her brother and gently put her hand on his chest, now with a concerned look on her face, looking up at him, trying to reassure him. Darren looked down at her, slightly startled by her action. Daria became wide-eyed for a moment, shocked at what she had done, and backed off quickly, red-faced. She immediately recovered, and spoke.

DARIA: Darren, we've gone over this--you had nothing to do with Jane and Tom breaking up. Don't feel guilty, okay? This apparently had been building up for awhile--even I was shocked over Jane telling me that she and Tom's relationship had deteriorated steadily over the last few months.

DARREN: (Looking surprised:) Really? (Pauses, cocks an eyebrow:) But it certainly didn't help their relationship concerning with what happened tonight, you've got to admit that, Daria.

DARIA: True, but you're still not at fault here, bro. (Looks at Darren, who seems to be now looking off into space:) Darren?

DARREN: (Snaps out of his stare:) Eh? Oh, I'm just thinking about what's going to happen the next time Jane and I meet, presumably tomorrow.

DARIA: (Pauses to consider her next few words, then proceeds:) Darren, I want to ask you a question right out of the blue. Is that okay with you?

DARREN: (Looks at Daria uneasily for a moment:) Sure, I guess--what?

DARIA: Did you--did you like Jane's kiss?

Darren's eyes widened for a second, then he turned red-faced. He stared at Daria for moment more, then spoke.

DARREN: (Looks uncomfortable, searches for words he can believe himself:) O--of course not, sis--I mean, that's--well--(chuckles uneasily:) crazy! Sure, it was a kiss--but, well--she's your best friend! I couldn't possibly bring myself to do anything with Jane! (Thought v.o.: Could I? NO! That's ridiculous--isn't it? I mean, sure, Daria kind of likes Jane's brother Trent--I think, but that's different--right?)

DARIA: (Stares at her brother for a moment to look for any sort of emotional betrayal, cocks an eyebrow, smirks:) Hey, all I asked was whether or not you liked Jane's kiss, not if you could have a relationship with her--you didn't have to go the extra mile, bro.

DARREN: (Narrows his eyes playfully at Daria, somewhat relieved:) Heh--amusing, sis--very amusing. (Quickly changes his tone:) So, ah--well, since you're here now, I'll turn in--I'm pretty tired for real this time. (Starts to go upstairs:) Goodnight.

DARIA: (Follows Darren up the stairs, clicks off the living room light:) I'm coming behind you, bro--goodnight. (Thought v.o.: Crap--damn it--I'm sure they're both hiding their feelings about that kiss--what in the hell is gonna happen tomorrow, I wonder? If something is there between them, how would I respond to it?) (Goes out of sight upstairs behind Darren)

The next morning, Darren had gotten out of bed, stretching with his barbells in a red sweatsuit. Jake wasn't there this time--Darren had suddenly remembered that Daria said the night before that she had heard Helen and Jake talk in Darren's room while he was gone jogging yesterday morning. More than likely, Helen had caught Jake sleeping in Darren's bed once again, and had admonished him for sitting there and watching over him. Darren chuckled to himself over visualizing that particular scene for a moment, finished stretching, then went quietly downstairs, and then outside.

As he began jogging in the morning light, he thought about the dream he had last night--of he and Stephanie kissing passionately in a kaleidoscope of wild colors and lights--and when he had opened his eyes after the kiss, it was Jane's face he saw. Whoa--get over that, Darren--she's just a friend--your sister's best friend. On top of that, she's just had a break-up with Tom. So what if she's attractive, and is fun to be around with, has those luscious lips, grayish-blue eyes, and--and--WHAT IN THE WORLD AM I THINKING? After taking a quick, deep breath to clear that thought from his mind, Darren kept jogging, slightly changing his route, (he had three of them to help himself get to know all of Lawndale) and this time, he took the route that came from the Morgendorffer's, around and behind Cranberry Commons Mall, past the "Big Strawberry" (the so-called roadside tourist attraction), past what Jake called "The Speed Trap", Lawndale High (where he then turned around to go back), and then back to the Morgendorffer's by way of the small central business area, Dega Street.

Darren frowned to himself for an instant when he started his jog back--it had just occurred to him that this route was the farthest from the Lane's residence. Did he subconsciously and deliberately do that to avoid meeting Jane, who he suspected was probably jogging this morning, too? Maybe--maybe not. Darren had thought about what to say when he met Jane today--he stepped up the jog, considered for a second, and decided to go with a standard reply--do not let Jane feel guilty if possible--she had enough things on her mind, just as he did on his.

Jane was well into her jog when she started to think about Darren. She, too, had had a dream about him, only it was a bit more--erotic. She had dreamed of bathing in a waterfall (with her swimsuit on, mind you) on one of those tropical islands when she saw Darren come out from behind the waterfall, (in his swimming trunks, mind you) and they started to kiss while standing in the waterfall--deeply kissed. Jane thought about her hands feeling his hard, wet, muscles and chest--his thick, wavy, wet, reddish-brown hair--his handsome, wet, face--his--his--DAMN! Get a grip, Lane! What-in-the-hell-is-the-matter WITH you? Why did you kiss Darren like that? Are you really and completely over Tom to now just think about Darren that fast? Jane tried to tell herself it was because she owed Darren for saving her life yesterday morning, and that she had thought that bastard Rocco was going to beat the hell out of Darren last night in the Zen. Jane kept telling herself that reason over and over again--yeah, that's it--had to be it. Nothing else, girl. He's Daria's (and I suppose Quinn's) Big Bro--remember that. Yeah, you've tried to get your Big Bro to be with your "Partner In Crime", but that's different. Darren's still trying to get over his fiancee's death. Me? I'm trying to put Tom behind me--you're not ready for another relationship. He wouldn't be ready for you anyw--damn it, there you go again! Jane tried to erase the thoughts from her mind as she continued to jog.

Jane's jog had started from the Lane's, past the abandoned quarry, through the "Crewe Neck" neighborhood, and High Hills Park. She turned and started towards a street that ran back towards Dega Street--near the small central area of Lawndale. She wondered what would happened when she would see Darren today--what would she say--and him?

Jane wouldn't have to wait long to find out. Both she and Darren were deep in jogging and thinking when they literally ran into each other around the corner of a building near Dega Street. Jane was about to fall backwards from the collision when an alert Darren reached out and grabbed around her lower back, keeping her from falling, and inadvertently pulling her into his arms. Jane found herself leaning against Darren, with her hands on his chest. Both looked in each other's eyes for a second, wide-eyed and surprised, their blushing faces only inches from one another, sweating and breathing hard from jogging (Or perhaps something else? Don't go there!). Darren then slowly let Jane go, backing away from her slightly, and speaking first.

DARREN: (Looks for words:) Are--you okay, Jane? I, ah--

JANE: (Gently cuts him off:) --Oh, I'm fine--I should've been watching where I was, um, going, Darren. (Blushes again:) Uh, are you okay?

DARREN: Er, yes, I am. (Chuckles uneasily:) It was my fault. I should've seen where I was going.

JANE: (Herself chuckling uneasily, then smirks:) Well, er--how about if we both just take the blame, okay?

DARREN: (Smiles:) Seems fair. (Pauses, looks for something to talk about:) So--how long have you been jogging this morning? I've been out for an hour.

JANE: Oh, let's see--(looks up, ponders:) um, about 45 minutes. I was heading back home.

DARREN: Same here.

Jane and Darren looked at each other uncomfortably. Darren was about to say something when Jane spoke out.

JANE: (Blushes, looks away, speaks quietly:) I'm--sorry about last night, Darren. I had no right--

DARREN: (Hesitant, then decides to go into his planned statement for when he met Jane today:) --Look, Jane--you were only trying to protect me from that "Rocco" guy, okay? Daria told me last night that she forgot to tell you about me knowing some martial arts, and you didn't know, so don't worry about it--(shrugs:) I'm not. (Thought v.o.: More lies.)

JANE: (Looks at Darren for an instant, then smirks:) Nice "speech" there, Darren. (Darren looks surprised) I guess you went through a hell of a lot of preparation to get it down pat, so I guess I shouldn't disappoint you by accepting your "comforting words of understanding". (Pauses:) Okay, so I didn't know about the "martial arts thing"--that was still no excuse to do what I did. I--

DARREN: (Cuts her off, in an assuring tone:) --Tell me, Jane--what would've happened if you hadn't done what you did? Think about it for a moment.

JANE: (Ponders, shrugs:) Isn't it obvious? You and Rocco would've gotten into a fight, (sighs:) and I would've seen you in "action"--

DARREN: --And possibly draw everyone else into the fray, maybe you, Trent, Jesse, and a whole host of other people, and we may have ended up with a full-scale brawl, and someone could've gotten hurt--or worse. Instead, you--(pauses:) kissed me, and Rocco backed off. There was no harm done, and no one got hurt.

JANE: (In a quiet tone, looks down:) Save for Tom. (Darren looks grim, forgetting that "little" detail, and Jane notices his reaction:) Hey, now it's my turn to make a planned speech. You didn't do anything, Darren--I did. (Pauses:) Did Daria tell you that I talked to Tom after he saw us?

DARREN: She didn't go into any great detail about it, but she said that you two weren't seeing each other anymore. (Pauses:) Look, I think I know what you're going to say, but for some reason, I still feel awful about the whole thing--I really do. Tom seemed to be a nice guy.

JANE: He was--is. It's just that he and I started to go downhill in our relationship. (Starts to walk toward the business district, and Darren walks beside her:) We had a long talk last night, and decided to end it on good terms.

DARREN: (Looks contrite, talks in a quiet voice:) I'm--sorry, Jane. I kind of--understand how it is to--lose someone that really meant a lot to you. (Stares forward blankly, sighs)

Jane stopped in her tracks, and Darren stopped beside her, looking at her curiously. She turned to him, staring up at Darren for a moment, then spoke in her own quiet voice.

JANE: (Hesitates:) Darren, please don't get angry with Daria over what I'm about to say, but she told me last night about Stephanie Reardon. (Darren looks at Jane with no expression) Daria made me promise not to say anything to you unless you said something to me about it first, and in a way, I suppose that you just did. (Darren then smiles weakly) God, I'm so sorry for your loss. At least Tom and I are still friends, and he's said that he'll be there for me, and I'd be there for him. Your loss was far greater than mine.

Darren stared down at Jane, took a deep breath, and spoke.

DARREN: It's okay, Jane--I won't get angry at my sister for telling you about Stephanie. I suppose that you would've found out about it sooner or later, I guess. (Pauses:) I know I have to get on with my life--Stephanie would've wanted me to. (Looks up grimly, clenched teeth:) I'm just--I'm just trying to figure out how to go on without her. (Looks back down at Jane:) Being here with my birth family is helping me do that--(hesitates:) that and talking to--you about it. (Now it's Jane's turn to smile weakly) (Changes subject, grins:) I don't know about you, but I'm famished. You want something for breakfast? My treat.

JANE: (Smirks:) How can I refuse that offer? (Pauses:) What about Daria and her family? Won't they be kind of worried if they don't see you come back on time? (Starts walking with Darren)

DARREN: No--Daria said that they all sleep late on Sunday mornings--I've seen that first hand since I've been here. Besides, I'll call them after I've eaten breakfast with you. Choose the place you want.

JANE: (Ponders:) How about Do Me A Donut? It's a couple of blocks from here. They've got a mean ham and cheese omelet.

(Note to reader: I believe this was the name of a cafe/restaurant where Daria and Jane met in the episode "Monster"--you know, the one where Daria imitated Quinn by saying something like, "Which is my best side, I know they both look good", and embarassed herself in front of Trent?)

DARREN: Yes, I've been in there before once since I've been here. Do Me A Donut it is, then. (Both go down the street)

(Fast forward to "Do Me A Donut", a little later)

Darren and Jane were sitting in a booth beside a row of glass windows and talking casually, while the cafe was about half-full of patrons. The plates that had the ham and cheese omelets and sausages on them were long gone by now. Both had half-full glasses of orange juice on the table in front of them, and Jane was talking about Daria.

JANE: --And Daria in the end said, (in a "Daria-type" voice:) "Never mind glasses. You can see things that other people can't. You can see better than other people. So to hell with them and what they think of you and your glasses." So she went back to her glasses.

(Note to reader: This, of course, was said near the end of the episode "Through A Lens Darkly")

DARREN: So Daria had worn contact lenses for a day, and then went back to her glasses--but the real point here was that it didn't matter either way because Daria is just Daria with or without her glasses--it's what's on the inside that counts, and not what people on the outside may think.

JANE: (Before finishing up her glass of orange juice:) Yep--that pretty much sums it up, hombre.

DARREN: (Arches an eyebrow:) Any idea what she did with them? You know--maybe kept them as some sort of momento or something, (smirks:) reminding her that it's okay to be human?

JANE: (Shrugs, smirks:) I don't know. After that day, she never said anything about them again. I know she drives without them--she and Quinn came to bail me and Mystik Spiral out of jail for crossing the center line in Fremont. (Note to reader: See "Speedtrapped") (Pauses:) You know about that little "episode", Darren?

DARREN: (Chuckles:) Actually, I do. Quinn told me about it sometime last week. (Smirks:) You weren't drunk, were you?

JANE: (Rolls her eyes, smirks:) Oh, that's funny--maybe you're not such a stick-in-the-mud guy after all. (Darren chuckles) Nah--just that a backwoods deputy got lucky that day, and we happened to help fill his quota, that's all. (Pauses:) It seems Quinn loves to see we outcasts get "ours". (Grins sinisterly:) I really laughed when I heard from Daria about your saying that Quinn was your "cousin" to the Fashion Club, and not Daria. Boy, I bet that really rubbed Quinn the wrong way, huh?

DARREN: (Gives a heavy sigh:) And I assumed that Daria told you how I felt afterwards?

JANE: (Snorts:) Just because Quinn threw a "temper tantrum"? C'mon, Darren--the only thing you did wrong was feeling bad about it--Daria's right--you're too nice. (Darren cocks a quick eyebrow at that remark) It's about time that Quinn got a piece of her own medicine--God knows how she's done Daria after all of these years. Maybe Quinn will finally learn that she's no better than anyone else.

DARREN: (Narrows his eyes:) Jane, she's my sister. Though I can't condone all Quinn has done, she is trying to take her future seriously now with going to the Fashion Institute--

JANE: --Only because you beat the crap out of Joey, Jeffrey, and Jamie, which led them to spread the word about you, and that kept the other boys away from Quinn, which in turn took her mind off of them, and more towards her studies--at least that's what Daria said to me over the phone. (Snorts:) As if anyone who knows Quinn can actually believe that.

DARREN: (Cocks an eyebrow:) --And you don't--?

JANE: (Shrugs:) Let's just say that I'm gonna need some "convincing", Darren--look, Daria deserves to have a sister that should look up to her, and not down on her because of the way Daria acts and looks. (Pauses, hesitates:) Daria told me over the phone while I was on vacation that you said you were proud to be her brother. I could tell over the phone that your saying that really got to her, because she sounded--well, in a "Daria-style" emotional tone of voice--and believe me, I can tell--happy. (Darren frowns slightly, deep in thought, then gives a quiet smile) (Jane then smirks:) Of course if you repeat anything I just said about her to her, I'll deny it, and then hunt you down, and kill you--(winks:) union rules, you understand.

DARREN: (Chuckles:) Don't worry, Jane--mum's the word. (Looks at his watch as an afterthought, and his eyes go wide:) Oooboy-- We've been here for almost two hours! I'd better call and tell everyone I'm fine. I'll be back. (Slips out of the booth to a payphone on the side wall)

Jane watched Darren go to the phone, and put her elbows on the booth table, looking around at nothing in particular. This "little" talk with Darren about her and Daria's "adventures" in Lawndale had actually gone well--both she and Darren were getting past the kissing incident, feeling less uncomfortable around each other, though Jane still found herself occasionally staring at Darren when she thought he didn't notice her doing so--Jane couldn't be sure, but she also felt Darren staring at her when she wasn't looking, either. She glanced down on the booth table and noticed the tip that Darren had left for the waitress sticking out from under the napkin holder on the side nearest the glass window, and cocked an inquisitive eyebrow at the amount.

In the meantime, Darren had contacted the Morgendorffers, and Daria, who was dressed in her Mark Twain pullover nightshirt, and eating some cereal while writing on her notepad, had answered the phone in the kitchen.

VOICE OF DARREN: Hey, it's me, Daria--I just wanted to call and say I was okay. I didn't mean for the time to slip by without notifying you guys.

DARIA: It's okay. Mom and dad are still in the sack, and as you know, Quinn doesn't come out of her beauty coma until the crack of noon on Sundays. (Pauses:) Where are you?

DARREN: I'm--with Jane. We had breakfast together and we're now just talking here at the Do Me A Donut cafe. I sort of--"ran" into her while jogging.

DARIA: (After recovering from her intial shock of hearing her brother saying he was with Jane:) I--see. (Lowers her voice:) So, um--have you two kind of--well--

DARREN: (Sounding slightly irritated:) --We talked about what happened last night, if that's what you're asking, and it's passed. (Pauses:) Jane's pretty--er, I mean, pretty good at--conversing. We talked about general stuff, and the time just flew by.

DARIA: (Not totally convinced:) Umm--yeah. So, when will you be returning so I can tell our genetically-shared parents when they wake up, and not to sick the tracking dogs on you, bro?

DARREN: Maybe about 30 minutes or so, Daria--I'll see you then. (Hangs up)

Darren went back to the booth to Jane, and remained standing.

DARREN: (Looks down at Jane:) Everything's okay, Jane--I don't have to worry about Jake "scouring" the streets for me. You ready to go?

JANE: (While getting up:) Ready and rarin'. (Looks at tip, motions her head at it:) Uh, $20 is a lot of money to leave as a tip for a meal that costs about $12, don't you think?

DARREN: (Eyes slightly wide, looks for words, tries to feign surprise:) $20? (Reaches to get the tip, replaces it with $5 from his pouch while Jane slides out:) Whew--er, thanks for noticing that, Jane--I guess I was so into our talk, I didn't see it. (Thought v.o.: Old habits die hard--stupid, Darren.)

JANE: (Shrugs:) No sweat. (Goes with Darren to the cashier, then leaves with him)

About 15 minutes later, Darren and Jane came up to the Lane's front porch. Jane went to the door, and looked up at Darren.

JANE: Well, thanks for escorting me back here, Darren. (Pauses:) Um--you want to come in? (Darren slightly raises an eyebrow, which Jane adds quickly:) My mom told me when I left this morning that she wanted to meet and thank you for saving my life. It won't take but a few minutes.

DARREN: (Shrugs, privately relieved for some reason:) Sure.

Both came into the living room, where Mrs. Lane happened to walk by. She stopped, stared at Darren, and cocked an eyebrow.

JANE: Mom, this is Darren Coverton, Daria's brother, and the guy that saved my life yesterday morning.

DARREN: (Reaches out to shake her hand:) How do you do, Mrs. Lane.

Amanda Lane simply stared at this very handsome young man, her mouth slightly agape. Darren looked at his outstretched hand, Amanda Lane, and then over at Jane a little uneasily, having seen this before. Jane looked at her mother and couldn't help but put her hand over mouth and surpress a laugh. Amanda cast a quick, rare glare at her daughter before regaining her composure and shook Darren's hand, smiling.

AMANDA: (Slightly red-faced:) Oh my--I'm sorry for my reaction, Darren--Jane didn't tell me you were so handsome.

DARREN: (Now himself slightly red-faced:) Uh--thanks, Mrs. Lane, it's quite all right--believe me, I've had the same reactions from other women as well.

JANE: (Smirks with a raised eyebrow:) Oh, are we flattering ourselves, Darren? (Thought v.o.: I can attest to the "reactions" thing.)

AMANDA: (Gives her soothing, but surprised scolding voice, scowling a little at Jane:) Jane!

DARREN: (Laughs:) Hardly, Jane. I'm merely stating a fact. (Sighs:) Believe me when I say that "looking good" isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It can get on one's nerves after a while.

JANE: (Chuckles:) You mind telling your sister Quinn that?

AMANDA: Now Jane dear, that's enough. (Looks at Darren sincerely:) I wish to thank you, Darren, for saving my daughter's life. If there's anything me or my family can ever do for you, please don't hesitate to ask. (Looks at Jane:) I've tried to contact your father, Jane, but I haven't located him yet, or Wind, Summer, and Penny.

JANE: (Mutters under her breath, rolls her eyes:) So what else is new?

DARREN: (Catches a little of Jane's bitter-sounding words:) Well, uh, thanks, Mrs. Lane--but that's okay. Your daughter and I have had breakfast and a long talk before we came back here--(looks at Jane, gives a quick smile:) just knowing I was there to help her out when she fell in that sinkhole is more than enough for me. (Jane shows a quiet smile, gives Darren a grateful look)

AMANDA: (Smiles quietly, suddenly realizes something, then gasps in her soothing voice, puts her fingers on her mouth:) Oh, Jane! Does Tom know about what Darren did for you? (Jane and Darren look at each other a little uncomfortably) I meant to tell you that he called here last night just when I came in, and I remembered that Trent told us when he picked us up from the airport that Trent and his band was going to play at that "Zen" place later that same night. I told Tom that you were probably there--he said that he would try to go down and see you. (Jane and Darren look red-faced) (Pauses:) I then saw the note you left me that said that Darren had saved your life. (Sighs:) I just wished that I could've told Tom about that. Did you see Tom at the Zen?

JANE: (Sounding quiet while Darren looks away:) Um, Mom--yeah, I--saw him--uh--I want to talk to you about that a little later, okay?

AMANDA: (Waves her off, not noticing the way Jane spoke:) Very well, dear--but please do it as quickly as possible. I have to go to an "Art In Pottery" show in Bannonburg in about two hours, and I won't be back until very late tonight. (Jane sighs in an exasperated manner while Darren gives her a sympathetic look) It was wonderful meeting you, Darren. Jane, I'm going to take a shower. (Leaves to go upstairs)

DARREN: Same here, Mrs. Lane. (Watches her leave, looks back to Jane:) Er, Daria said that your family--travels a lot.

JANE: Oooooh yeah--this place that I call "home" is a regular "revolving door". In one minute, out the next. It seems to me at times that Mom and dad are real blurs. I have to strain my eyes sometimes to just see either one still for a second. You ever had that sort of thing happen in your home with your adop--I mean, parents?

DARREN: Actually, no--and it's okay if you think of my parents as "adopted", Jane--I just don't. (Jane smiles, sheepishly:) My (adopted) parents worked hard, but they made time for me--me being what I thought an only child and all--they showered me with attention, but they didn't spoil me. Our off time was really off--they had a rule that any business calls not be made after 10:00 p.m., and not a minute more. I guess I was lucky.

JANE: (Looks down:) Yeah, I guess.

DARREN: (Changes the subject:) So, uh--have you told Trent about what happened with Tom yet?

Jane stared at Darren and gave look that said, "Are you kidding?", and smirked. Darren frowned slightly at Jane for a moment, perplexed, and then remembered.

DARREN: Oh, that's right--he's still asleep, isn't he?

JANE: Bingo. I'll tell 'em after he's been up for a few hours--it takes him a while to get going without his customary cup of coffee, you understand.

DARREN: (Chuckles:) Ah, yes, of course. Well, I'd better get going, Jane--(is about to go out the front door)

JANE: --Um, Darren?

DARREN: (Turns to her quickly:) Yes?

JANE: (Looks everywhere but at Darren, a little red-faced:) Er--well--I--just--wanted--to--know--if, well, uh, if that kiss made you feel, well--(adds quickly:) look, it's okay if you don't want to say anything. (Her voice trails off:) I didn't want to embarass you or something or another. (Thought v.o.: Or myself.)

Darren's eyes slowly grew wide, and his mouth was slightly open--was Jane asking him if he liked that kiss? Daria tried to ask, of course, but Darren couldn't really tell her because he wasn't quite sure how Jane felt--and himself as well. That and the fact he could not make himself believe that something did happen between the two in the Zen last night--or maybe even earlier when they first met--was that possible? Darren then took on a determined look, and stared down at Jane. He willed himself to get out the words.

DARREN: I--well--(long pause:) yes, I--liked that kiss you gave me. (Jane looks shocked beyond words) I--I'm sorry for feeling that way, Jane--I didn't want to put you on the spot like that. (Turns back to the door:) I'll go now.

Just as Darren was about to put his hand on the door handle, he saw a hand come from his right side, and it quickly rested on his. With his heart beating at a furious pace, he slowly turned back to Jane, who was looking up at him with a slight frown on her face.

JANE: (Tries to control her shaky voice:) D-don't you dare leave here until you hear me out, Darren! Just who in the hell are you to tell me that you liked that kiss, and then try to leave me hanging like that--just like what you said you didn't want me to feel on the "spot"? Don't you want to hear how I felt about it?

DARREN: (Looking contrite:) I-I'm sorry, Jane--you're right. I'll listen to you.

JANE: (Closes her eyes, looks pained, then stares straight up into Darren's eyes:) I--I liked that kiss too--a lot. (Now it's Darren's turn to look shocked) Damn it--I can't believe this is happening --I mean, I just met you directly for the first time yesterday, and I'm--well, (long pause:) attracted to you! (Turns and walks away from a now-dumbfounded Darren, stops in the middle of the living room, hugs herself, starts to sniffle:) Crap, crap, CRAP! It was just a damn kiss, that's all! Why can't I get it out of my mind? (Laughs bitterly:) I told Daria that Tom had a "pattern" that he seemed to follow when it came to our relationship--that he tried to control me at times. (Chokes back tears while trying to get out her words:) Well, it now seems that I'm the one who's in a pattern. (Darren looks confused) You see, I seem to be the type of girl who falls for a guy on the first look. (Snaps her fingers:) Just like that. I tried to play the field to just cover my loneliness until Daria came into the picture. I then realized that I found a true friend in your sister--she would be there for me and vice versa--I just wanted to have a friend, that's all. I fell for Tom at the first instant--I really thought it was right. When I saw you the first time, without all that damn mud on us, I did it again. (Depressed, Jane's shoulders slump, and she looks down)

Darren reluctantly walked up behind Jane. He hesitantly put a reassuring hand on Jane's shoulder, but she seemed to not notice him, for she kept talking.

JANE: (While still looking away from Darren:) Tom and I were on the skids for a while, you know? We didn't even kiss all that much in the last two months or so. (Pauses:) When I kissed you, I put all of myself into it because I hadn't done it like that for awhile--(becomes sarcastic:) that and the fact that you saved my life kind of contributed to it, too! (Turns to him, a slight tear coming down her cheek:) I was so damn selfish to kiss you in that manner! What would've happened if your girlfriend--fiancee, was alive? How would've she reacted? I could've maybe pecked you on the cheek when Rocco wanted to fight you! But noooo--I wanted to kiss you like that!

DARREN:(In a completely calm manner:) Jane, when you kissed me, it--well, kind of brought back memories of Stephanie--but I also know that Stephanie is gone. So what I'm saying is, is that the kiss I felt came from--you, and you only--not Stephanie. (Jane looks at him, deep in thought, and Darren chuckles quietly:) I had the same feelings that you did concerning Tom--I mean, how would he react to it? (Jane's about to say something, but Darren gently holds up his finger to cut her off:) Let me finish, now. I know now that the relationship you two shared is over following your conversation last night, and while it's true that I didn't see what you did coming, I allowed you to continue the kiss--I didn't--I didn't push you away. (Pauses, sighs:) Truth is, I guess I wanted you to do it for my own selfish reasons, too. (Looks down at Jane after a moment:) You say that you're attracted to me, right?

JANE: (After a moment, wipes her eye:) Yeah, I did--so?

DARREN: Are you afraid that the same thing might happen if you and I get--well--involved--you know, falling for a guy on the "first" look?

JANE: (Shrugs:) Maybe--maybe not. (Hesitates:) Are you--well--are you saying that you want to get involved with me? (Darren frowns slightly, thinks:) What about Daria and the other members of the Morgendorffer clan? How will they react? (Pauses, carefully chooses her next words to speak:) Are--are you attracted to me, Darren?

Darren paused for a moment, then gave a weak smile.

DARREN: Yes, I am, Jane. (Jane's mouth slightly opens--she's heard it with her own two ears, silently delighted) I don't know what Daria and the other members of my birth family might say, but it's my life, and not their's. (Pauses:) What--what do we do now?

Jane stared up at Darren, and gave a wicked smirk. Darren's eyes grew slightly wide, and he suddenly knew the answer as soon as he had asked it. She put her arms around his neck, and pulled him down to her, and started to kiss him. Darren at first reluctantly put his arms around Jane's lower back, then held her tighter, and returned the kiss. This time, there was no reluctance--no, none at all.

Go to Chapter 12 ******************************************************************************